Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Louth Accent

• 18-04-2011 5:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

A lot of people seem to think that the Louth accent sounds retarded.

Do you realise that Louth has at least three totally different accents?

A lot of people seem to think that Drogheda's is the Louth accent. I'm from Louth, and I would be ashamed to think that I would have a Drogheda accent. If people said that the Drogheda accent sounded retarded, I would agree with them. They can't even pronounce their r's or t's, in fact, i'm yet to meet a person from Drogheda that can to be honest.

The likes of Dundalk or Ardee are the opposite to Drogheda's in my opinion. They might sound culchie, but at least you can understand it.

For the people outside of Louth; How would you describe the Louth accent when it comes into your mind?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

It always sound like -
    Arrhdueee Couundy Louud.

A lot of people seem to think that Drogheda's is the Louth accent. I'm from Louth, and I would be ashamed to think that i've a Drogheda accent. If people said that the Drogheda accent sounded retarded, I would agree with them. They can't even pronounce their r's or t's, in fact, i'm yet to meet a person from Drogheda that can to be honest.

The likes of Dundalk or Ardee are the opposite to Drogheda's in my opinion. They might sound culchie, but at least you can understand it.

For the people outside of Louth; How would you describe the Louth accent when it comes into your mind?

Yep, Drogheda accent is definitely the only that's retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Unfortunately I will forever read your posts with a Louth accent in my head.
    Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawdy Smit.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Paddy_Smith

Yep, Drogheda accent is definitely the only that's retarded.
    Not sure about this, but I can sense sarcasm in your post. Hope i'm wrong.

I'm not convinced that it is purely a Drow-heda thing and I have met people from Dundawk and Ourdeee.
    That said, just because someone is from Louth, it doesn't mean they have a Louth accent, they might not.

In all honesty, perhaps the government should allocate speech therapy funds to Louth in order to rid the place of this affliction.

Someone once told me that they had an idea to have a sitcom set in Louth but all the actors would be people with down syndrome, I guess this gives one an idea of how the accent is perceived.

• Advertisement

Not sure about this, but I can sense sarcasm in your post. Hope i'm wrong.

The joys of the internet.

The joys of the internet.
    Sorry I see now. I corrected the mistake I made, there's probably a few more, but i'm bloody wrecked at the moment.

Yea 6am.. Why are people up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Yea 6am.. Why are people up?
    The internet never sleeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 audreykerr

The harsh Dundalk, Ardee and Drogheda accents are all annoyingly stupid sounding. The harsh accents also sound horrible, as does the majority of towns/cities in Ireland.

Come to think of it, the dumbest people I know are the ones with the harshest accents...but there's plenty of people in Louth who don't have the stereotypical Dundalk/Ardee/Drogheda accent, thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

audreykerr wrote: »
    The harsh Dundalk, Ardee and Drogheda accents are all annoyingly stupid sounding. The harsh accents also sound horrible, as does the majority of towns/cities in Ireland.

Come to think of it, the dumbest people I know are the ones with the harshest accents...but there's plenty of people in Louth who don't have the stereotypical Dundalk/Ardee/Drogheda accent, thankfully.
    No idea what you're talking about:P

No idea what you're talking about:P

Serious lol moment at 1:37 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Drogheda and Dunleer are the worst from my experiences. Last week on the Luas two different people asked me was I from the North. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

How would you describe the Louth accent when it comes into your mind?

Like nails on a chalkboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Two words

Well

Hey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In most of Ireland we say book

In Louth they say bewk

And what's up with Draww-heda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Offensive thread is offensive, hey.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

In various parts of Ireland I've been asked what part of england am I from , from my accent....the answer's always the same "xxxxing Dublin mate!"

Anyway I live in Drogheda and you really dont meet the locals much at all here...thankfully :D:D
    ........Snarf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A lot of people seem to think that Drogheda's is the Louth accent. I'm from Louth, and I would be ashamed to think that I would have a Drogheda accent. If people said that the Drogheda accent sounded retarded, I would agree with them. They can't even pronounce their r's or t's, in fact, i'm yet to meet a person from Drogheda that can to be honest.

You sir, are either trolling and/or full of crap.
    See more Louth/Drogheda people and you might just get an education. Reading the above rubbish, it indicates you certainly need one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

How would you describe the Louth accent when it comes into your mind?

One word (sort of), you's :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The-Rigger wrote: »

Someone once told me that they had an idea to have a sitcom set in Louth but all the actors would be people with down syndrome, I guess this gives one an idea of how the accent is perceived.

You mean they're just imitating their neighbours in Newry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I live in Drogheda, parents are from Dublin so I dont have a thick Drogheda accent, meh its what people say not how they say it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

My first boyfriend was from Drogheda. Oh man, I learned so many new words from him, it's like a whole different lingo up there.

I had never heard the word 'oxter' before I met him, and had no clue what he meant the first time he said "Where's your jellybag?" to me. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Yeah 3 different accents:

1) Mildly retarded
    2) Retarded
    3) Heavily retarded

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What does jellybag mean?

What does jellybag mean?

You know those woolly tea cosy type hats? That's a jellybag, apparently. So I said "Why don't you just call it a hat like a normal person" and he said "Well, that not very descriptive, there are many types of hats." Fair enough! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

You know those woolly tea cosy type hats? That's a jellybag, apparently. So I said "Why don't you just call it a hat like a normal person" and he said "Well, that not very descriptive, there are many types of hats." Fair enough! :pac:

Oh. My. Lord. :rolleyes: :pac:

kfallon wrote: »
    Yeah 3 different accents:

1) Mildly retarded
    2) Retarded
    3) Heavily retarded

:pac:
    ...Then there's mine.
    The village idiot! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Biggins wrote: »
    You sir, are either trolling and/or full of crap.
    See more Louth/Drogheda people and you might just get an education. Reading the above rubbish, it indicates you certainly need one!
    I think Biggins is from Drogehda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Norma_Desmond

I have cousins from Ardee and anything you ask them there's a 'Hi' added to it

eg.
    Where are you from?
    Ardee hi

How are you?
    Oh hi very well hi!!!

I don't understand it, why is everything hi in Ardee?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

eg.
    Where are you from?
    Ardee hi

How are you?
    Oh hi very well hi!!!

Maybe they were annoyed because you didn't say hi back.

...I don't understand it, why is everything hi in Ardee?!?!
    Feck all else to do in Ardee I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

They all sound Northern to me :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's horrible, it must be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

There are different accents for the two towns and then the rest of Louth.

Then there are different accents within the towns, usually depending on the socio-economic divide.

There is no ubiquitous Louth accent. Although the subtleties may be a matter of perception.

One of the last times I was in Cork the taxi man was just bowled over by my accent. He couldn't get enough of it, and pleaded with me never to lose it. :cool:

Louth accent, ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I love the drawdaaa accent and often get my mates from down there to say maazbazz for me coz it cracks me up.

I hate dundalk though, and not just the annoying accent. Will have the dubious pleasure of putting up with a couple of hundred of them next monday. Dam.

Witchie wrote: »
    I love the drawdaaa accent and often get my mates from down there to say maazbazz for me coz it cracks me up.

I hate dundalk though, and not just the annoying accent. Will have the dubious pleasure of putting up with a couple of hundred of them next monday. Dam.

lol! guy in school used to say that too, took me back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the closer to the Narth you go the worse the accent gets, border counties are horrible, but full blown Narthern accents are horrendous.

so they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

eg.
    Where are you from?
    Ardee hi

How are you?
    Oh hi very well hi!!!

I get this all the time

"whaaays may bill so high hi?"

eg.
    Where are you from?
    Ardee hi

How are you?
    Oh hi very well hi!!!

Yeah they say either 'Hi' or 'Hey'.

I actually like the Ardee accent, I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Still better than the "Doeblin" accent it has to be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Helow dere now how are ye?!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toobeyshaw

My first boyfriend was from Drogheda. Oh man, I learned so many new words from him, it's like a whole different lingo up there.

I had never heard the word 'oxter' before I met him, and had no clue what he meant the first time he said "Where's your jellybag?" to me. :eek:

I am from Drogheda.....never heard of 'oxter' or 'jellybag'! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

As a dub living in Drogheda, I can safely say the accent is the most annoying in Ireland. Even more annoying than those guys from cork whose voices never broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I like the it and my favourite word pronounced in a Louth accent is "book". I always try to get them to say this.

toobeyshaw wrote: »
    I am from Drogheda.....never heard of 'oxter' or 'jellybag'! :rolleyes:

My ex BF and another lad from Drogheda in my class both used those terms with regularlity. So put those rolleyes away.

As a dub living in Drogheda, I can safely say the accent is the most annoying in Ireland. Even more annoying than those guys from cork whose voices never broke.
    Yeah the Drogheda accent is quite annoying alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

From Dundalk, yeah, accent is a bit ****. Think I've mostly managed to not pick it up properly, people outside of Dundalk are usually surprised when I tell them. Although I seem to alternate between book and bewk, and have to remind myself that it rhymes with fuck :rolleyes:

Also, never heard of jellybag.

I'm amazed that people have never heard of jellybag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

have to say i loved the accents of the louth gardai on that tv series rte had about them!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement