Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAS photovoltaic

Options
  • 18-04-2011 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

hi i was just wondering does anybody know why fas have stopped running there domestic photovoltaic installation course????

i was interested in doing it as i jad seen it advertised on their website a while ago.

i checked again today and couldnt find any trace.

i think it was run in finglas

cheers

stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭rob w

I had my name down to do it, was supposed to start today but got a letter to say they werent doing it anymore. Something to do with the course not being approved by the manager of the fas centre!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

i was talking to a lad that said he done it and he said it was a good hands on course.

i wonder what the issue is with it?

i was hoping to do it as it would be a good course to have under my belt if i decided to head to australia.

are they planning on restarting it any time soon?

cheers
    stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Apart from a funding problem PV doesn't make sense unless u have feed-in tariffs and one of the 'benefits' of the competition in the elec market here in ROI is that the network folks have no interest and the Govt has no money.

In Germany post the reversal of the stance on Nuke, the PV program is up and away again full blast, the deal there is the utility buys all the juice, u dont take any so so no worries with batteries etc

thats unbelievable, typical of the crap thats gone on here in ireland the last few years.

were going backwards not forwards:mad:

anybody done any courses with cheveron training, they seem to be the only ones providing the course now since fas stopped doing it.

only thing is the courses cost a fortune

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

, €1200 for a 4 day course . Wonder is fas will part fund it if you enquire about doing it ?

ahhh great spot joe. i see its city and guilds now and not fetac certified.
    i was in touch with dave collins from cheveron training and he told me that fas really should not have been doing the course the way they were as they were only covering one aspect of the course which was only installation. two systems were needed acording to the board of accredation. one on line and one off line which covered installation and then testing/commisioning.

Id say he is only saying that as it would cost you near 2500 to do the two courses with cheveron ,

i had initially sent them an email to see if there were any grants available to try and do the course as id no intention of paying for it as im unemployed. he rang me back and explained the situation. he said the only place you could try is fas themselves or the social but he said there was a minimal chance of me getting it as money is so tight at the minute and it would only be partial grant not a full one.

do you have a job lined up in aus rob?

may be heading there in a few months meself, west coast:cool:

thats why im eager to do the course now

• Advertisement

hitting east cost going to be staying with friends , doing the Domestic solar hot water before i go , might give me a chance of getting more work

Advertisement