Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI - Waterproof gaiters, socks, waterproof spray

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Having gone through several streams with Gaitors on, I can attest that they only repell water well of fitted correctly and secured properly over and already goretex boot. A good helping of Dubbing along the seams/velcrowed/pop button is also a help.

The water proof socks will rot your feet if you are walking long distances, but ideal if you are in very cold conditions as they are super warm and keep damp out, but breath ability is very important

However, if your hunting consists of less than an hours walk any socks will do in good boots

My Tupence Ha'penny

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Having gone through several streams with Gaitors on, I can attest that they only repell water well of fitted correctly and secured properly over and already goretex boot. A good helping of Dubbing along the seams/velcrowed/pop button is also a help.

The water proof socks will rot your feet if you are walking long distances, but ideal if you are in very cold conditions as they are super warm and keep damp out, but breath ability is very important

However, if your hunting consists of less than an hours walk any socks will do in good boots

My Tupence Ha'penny

I'm with you on the socks Tack,waterproof socks are ok if you are lying on a hill for a day in the winter spotting deer but thats about it. If you wear them just for the sake of having dry feet you'll be sorry! They WILL NOT BREATHE inside a heavy pair of leather hunting boots or wellies and your feet will be soaked in sweat. Worse still you stand a good chance of developing trenchfoot which if not looked after quickly and properly can be very debilitating and take from 6 months to a year to heal! :( best bet is a good pair of wool socks inside gore tex lined boots or plain leather boots with a shed load of wax. As for the gaiters,the reason most people have trouble with them is they wear them outside their waterproof trousers to save the trousers from damage. Gaiters are supposed to be worn INSIDE your wet gear to keep your lower legs dry,but when worn outside they do nothing more than help to channel all the lovely cold rain that runs down your legs straight into your boots! I've been an outdoor guy all my life and spent 10 years on a mountain rescue team so one thing I know is gear! And before anyone says I'm bragging,I have found out most things about getting wet and cold the hard way! :)

Advertisement