Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Melbourne Boards Beers

Options
  • 17-04-2011 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

would anyone be up for a boards beer evening in melbourne??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Tell you what - I'd be up for it if you hold it in the Backpackers pub, Bev & Micks Backpackers, West Melbourne (off the top of Spencer Street, where the big train station is - not least because then I can bring my dog).

(edit to add: That's McMahons Hotel, 575 Spencer Street, West Melbourne)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

burkulosis wrote: »
    would anyone be up for a boards beer evening in melbourne??

Ya defo. Count me in. If people want to get cheap drink during the week I'd suggest Turf bar on Queens St. $5 pints of Carlton & Bulmers & $5 Vodka & dash etc. Always packed on a Weds night and free entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Turf bar is nice alright, food ain't bad there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 admiraltebrown

Yeah I've been in Melbourne 10 months and a similar story. Cracking city, met good people but I do lack reliable group to go drinkin with. So count me in on a get together!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Lads someone create a thread called "Melbourne Boards beer" - it will be much clearer for all people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    Ya defo. Count me in. If people want to get cheap drink during the week I'd suggest Turf bar on Queens St. $5 pints of Carlton & Bulmers & $5 Vodka & dash etc. Always packed on a Weds night and free entry.

O'shea?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 burkulosis

Tell you what - I'd be up for it if you hold it in the Backpackers pub, Bev & Micks Backpackers, West Melbourne (off the top of Spencer Street, where the big train station is - not least because then I can bring my dog).

(edit to add: That's McMahons Hotel, 575 Spencer Street, West Melbourne)

how about somewhere central for the first one? just so its handy for everyone to get to? ive plans for Easter, but how about the weekend after?

or would ppl prefer midweek?

Weekend would be preferable for me because of work. Never been to a boards beers but now might be the time

how about somewhere central for the first one? just so its handy for everyone to get to? ive plans for Easter, but how about the weekend after?

or would ppl prefer midweek?

Weekend would be better.

I quite like beering at McMahons at 575 Spencer St because:
    • It's less than 5 minutes walk from North Melbourne Station (accessible from Flinders Street, Southern Cross, Melbourne Central etc. in just a few mins)
    • Trams run nearby - anything that stops at the LaTrobe/Spencer Street junction works because that's less than a 10 minute walk from the pub (route 75 tram).
    • There's free after-work parking around it - quite a bit of it - for anyone who has to drive.
    • There's a large beer garden for the smokers.
    • They don't do food, but there are various burger places etc. very near by.
    • It's a backpackers joint anyway so those of you who are backpacking will find yourself in similar company.
    It's the parking and trains that sells it to me though, plus the fact that I know I will be able to get some booze, and a seat, and be able to hear and hold a conversation, even though there's no food to be had, as opposed to one of the more central bars where it can tend to be a struggle to get to the bar, find a space, so on, so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Count me in. Not fussy as to where and when. Cheap booze would be nice though.

We are never going to be able to get a day that everyone can make it so OP pick a day and whoever can come will come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Yeah, id be up for a few beers alright. Weekend would suit better, work and that!! Whats about something more casual like a Saturday arvo? (getting the lingo!!)
    Easter not a good weekend but one after sure!

Karl

yea that place in spencer street sounds good. how about Sat 30th around 3pm? does that suit people?

yea that place in spencer street sounds good. how about Sat 30th around 3pm? does that suit people?

If saturday afternoon is the preference then I insist we go to the Banff on Fitzroy Street. From 3pm to 6pm there is happy hour on saturdays with 2 dollar pots and 8 dollar jugs. Would be hard pushed to find a better deal on a saturday afternoon in Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

i second banff! i love the place! used to live behind it and it was like my liveing room!

Is that Banff out in St Kilda west? I'll still give it a go but no guarantees - that adds half an hour to my journey (which is already 70 mins)

at those prices, there is no need to insist! is that fitzroy in st kilda or brunswick??

at those prices, there is no need to insist! is that fitzroy in st kilda or brunswick??

Fitzroy St in St Kilda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

St.Kilda? You mean you want me to cross the river? Not sure about that!:eek:

Actually I'm pretty sure I'll still come.

Anyone up for turf bar tonight?? $5 pints of Carlton ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

I want to go!! darn you cotton picking!!! have it in June :D

• Advertisement

Right guys, we need to pick a time otherwise we'll still be here in 6 months time debating when we should meet up.

So are well all happy with next saturday at The Banff at 3pm?

Yeah sounds good to me. Just out of interest what's the average age of boards Melbourne members. I'm 24

Slunk wrote: »
    Yeah sounds good to me. Just out of interest what's the average age of boards Melbourne members. I'm 24

I'm 26 next month.

Right so unless there is widespread dissatisfaction in the next few hours we'll confirm the time and location to be Banff on Fitzroy St in St Kilda, Saturday 30th April 2011 at 3pm. Confirm your attendance here :)

cool, yea im in. im 31

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Moosey2Loosey

Hey there, I'm fairly new to boards but I'll come along. I'm 29 for the record.

The more the better! It shouldn't be too hard to find each other on Saturday. Last time I was there on a Saturday it wasn't close to being packed at 3pm, and the place isn't too big, so just aim for the Irish accents and theres a decent chance that it will be boardsies.

Looking forwards to a good session. Its been a nightmare trying to get to know people over here.

Lesson learnt: When moving over from Oz move into a hostel for the first couple of months to establish a group of friends, then find a place of your own. Heading straight into a house was a dumb move on my part!

do u think a hostel is a good idea? im living with my brother atm, gonna find a flat share in a month or 2 and was just gonna answer some adds on gumtree and hope for the best. im not really a hostel living type, actually i hate the idea!

do you think its a bad idea to move straight into a house??

do u think a hostel is a good idea? im living with my brother atm, gonna find a flat share in a month or 2 and was just gonna answer some adds on gumtree and hope for the best. im not really a hostel living type, actually i hate the idea!

If you want to meet people I'd recommend you start off in hostels. I was half nervous about staying in hostels before I came to Oz but they can be a good laugh if you meet the right people. You will find groups there whoo are snobby but other people will welcome ya in their groups etc. All depends on the hostel and room mates etc. made friends in 1 of the hostels and living in an apartment with them now which is 5-10min walk from Melbourne CBD

Living in a hostel was never what I wanted to do coming out. I wanted to really get to know the locals. But after 4 months I have made very few friends (1-2 maybe). The rest just aquaintances that you meet for the odd drink ever now and again. Its so frustrating. I could have easily stayed in a hostel from the start and there would be no problem but I wanted to move out of my comfort zone and actually get to know the people of the country I am living in. But it aint so easy at all.

I'm currently debating doing the farmwork for my 2nd year but I ask myself the question, what am I staying here for? Who am I staying here for?. I'll come back in December from my 3 months farmwork and be just as much of a stranger to this city as I was when I first arrived.

I'd recommend you start in a hostel. Hopefully you get a good crowd of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Count me in for the drinks. 29 for the record.

About the hostel. I would agree that it is a great place to meet people. Not my idea of fun or something i did here but others i know have and it worked out great. If you can handle dorm living and lack of privacy, do it. You will have to make the effort though and chat to people!

Advertisement