Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

daisies and dandelions in lawn

Options
  • 18-04-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

has anybody any idea if there is any product that would kill daisies and dandelion in my lawn....i HATE them
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never understood the dislike for them, they add a bit of colour to a monotonous lawn.

first thing though - don't cut your grass too short, gives weeds a better chance to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

If the lawn isn't infested then use a spot weeder spray. Make sure it is suitable for the lawn! Doff is good

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

Thanks for replies.MAGICB, my garden is approximately 2 acres so when youre looking at that many daisies and dands they get a bit much! Thanks redser but im afraid a spot killer wouldnt suffice.any other ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Sorry, the small urban garden is my bag so I couldn't advise about bulk products, I'm sure someone else will. They usually say check the local co-op :-)
    But regular mowing is a great natural way to keep weeds back and strengthen/thicken the grass. Strong healthy grass = weak weeds and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

For large lawns use D50 for weed control &7/6/17+potash for feeding, both available from agri stores.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

I'm a fan of daisies and dandelions too (great colour and food source for our insect buddies) but I accept they're not everyones bag. You need to get a bag of weed and feed from Woodies or another garden centre. There are lots of brands- all fairly equal IMO. Its basically a product that kills flat leaved weeds and fertilises the grass. Keep your grass fairly long for the next month or two. The weed and feed should be used once every 6 weeks during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

back again... has anyone ver used 2 4 D or MCPA? I have seen them mentioned on another forum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

back again... has anyone ver used 2 4 D or MCPA? I have seen them mentioned on another forum?

I just bought Damine which contains 2 4 D. Just sprayed it around yesterday so will report back how it goes. Also big lawn with dandelions, daisies and thistles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Rinker wrote: »
    I'm a fan of daisies and dandelions too (great colour and food source for our insect buddies) but I accept they're not everyones bag. You need to get a bag of weed and feed from Woodies or another garden centre. There are lots of brands- all fairly equal IMO. Its basically a product that kills flat leaved weeds and fertilises the grass. Keep your grass fairly long for the next month or two. The weed and feed should be used once every 6 weeks during the summer.

Who wouldn't prefer a meadow to a manicured, lifeless lawn?
    Who knows what else you are wiping out when you nuke an area that size?

Advertisement