Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to's on WIN7 phone

Options
  • 18-04-2011 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

Guys,

I've bitten the bullet and got a HTC HD7.
    Now comes the bit where I'm going to have a load of questions:D
    1. I find that the battery seems to be emptying itself rather quickly.I've read that on some phones you can turn off some settings ... Does this exist for the WIN7 phones and how do you go about this?
    2. I've tried downloading one or to apps just to test and all say that attention is required. I havent synced the phone with a PC via zune yet(was to excited to 'waste' time, just want to get to use it), would this be the cause?
    3. Where did people get a case for their HTC HD7 or other phones?
    Thanks for now

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Turn off bluetooth and wifi if you're not using the. Vibrate alert will also use up more power then sound alert. Turning your screen brightness down to a lower setting can also save power.

In general the new large screen iOS, Android and WP7 smartphones do need to be charged every day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Turn off bluetooth and wifi if you're not using the. Vibrate alert will also use up more power then sound alert. Turning your screen brightness down to a lower setting can also save power.

In general the new large screen iOS, Android and WP7 smartphones do need to be charged every day

Thanks, I knew that I'b be loading it with electricity every night but .... i had to charge is during the day yesterday, ..... now I did play with it ... alot on sat and sun. Already had WIFI of, so followed suit with BLuetooth.

Is there any SW running in the background which would eat battery that can be turned off?

Well make sure you exit apps completely if you're finished with them as in the background they will use up battery. If you're a heavy user of the device then you may have to charge during the day. It's a problem with all of these phones. And it may get worse when dual core processors come out if they haven't worked out better battery saving techniques.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Well make sure you exit apps completely if you're finished with them as in the background they will use up battery. If you're a heavy user of the device then you may have to charge during the day. It's a problem with all of these phones. And it may get worse when dual core processors come out if they haven't worked out better battery saving techniques.

how can you be sure you have exited out completely? I'm using the '<-' button to come out of anything I'm using. is that enough?

ok.

I charged the phone from 23:00 last night till 06:00 this morning(light on top was green). I have barely used the phone and the battery is already 1/2 empty.

I've turned:

WiFi -> OFF
    Bluetooth -> OFF
    Location -> OFF
    Brightness -> Medium(but like I said phone hardly used today)
    Phone Update -> Only check over WiFi
    I've no email accounts set up yet

I did notice the phone interfered with the radio alarm clock all night(not in THAT way!!:cool:), like in the old days when you have a text coming through.
    sounds like something is trying to communicate?

• Advertisement

it could be emails or apps updating during the night. If you're hardly using it then it should last a day at least. Try a battery pull for 30 seconds and charge it up again and see how long it lasts with normal usage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I have the same phone. With regard to the apps, I think its Marketplace that's the problem as I am also having trouble at times downloading or updating apps.

I charge my phone at night, then have to charge it during the day too but I use it a good bit. One thing that I've noticed is if you charge it fully, then start using it while its still plugged into the charger it won't automatically start to recharge, you have to plug it back in again.

I got a case for mine off eBay but i hardly use it tbh, phone is big enough as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Well battery life wont be great for the first 2 weeks atleast. Till you wear in the battery. Also the new factor that you will be playing with it alot more.

Ive found the battery life to be poor in HD7. Its a relatively large LCD with a small battery. Biggest battery consumer in the phone is the screen. So the bigger the screen the shorter the battery life.

Ive got a case in Ilac in Dublin in a chinesse shop. But they were rubbish. Just got one of ebay. But as before phone is big enough and putting on the skin makes it bigger. Though it increased the responsivness of the power and volume and camera buttons. Which on HD7 i think their not giving enough feedback when you press it.

Ive got myself a vynil skin designed for the phone on the internet. Its like a screen protector for the phone. Just it protects the whole phone.

There was a bug with Marketplace but the recent update should have fixed it. If you plug your phone into the PC and Check for one with Zune you should find it :) App updating was fixed. Marketplace crash too.

Though as i said. Battery life for me on HD7 was pretty poor. I always used to have to charge it around 7PM when taking it off around 7am. So thats 12 hours of data always on. 1h+ of music and some games and internet browsing.

Hence why i traded in for an Omnia 7. The smaller screen and a larger battery seems to make a massive difference. Can go nearly two days on one charge with my Omnia 7 now.

looks like i'll be installing zune on the PC this eve and syncing up! ;)

Am I correct in thinking that the phone will charge off the PC also?
    Can you get more of the USB leads?

Yes it will charge while plugged in to the PC. But the charge rate will be lower than what it would be being plugged into the socket

A simple USB cable will do with the same type of connector. Typically most phones now (except apple) carry the same type of USB connection. So the Micro USB cable from previous phone should work

• Advertisement

Yes it will charge while plugged in to the PC. But the charge rate will be lower than what it would be being plugged into the socket

A simple USB cable will do with the same type of connector. Typically most phones now (except apple) carry the same type of USB connection. So the Micro USB cable from previous phone should work

sorry for being a little slow, but I had a samsung jet, does that cable match?

I did say there would be a lot of questions ....

Is there an app to check your bill, minutes/texts/data left for the WP7?

Dont worry :)

Unfortunatelly no. As far as i talked to one dev he was planning on it but got shut down cause of some copyright troll. So maybe in the future.

Theres a web text app that said how much of what left. I just had a link on the browser saved to mymeteor website to have a look at them.

If you got more question you might get more replies here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056001288

All the boardsies mainly talk on this thread so you might get more responses.

Advertisement