Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths

• 18-04-2011 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

I am starting 5th year in September which means that we will be the second year to start the project maths course (besides the pilot schools). I was just wondering is project maths harder or easier than the old course? Will it be harder or easier to do well in? I got an A in higher level Junior cert so I hope to keep up higher level for leaving cert...I don't really understand what project maths is or how much of the course is changing for people sitting the exam in 2013? Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

No offence, but an A in Junior Cert maths means nothing. I know a load of people who got As and Bs in JC maths and were moving to pass maths after a few months of 5th year. When I was in 5th year there was about 50 of us doing higher level at the start, and there were 12 of us left by the end of 6th year.

AFAIK, Project Maths takes away all the hardcore theoretical maths the original syllabus had. It's packed in with probability and statistics, which is really easy stuff.

Frankly I saw the book people are using and it's a disaster. They're trying to teach Calculus making to reference to limits, or even explaining what a derivative actually is. Recipe for disaster if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Guest2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Im thrilled I missed it. Had a look at the book in town last week and it looks horrible. I don't know the marking system, but it seems to me like you'll either be right or wrong and that's it.

Current 6th years are lucky IMO. Amazed that there's only 6 different sections in the new course. Old one had one and a half for contents!

Advertisement