Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint Ownership of Firearms?

Options
  • 18-04-2011 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi.
    Does anybody have or know if Joint Ownership of firearms is possible??
    And what are the restrictions ect.
    Thank you for your time.
    G.G.H.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Joint ownership I'm not sure of (I don't know a huge amount of property law), but multiple people can have licences for the same firearm easily enough - in fact, the training licence is dependant on that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

You can own as many firearms as you want, many people can own one.

You each need a licence to posses (physically hold) a firearm, 2 people could own the gun but if only 1 has a licence they would be the only party allowed use the gun.

eg I bought my gun before I had a licence for it, the dealer released the gun on production of cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I'm in the process of getting joint licencing on the brothers rifle at the moment.
    The only "restriction" is that each person is treated the same as if they owned the gun themselves so if it moves you into a different security category you will probably have to upgrade your security arrangements(i.e alarm the room,put in a house alarm etc).If on the other hand this will be your only firearm,then you might get away with something as simple as a trigger lock.
    Best advice is to talk to your local FO or CPO personnally and explain what you are intending.That way you will avoid lots of hassle.

Good luck.

Vizzy wrote: »
    each person is treated the same as if they owned the gun themselves so if it moves you into a different security category

That should't be the case?

maglite wrote: »
    That should't be the case?

I'm open to correction but once you are "joint licenced" you are then the holder of a firearm and I think that you then require whatever level of security that is appropriate to the number of firearms
    ( I had a look at the Regulations and that was how they read to me)
    If I am wrong I will be delighted as it will mean that I wont move to the next level

• Advertisement

But its still the one Firearm. The regs class the security in terms of firearms not licences.

*someone else like to chime in?

EDIT: Should point out I have assumed the same household

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I would describe the "arrangement" as joint license holders and not joint ownership as the Gardai/law does not care (really) who pays for the firearm, merely that the candidates meet the required criteria to be licensed.

To that end both parties must meet the same criteria when applying. If one person already owns the firearm and the other merely wants to license it then they add the original license holders details on the FCA1. The firearm is stored and kept at the premises of the first license holder and on your seperate info sheet you make a point to note this.

This means the person seeking the second license on the same firearm does not need to meet any secure storage requirments.

Now if both parties are applying for the license together, intend to pay half and half, and store the firearm at their respecive homes on alternate nights, then they must each meet the criteria set out in the secure storage SI. If this is an addtional firearm, ie. you already own other firearms, and it puts you into the next security level then you may be required to upgrade.

Its dependant on the type of application and storage arrangements. Also do not think of having one person as the "primary" license holder, and the other as the secondary and telling the Gardai that it will be stored in one house only and then go and leave it in the other even for a night. Its a breach of the law not to mention a fraudulent application and will land both of the people involved in trouble. Just a heads up, but you already know this.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Yeah, thats the way I read the Regs,but, I suppose,more importantly,thats the way the FO read them as well

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

On the secure storage point, if the firearm is licenced by several people, they don't all have to have the secure storage in their homes. If Paddy and Mick both have a licence for a rifle and it lives in the safe in Mick's house, then Paddy doesn't need a safe as he's met the security requirements by leaving the rifle in Mick's safe.

The requirement is that there be secure storage for the firearm; if happens to be somewhere other than your home, that's perfectly fine (I don't store mine at home, for example, and had no trouble with the licences, I just got the club to draft a letter to the FO saying that the rifles were stored in the club safe).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GreatGayHunter

Cheers for the Info,

it would be 1 rifle in one safe at the same house as both parties.
    if the Pistol come in for Xmas it would be shared also, seperate safe for it.

looking at the below, any thoughts as a starter target pistol??
    Hammerli x-esse

Cheers,

G.G.H

Been to the Cop shop the last 2 nights, with no success at meeting the Srgt, opens from 7-9, Monday to Friday, but closed last night at 7.45……. will try again, again ect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I've done this on multiple firearms for years without any problems. There is space on the form for the other persons FAC number.

Right so, they have to apply for FAC for the same rifle. or supervise them at the range at all times..

Will see how much they want to shoot over the coming months.

Thanks Again.

G.G.H

Sorted,
    just had a call from the Gardá, as you said, fill in the FAC and add my details send it in, job done.

save us getting another Rifle, on to the Pistol....... wish me luck......

cheers.

G.G.H

Advertisement