Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading a 17" 2008 mac book pro harddrive

• 18-04-2011 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm running out of space on my MBP and I was thinking of upgrading the HDD.
    My question is will an authorised Apple Repair centre be a better place to get the upgrade performed if I still have time left on my warranty.
    I was planning on upgrading to the hybrid drive so I'd have a lot more space and the OS might run a bit quicker.
    Anyone able to help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If you've time left on your warranty then I'd get an authorised reseller to do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

AppleCare won't upgrade the drive under warranty. They'll charge you.

Is this a unibody MacBook Pro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

If you do it yourself you void the warranty.
    As said Apple will charge you for it as its not covered with applecare (probably a lot too).
    If you need to do it yourself look at http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/MacBook-Pro-17-Inch-Models-A1151-A1212-A1229-and-A1261-Hard-Drive-Replacement/319/1

Think thats the right model.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

AppleCare won't upgrade the drive under warranty. They'll charge you.

Is this a unibody MacBook Pro?
    Hi Professor,
    it isn't the unibody model. I could do the upgrade myself but I'd be worried about damaging anything especially if I still have some warranty left.
    A rough estimate I heard was for 150 to put in the harddrive and the cost of the drive too. Apple makes their kit very hard to get into without the proper gear so it might be worth letting the pros at it.
    Has anyone else ever done a mac HDD upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

I upgraded the HD in my 2007 15" MBP. Took a while, and lots of little fiddly screws to remove. but all in all worked perfectly. Just make sure you've backed up everything first!

That said my warranty was out so was willing to risk it. Since then I've opened up my machine a good few times to first clean the fan, and then to replace the fan. No time did I have any issues and the laptop is still going strong.

I've some photos of it somewhere so will send a link if I can find them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Its a very easy process if you just take your time and follow the instructions closely. Make sure to keep track of where all of the screws come from.

Good idea to back up first: Super Duper is a good program if you dont have Time Machine Backups - http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html.

Advertisement