Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using cream in cupcakes

Options
  • 18-04-2011 11:34am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a lovely recipe for chocolate fondant cupcakes that I want to use. You hollow out the middle and fill with melted chocolate mixed with cream. But would you need to store these in the fridge considering there's cream in them? It doesn't say anything about storage in the recipe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Personally, I would. I'd store other cream filled things in the fridge (like chocolate eclairs). Is it actualy whipped cream in the middle or just sauce made with cream?

also, is there anything in the world better than cream? /drools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

So the melted chocolate is mixed completely with the cream? If so then they would be fine out of the fridge, once the cream is heated and used as part of a ganache it is ok for a few days out of the fridge.

But I'm curious about that "Fondant" bit of it, the chocolate mix will return to solid and especially if kept in fridge that middle bit would be really hard after a while, are they meant to be eaten immediately while it's still molten or no? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

watna wrote: »
    ...is there anything in the world better than cream? /drools
    Yes - cream mixed with chocolate! ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Spadina wrote: »
    So the melted chocolate is mixed completely with the cream? If so then they would be fine out of the fridge, once the cream is heated and used as part of a ganache it is ok for a few days out of the fridge.

But I'm curious about that "Fondant" bit of it, the chocolate mix will return to solid and especially if kept in fridge that middle bit would be really hard after a while, are they meant to be eaten immediately while it's still molten or no? :confused:

Yeah, it's a ganache, exactly.

Ganache doesn't really harden out of the fridge though, it stays fairly soft. It's a Hummingbird Bakery recipe so I doubt they're designed to last too long, but probably not while it's still molten. The fondant bit presumably just refers to a liquid-ish filling, rather than a typical chocolate fondant dessert.

Yeah ganache should stay pretty soft, especially with this warm weather, depends on the ratio of chocolate to cream though. Sounds yummy though, I have a tendency to slather some ganache on any spare chocolate cupcakes or cake scraps that come my way, yum :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Actually, Spadina, while I have you! I have another recipe that I managed to cut the bottom off. They involve a meringue topping, and the recipe talks about heating the sugar with water and then adding to the egg whites. What I can't see is whether I need to grill them or not considering I'm adding hot sugar syrup? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Sounds like Italian Meringue, Faith. It can be cooked or left as is. You can use it in frozen desserts too, like Cassata, or baked alaska(yum!!)

The hot syrup stabilises the egg whites and effectively cooks them, it has a slightly different texture to regular meringue, hard to describe, but its not as light. Great for icing though!

shinikins wrote: »
    Sounds like Italian Meringue, Faith. It can be cooked or left as is. You can use it in frozen desserts too, like Cassata, or baked alaska(yum!!)

The hot syrup stabilises the egg whites and effectively cooks them, it has a slightly different texture to regular meringue, hard to describe, but its not as light. Great for icing though!

I concur! :)

Advertisement