Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Melbourne Boards Beers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 burkulosis

04072511 wrote: »
    Living in a hostel was never what I wanted to do coming out. I wanted to really get to know the locals. But after 4 months I have made very few friends (1-2 maybe). The rest just aquaintances that you meet for the odd drink ever now and again. Its so frustrating. I could have easily stayed in a hostel from the start and there would be no problem but I wanted to move out of my comfort zone and actually get to know the people of the country I am living in. But it aint so easy at all.

I'm currently debating doing the farmwork for my 2nd year but I ask myself the question, what am I staying here for? Who am I staying here for?. I'll come back in December from my 3 months farmwork and be just as much of a stranger to this city as I was when I first arrived.

I'd recommend you start in a hostel. Hopefully you get a good crowd of people.

ah god thats really kinda sad :( do you play any sports or are you ito joining some teams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

burkulosis wrote: »
    ah god thats really kinda sad :( do you play any sports or are you ito joining some teams?

Yeh I run with Richmond Harriers Athletics Club. Have met lots of nice people through that but just like my job they are all of different ages. Some 12-13, some 50-60. I haven't met too many around my age to be honest and there aren't that many social events it seems. The track meets are very fun though.

Yeh I run with Richmond Harriers Athletics Club. Have met lots of nice people through that but just like my job they are all of different ages. Some 12-13, some 50-60. I haven't met too many around my age to be honest and there aren't that many social events it seems. The track meets are very fun though.

would ya play soccer at all or rugby? i joined a soccer club when i got here, loadsa ppl my age, 25 - 35 age bracket, nice girls too. those sorts of clubs always have social nights out. or theres always the gaa clubs, im constantly told how good those are for meeting ppl, but ive never played gaa or followed it so have absolutely no interest in joining it.

would ya play soccer at all or rugby? i joined a soccer club when i got here, loadsa ppl my age, 25 - 35 age bracket, nice girls too. those sorts of clubs always have social nights out. or theres always the gaa clubs, im constantly told how good those are for meeting ppl, but ive never played gaa or followed it so have absolutely no interest in joining it.

The problem is I'm absolutely hopeless at those sports :)

Athletics is the sport I enjoy the most (competing and watching) so I naturally joined a club in that area.

While I love watching rugby, I played it in school until 2nd year and hated it. I don't have the body for it. GAA I played until I was about 8 years olf, was useless at it and so quit. Never really enjoyed playing it to be honest. Soccer I would always enjoy playing as a kid. Was a decent defender I suppose. Overall I wasn't great though. I guess I don't have the skills for ball sports.

Not sure how realistic it is to fit in 2 sports, and wouldn't want to give up the athletics as I enjoy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Pretty sure I won't make it to St Kilda on the 30th - I've a fancy dress party up in Vantage Point that evening, need to be there around 6-7pm I think, so there's the whole thing of getting in from the country, heading to St Kilda, drinking, then getting costume and out to party - heading into the 'too hard' bracket. Still and all, if I can make it I will. And I'm older than you lot. A bit. Somewhat. That doesn't mean I'm not superfun though.

<__<
    >__>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Randomname37

Hi everyone,

I am in the same boat as many of yis,have been in Melbourne for a while and have nt really met many people, would like to join in with the few drinks on Saturday!.

By the way does anyone know where would be good to see the Leinster Euro cup semi, on Saturday?, would anyone be up for watching that?

Hi everyone,

I am in the same boat as many of yis,have been in Melbourne for a while and have nt really met many people, would like to join in with the few drinks on Saturday!.

By the way does anyone know where would be good to see the Leinster Euro cup semi, on Saturday?, would anyone be up for watching that?

What time does the game start Melbourne time? We could definetely head somewhere later in the evening after Banff. I've heard the Corkman is a very good Irish bar and I'm sure it would be shown there.

I think it is on at 12.30 Oz time, its been shown on Setanta !

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Hi everyone,

By the way does anyone know where would be good to see the Leinster Euro cup semi, on Saturday?, would anyone be up for watching that?[/

It should be on in Pj O' Brians bar on Southbank and in Charles Dickens bar in Collins Street. My self and my house mate whos a Leinster fan will prob be going out some where to watch it. More than welcome to join us? I'm a Munster man but been Irish I hope Leinster win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dar_oz

hey guys. I'd join ye at some stage if your going watching the rugby on saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Brianb8802

Will be working Saturday but should get there for about 4 or so, only living across the road. The girlfriend said she'll come along aswell. Wouldn't mind getting the match in, is there anywhere in St Kilda that will be showing it?

cool so, looking fwd to it. if any of ye want to msg me for my number so we can organise, otherwise someones gonna have to volunteer to wear a red flower in their jacket so we'll know the group.... do i have any volunteers???

cool so, looking fwd to it. if any of ye want to msg me for my number so we can organise, otherwise someones gonna have to volunteer to wear a red flower in their jacket so we'll know the group.... do i have any volunteers???

Just PM'ed you.

With regards the match we can sort out a place to go once we are all together saturday afternoon. The game is not until much later anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 admiraltebrown

Good work people, I'm in and will see if I can round up a few more troops. Just PMed you there burkulosis.

nice one guys, looking fwd to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

By the way does anyone know where would be good to see the Leinster Euro cup semi, on Saturday?, would anyone be up for watching that?[/

It should be on in Pj O' Brians bar on Southbank and in Charles Dickens bar in Collins Street. My self and my house mate whos a Leinster fan will prob be going out some where to watch it. More than welcome to join us? I'm a Munster man but been Irish I hope Leinster win :)

ill be on for watching the match, Ill go to PJ.s or to the dickins either or.

Just PM'd you there, cheers, see everyone tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Moosey2Loosey

Just PM'd you there Burkulosis,
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

How'd you go with this.
    I was walking down Elizabeth street at 6 pm on saturday and thought, fook!! Totally forgot it was on!

ah yea it was good fun and nice to meet a few ppl. sure we might arrange another one in a couple of weeks if ppl are interested?

• Advertisement

ah yea it was good fun and nice to meet a few ppl. sure we might arrange another one in a couple of weeks if ppl are interested?

We are looking at doing it again on saturday if your up for it. This time we'll make sure everybody has a contact number for one of us as there were 5 people in Banff on saturday up until closing time and we never met them simply because they had no way of contacting us.

We are looking at doing it again on saturday if your up for it. This time we'll make sure everybody has a contact number for one of us as there were 5 people in Banff on saturday up until closing time and we never met them simply because they had no way of contacting us.

Count me in defo on for a few beers on Saturday again, good craic last Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

I'm up for it this Sat defo. Where abouts? Some where in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

oh....second date, very exciting!!:p
    Not about this saturday. Where you meeting this time, just in case things change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Have you thought of the elephant and wheelbarrow?

Alright guys. We are going to meet again this saturday, again in Banff on Fitzroy Street in St Kilda for happy hour, at 4pm. I'm sure we can stumble over to the Elephant and Wheelbarrow after.

Please PM me for my number so we can all find each other on saturday. And please dont leave it until saturday afternoon to PM me as I do not have an iPhone to check my mails when at Banff :)

See you all saturday.

im not around for the next 2 weeks but def up for it again. have a good one on sat :)

See you all at the Banff today at 4pm. If you cant find us just ask until you find us. The place is not that big so shouldn't be hard to find us.

Good craic again last night. We are going to the Corkman next thursday for anyone who is interested in joining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Whats the break down of the group-boys, girls, couples? Don't want to crash in on a loads of young uns on the pull... :D

Advertisement