Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone do Practical Pistol, Rifle or Shotgun competitions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Bananaman wrote: »
    What I did say is that IPDA is a US only pursuit - ala the "World Series" - it does not exist outside the US (well perhaps where there are US Army bases) but that if you go back far enough it would have a common ancestor to IPSC but that is where their common ground ends - much like Duelling and ISSF Free Pistol.

They are NOT variants on a theme - bar the fact that their both involve shooting - being a pilot does not make you an astronaut even though they both involve flying.

IPSC, on the other hand is a very large International Sport, on a par with the Olympic Shooting Disciplines. It is, in fact, not as popular in the US as it is in other countries. If memory serves USA is about 11th in the rankings of countries for registered IPSC competitors. It is competed in in every country in Europe (last time I looked, in 85 regions worldwide) whereas IPDA is not competed in, in any country, but the USA.
    Coincidentally I received an email from these people just over a week ago.

http://www.singaporeshooting.org/competitions/sosc/invitation.html

According to them, it's competed in by over 11,000 people in 19 different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

You have obviously spent more time on this than I have.

To answer the OPs question - again - no, nobody is shooting practical Handgun, Rifle or Shotgun in Ireland at the moment.

That will not change unless the law does or clarity on whether it is actually prohibited under the law is reached. I personally do not believe the law prohibits IPSC but do not have the personal finances required to seek the truth in this fine land of ours.

IDPA was never shot here and due to it's 'defensive' nature there was never any demand for it not unlikely to ever be.

I have never seen Human Targets used in Ireland in any civilian range and - while I cannot speak for the future - I can never see any civilian range allowing anyone to use them.

B'Man

Advertisement