Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Louth Accent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

Am from Dunleer and many would have mistaked my accent for Drogheda or Clogherhead (South Louth if you like) and to me its an insult if I come across with such an accent, I'll keep pinching myself in saying am culchie true and true :D.

Overall I don't see much wrong with a Louth accent in fact its one of the many accents in the country that doesn't seem to have much boggery to it unless of course from a Dublin point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toobeyshaw

My ex BF and another lad from Drogheda in my class both used those terms with regularlity. So put those rolleyes away.

The rolleyes weren't meant as an insult! I was merely stating that I had never heard those words, wish I'd used a different smiley now :D they didn't use them in my school but could have used them in a different one, or its possible a different agegroup to me

Not feeling the love for Drawda on this thread tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm from Louth, just outside Dundalk and have neither a Dundalk, Drogheda, Dunleer or Ardee accent.

Its your average neutral Irish (not bogger) accent, I feel blessed. People from Dundalk call me posh because I don't tack "hai" onto the end of every sentence. I think theres a compliment in there somewhere...

"hai"

I would like to refer to it as 'heyyyyyy' rather haha, I think as I got older I don't feel as if I say this as much at the end of every sentence maybe I have the right to feel blessed also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

francie81 wrote: »
    I would like to refer to it as 'heyyyyyy' rather haha, I think as I got older I don't feel as if I say this as much at the end of every sentence maybe I have the right to feel blessed also :D

I'm from Louth myself,go to college in Dublin and on a nightout had a few drinks and the word Heyyyyy slipt out........the slagging i got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The Drogheda accent is a mash up of a Dublin accent and a typical Louth accent really. Not sure why.

"Comin t' d' shop, I wanna buy a maaaaaaaahs baaaaaaaaah."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Arrrrrdeee Couuunty Louuuth, hai!

What is it with saying hi at the end of every sentence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Arrrrrdeee Couuunty Louuuth, hai!

What is it with saying hi at the end of every sentence?
    In fairness it is not just an Ardee thing, most people from Monaghan and a few from Cavan do it too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

My girlfriend is from Dun-Dawwkk so I have to agree with the OP on this one.

Although I haven't a clue what she is saying a lot of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I was born and bred in Louth. I actually can't place my accent. It's very neutral. Both of my parents were born in a different part of Ireland. It's a funny old accent I'll admit. Maaarzbaaa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

My dad is from the North and I never thought I'd say this but thankfully I got a bit of a Northern accent from him. It's bad enough heading Dundalk accents in general but worse when one chimes in amongst other accents. :pac: Have to admit though I really dislike a real Drogheda accent even more.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    In fairness it is not just an Ardee thing, most people from Monaghan and a few from Cavan do it too.

The distribution of accents in the Northeast outside of Dundalk and Drogheda is something that really fascinates me tbh. 5 mile away from me in three different directions there are three completely different accent but then some similar ones exist beyond areas that don't have it. Some of the accents out towards Monaghan are similar to mid-louth accents while others are like Annagassan ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Don't you mean Cyavin?

Yeah they stole that from Ardee and Dundalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

amacachi wrote: »
    The distribution of accents in the Northeast outside of Dundalk and Drogheda is something that really fascinates me tbh. 5 mile away from me in three different directions there are three completely different accent but then some similar ones exist beyond areas that don't have it. Some of the accents out towards Monaghan are similar to mid-louth accents while others are like Annagassan ones.

I think that's just a matter of being tuned-in to the local accents from living there.

I remember being with a Canadian who thought myself and a fella from Coalisland sounded exactly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

We most certainly do not.

Hookah wrote: »
    I think that's just a matter of being tuned-in to the local accents from living there.

I remember being with a Canadian who thought myself and a fella from Coalisland sounded exactly the same.

Ah yeah, I knew someone from England living here who said I just had a typical Louth accent while dubs pick up on the Nordie bit a lot more.

It's not so much how I notice the accents, just the way they're distributed that I find odd, like they don't seem to be on a continuum depending on the direction you go if you get what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Rds1989

We say hi in donegal aswell hi. Two of my housemates are from dundalk, one with a thick one and another who speaks in a generic irish accent which is hard to place. I think its a pretty cool accent, slightly funny and not as grating as a dublin(north or southside) accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

LOUTH NOISES!

Seannew1 wrote: »
    I'm from Louth myself,go to college in Dublin and on a nightout had a few drinks and the word Heyyyyy slipt out........the slagging i got.

Well believe it that one word seems to be the giveaway to the culchie accent.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »

I agree with you there,only really carrickmacross in Monaghan stands out to me as similar to North Louth but it still has that bit of northern twang which distinguishes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

My ears hurt coz had to listen to a load of Dundalk fans cursing at a referee today and giving out. Horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Witchie wrote: »
    My ears hurt coz had to listen to a load of Dundalk fans cursing at a referee today and giving out. Horrible.

Yeah, I can only imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Hopefully this doesnt offend too many but the Dundalk accent - it's a mixture of nordy and member of the traveling community!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Hopefully this doesnt offend too many but the Dundalk accent - it's a mixture of nordy and member of the traveling community!

Reported for abuse, hey :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Reported for abuse, hey :D

You are just right, that was highly offensive....to nordies and travellers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

A lotFor the people outside of Louth; How would you describe the Louth accent when it comes into your mind?

Steve Staunton.

Witchie wrote: »

Thats just terrible..........hey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

get pighead on the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Says it all:

*Somewhat NSFW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Maloney 2012

Can you all stop hating on Drogheda please!. If you all weren't go ignorant you'd realise we don't all say maas baas etc. I mean I can understand the rivalry between Dundalk and Drogheda , football teams and facilities etc, but people fron Ardee! Trying to slag of Drogheda is beyond a bloody joke. It's a tiny town in mid Louth, and tbh, it's one of the most boring places I've ever been too. Plus Ardee people slagging off our accent is laughable, just because we're the only place In Louth that doesn't have a Culchie accent, and we don't say HAI!! at the end of every sentence.Also Drogheda is one of the most historic towns in Ireland , we have beautiful old buildings and historic monuments , St Laurences gate, MIlmount , The head of Oliver plunkett in st peters church,etc. Nowhere else in the world has that!!!!. We also have the regional hospital , granted it has a lot of problems , but it's better than no hospital ie Dundalk and Ardee. Also Dundalk has been given prefferential treatment down through the years, because of minsters like Dermot Ahern who ignored Drogheda. Thats why they have the college , county council etc. Thw whole drogheda v Dundalk is pointless though, and Ardee doesn't even come into it that's like comparing Dublin to London . The is no comparison between Ardee and Drogheda or Scumdalk lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Can you all stop hating on Drogheda please!. If you all weren't go ignorant you'd realise we don't all say maas baas etc. I mean I can understand the rivalry between Dundalk and Drogheda , football teams and facilities etc, but people fron Ardee! Trying to slag of Drogheda is beyond a bloody joke. It's a tiny town in mid Louth, and tbh, it's one of the most boring places I've ever been too. Plus Ardee people slagging off our accent is laughable, just because we're the only place In Louth that doesn't have a Culchie accent, and we don't say HAI!! at the end of every sentence.Also Drogheda is one of the most historic towns in Ireland , we have beautiful old buildings and historic monuments , St Laurences gate, MIlmount , The head of Oliver plunkett in st peters church,etc. Nowhere else in the world has that!!!!. We also have the regional hospital , granted it has a lot of problems , but it's better than no hospital ie Dundalk and Ardee. Also Dundalk has been given prefferential treatment down through the years, because of minsters like Dermot Ahern who ignored Drogheda. Thats why they have the college , county council etc. Thw whole drogheda v Dundalk is pointless though, and Ardee doesn't even come into it that's like comparing Dublin to London . The is no comparison between Ardee and Drogheda or Scumdalk lol.

You seriously joined just to complain about an old thread?

I tried reading it, but I kept having to read it in a stupid Louth accent so my ears were hurting, then the lack of paragraphs hurt my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

has to the most annoying accent to listen to EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

You need to get out more hey!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

For the people outside of Louth; How would you describe the Louth accent when it comes into your mind?
    Like a drunk clown having a seizure?!

I love the accent though hey!

cloneslad wrote: »

You seriously joined just to complain about an old thread?

I tried reading it, but I kept having to read it in a stupid Louth accent so my ears were hurting, then the lack of paragraphs hurt my eyes.
    If you weren't so thick , you'd realise drogheda people don't have a Louth accent, I completely agree the Louth is horrible , but drogheda is different from the rest of the county. The same way Dublin is a distinct region in Ireland and different from the rest of Ireland culturally , economically etc. Also I was a member before but I deleted my account some months back.

If you weren't so thick , you'd realise drogheda people don't have a Louth accent, I completely agree the Louth is horrible , but drogheda is different from the rest of the county. The same way Dublin is a distinct region in Ireland and different from the rest of Ireland culturally , economically etc. Also I was a member before but I deleted my account some months back.

I'll let you fill in the blanks.

Drogheda is in Co. _____________.

You are from Drogheda, Co. ____________.

Therefore your accent is a ______________ accent.

Now go away with your horrible drawn out accent.

I'll let you fill in the blanks.

Drogheda is in Co. _____________.

You are from Drogheda, Co. ____________.

Therefore your accent is a ______________ accent.

Now go away with your horrible drawn out accent.
    You obviously didnt do geography at school because, if you did you would know Droghesa is on the Louth- Meath border, and part of Drogheda is actually in Meath!!! So to say if someone is from Drogheda they automatically have a Louth accent is a sweeping generalisation and false. And by you're name clones lad I'm assuming you're from Monaghan. You are in no position to be slagging off anyone elses accent are ye now wee lad. Thanks, and goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

follows for de lolz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Can you all stop hating on Drogheda please!HAI!. If you all weren't go ignorant you'd realise we don't all say maas baas etcHAI!. I mean I can understand the rivalry between Dundalk and DroghedaHAI! , football teams and facilities etcHAI!, but people fron ArdeeHAI!! Trying to slag of Drogheda is beyond a bloody jokeHAI!. It's a tiny town in mid LouthHAI!, and tbhHAI!, it's one of the most boring places I've ever been tooHAI!. Plus Ardee people slagging off our accent is laughableHAI!, just because we're the only place In Louth that doesn't have a Culchie accentHAI!, and we don't say HAI!! at the end of every sentenceHAI!.Also Drogheda is one of the most historic towns in IrelandHAI! , we have beautiful old buildings and historic monuments HAI!, St Laurences gateHAI!, MIlmount HAI!, The head of Oliver plunkett in st peters church,etcHAI!. Nowhere else in the world has thatHAI!!!!!. We also have the regional hospital HAI!, granted it has a lot of problems , but it's better than no hospital ie Dundalk and ArdeeHAI!. Also Dundalk has been given prefferential treatment down through the yearsHAI!, because of minsters like Dermot Ahern who ignored DroghedaHAI!. Thats why they have the college HAI!, county council etcHAI!. Thw whole drogheda v Dundalk is pointless thoughHAI!, and Ardee doesn't even come into it that's like comparing Dublin to London HAI!. The is no comparison between Ardee and Drogheda or Scumdalk lolHAI!.
    Fixed it.

Oh, anyone from Louth here, can I ask what a "KAAAAA PAAAAWWWKK" is, just cos I heard some Louth heads roaring about it on a bus one day.

You obviously didnt do geography at school because, if you did you would know Droghesa is on the Louth- Meath border, and part of Drogheda is actually in Meath!!! So to say if someone is from Drogheda they automatically have a Louth accent is a sweeping generalisation and false. And by you're name clones lad I'm assuming you're from Monaghan. You are in no position to be slagging off anyone elses accent are ye now wee lad. Thanks, and goodbye.

I did study it, but we studied places of importance, which, as I'm sure you know, did not include Louth.

You aren't from Meath though, you are from Louth. You're trying to be like those people claiming to be from Belfast, Co. Down. You named a load of things in Drogheda when you were bigging the place up (none of which sounded great) all of these were in Louth, not meath, so you are from Louth, you have a Louth accent.

Yes, you assume correct. I'm from Clones, which is in Monaghan, which means I have a ______________ accent.

Now, go enjoy
    "The head of Oliver plunkett in st peters church,etc. Nowhere else in the world has that!!!!. "
    Of course nowhere else in the world has that, he only had one head FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

I did study it, but we studied places of importance, which, as I'm sure you know, did not include Louth.

You aren't from Meath though, you are from Louth. You're trying to be like those people claiming to be from Belfast, Co. Down. You named a load of things in Drogheda when you were bigging the place up (none of which sounded great) all of these were in Louth, not meath, so you are from Louth, you have a Louth accent.

Yes, you assume correct. I'm from Clones, which is in Monaghan, which means I have a ______________ accent.

Now, go enjoy Of course nowhere else in the world has that, he only had one head FFS.

Ding Ding Ding...... KNOCKOUT.

Now, go enjoy
    "The head of Oliver plunkett in st peters church,etc. Nowhere else in the world has that!!!!. "
    Of course nowhere else in the world has that, he only had one head FFS.
    How do you know I have a Louth accent, have you ever met me?, no you haven't and you obviously have never been to Drogheda so you know nothing about it apart from the crap the media spew out about it and other places. You said none of the things I mentioned sounded nice , well come down for a look before judge., Clones ain't even a dot on the map mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Lots of love for the Louth accent on here. Thankfully I don't have the "raw" Ardee accent!

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Can you all stop hating on Drogheda please![COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR]. If you all weren't go ignorant you'd realise we don't all say maas baas etc[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR]. I mean I can understand the rivalry between Dundalk and Drogheda[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR] , football teams and facilities etc[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR], but people fron Ardee[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR]! Trying to slag of Drogheda is beyond a bloody joke[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR]. It's a tiny town in mid Louth[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR], and tbh[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR], it's one of the most boring places I've ever been too[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR]. Plus Ardee people slagging off our accent is laughable[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR], just because we're the only place In Louth that doesn't have a Culchie accent[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR], and we don't say HAI!! at the end of every sentence[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR].Also Drogheda is one of the most historic towns in Ireland[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR] , we have beautiful old buildings and historic monuments [COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR], St Laurences gate[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR], MIlmount [COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR], The head of Oliver plunkett in st peters church,etc[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR]. Nowhere else in the world has that[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR]!!!!. We also have the regional hospital [COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR], granted it has a lot of problems , but it's better than no hospital ie Dundalk and Ardee[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR]. Also Dundalk has been given prefferential treatment down through the years[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR], because of minsters like Dermot Ahern who ignored Drogheda[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR]. Thats why they have the college [COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR], county council etc[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR]. Thw whole drogheda v Dundalk is pointless though[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR], and Ardee doesn't even come into it that's like comparing Dublin to London [COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR]. The is no comparison between Ardee and Drogheda or Scumdalk lol[COLOR="Red"]HAI![/COLOR].
    Fixed it.

Oh, anyone from Louth here, can I ask what a "KAAAAA PAAAAWWWKK" is, just cos I heard some Louth heads roaring about it on a bus one day.
    It's your mothers vagina, she's riding a load of Louth guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can Iuv a mahs bah,a stah bah and a packet of Tay-oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

It's not about the accent. It's all about the person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can Iuv a mahs bah,a stah bah and a packet package-a of Tay-oh.
    fyp

Seems like I finally shut that Monaghan gob****e up. Thank God.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement