Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

news stuff

13»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

DK32 wrote: »

Dan is it my screen or is there something funny going on in the blacks in those shots? I'm seeing lots of white "snow" in all the shadow areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Promac wrote: »
    :)

And that's what I was saying earlier! It's all for a commercial product, just like a magazine - what's the real difference between an advertisement in a magazine (which is more the reason the magazine is produced at all - sales are totally secondary) and a news item in a newspaper? The more popular the newspaper the more they can charge for ads (just like the magazine) and the more papers they sell. The better the news, the better the item, the better the paper, etc. It's totally just interpretation, in my opinion anyway.
    A magazine, beinga commercial product commissions stories and photos for the product, i.e. a make up review as seen in most or a fashion shoot.

A paper on the other hand reports (or is meant to) the truth of what is going on in the world. Yes they sell space for advertisements as this is how they mainly fund their work but they do not commission accidents and criminal activity, they just report on them, worlds apart in my opinion.
    I take Smelltheglove's photo, and I think she looks amazing in it

Oh wow KKV can I see it....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

What about when the paper sends a photographer to a location on the assumption that there will be something newsworthy there, like a busy day at the courts? It's not reporting news, it's looking for it. It's tasking the photographer with coming back with a set of images of people going to court, just like tasking him/her with producing a set of images of someone playing tennis or wearing a bikini or whatever.

Oh wow KKV can I see it....?

Not until you buy it! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Promac wrote: »
    What about when the paper sends a photographer to a location on the assumption that there will be something newsworthy there, like a busy day at the courts? It's not reporting news, it's looking for it. It's tasking the photographer with coming back with a set of images of people going to court, just like tasking him/her with producing a set of images of someone playing tennis or wearing a bikini or whatever.

oh no you didnt !!

if a paper sent someone to the courts there is no guarantee that they will find a story and its the reporter who has to find the story the photographer has to see the person involved and get an image, reporters do spend time down at the courts and not get a story (at least in the Four Courts) and recently its been very quiet pictorially.

The problem with court images is that the newspapers have a set of rules which the photographer must adhere to....and failure to do this could result in a liable action taken against the photographer/newspaper. (This has happened in the recent past and has cost hundreds of thousands of euro.... who said there wasn't any pressure involved in court photography)

As regards a newspaper sending a photographer to a location "on the assumption that there will be something newsworthy" .... this happens almost every day, I've been sent to various locations and told just stay there until you get the pic....its usually not the photographers choice...its the picdesk.

there is still no guarantee that they will get a pic or even a story infact its more than likely they will goto an area and a news story will break in a different area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

PCPhoto wrote: »
    oh no you didnt !!

Lol ok :)

I think we've milked this cow now so cheers for the co-derailment lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Dan is it my screen or is there something funny going on in the blacks in those shots? I'm seeing lots of white "snow" in all the shadow areas.

I'm not seeing that myself mate. Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Snapper

Brilliant thread, well done to all. Teamwork is what it's all about and it worked here..

Advertisement