Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH royal wedding mega thread (no flaming queens)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭patmac

I am all for this and I think as the government is allowing RTE to spend our license fee on this they should embrace the whole event by giving us a public holiday as well as or fellow europeans across the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭petroltimer

I was wondering is the Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland going to the wedding, he was probably invited.

He has a wonderful opportunity to wish his future king all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Pauleta wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in Dublin where you can buy commemorative tea towels or plates?

Ooh & I'm also on the look out for some Union Jack bunting if any could possibly help?!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I am amazed that folks are surprised that RTE are showing this. RTE make money. People watching their programmes is what they need and want.

I could easily ask why does RTE show Eastenders, The Premiership, and other British programmes, or programmes about Britain?

There is a an audience for the Royal Wedding, and if they are not showing it then folks will tune in elsewhere, so it makes perfect business sense for them to show it.

Anyway, like it or not, the Brits know how to put on a show, and they do pomp and ceremony better than anyone. I think it's an amazing spectacle; just as I think that The Trooping of the Colour is an amazing spectacle.

We here in Ireland also do some fantastic ceremonies. And I always tune into them. I think it's wonderful viewing. The precision, order and seamless
    flow of it all.

One other thing. I don't know William or Harry, but both lads come across as really genuine and nice lads.
    Lads you would have a pint and a chat with. I could be wrong, but from what I have seen from them, that
    is the impression I get. Likable and down to earth young men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

I've seen worse on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

RTE is the biggest loads of unrelenting bum juice that's ever broadcast. they dont have a single worthwhile program on but I really can't understand why anyone would want to spend a day watching two over priviledged gobdaws get married in absolute opulence while schools and hospitals are getting cut in Britain.

and before anyone asks no i dont watch eastenders of fair city either.

RTE is the biggest loads of unrelenting bum juice that's ever broadcast. they dont have a single worthwhile program on but I really can't understand why anyone would want to spend a day watching two over priviledged gobdaws get married in absolute opulence while schools and hospitals are getting cut in Britain.

and before anyone asks no i dont watch eastenders of fair city either.

So, what do you watch?

That is nonsense to say that RTE show nothing of worth. They do have some wonderful programmes on. I have seen them. Of course you will get some dud pogrammes, but we all have different tastes, you have to remember that too.

And there will always be cuts, poverty and hardship; does that mean WE can never splash out, ever?
    I am including Ireland in that. We have cuts, and hardship all the time, does that mean we can never indulge
    or splash out?

walshb wrote: »
    So, what do you watch?

That is nonsense to say that RTE show nothing of worth. They do have some wonderful programmes on. I have seen them. Of course you wil get some dud pogrammes, but we all have different tastes, you have to remember that too.

a lot of movies. TG4 has some good stuff, BBC 4, dave is good for comedy as is comedy central. I dont think I've watched anything bar the news on RTE in years, i dont know of a single other thing of worth on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I hope Katherine Lynch is doing commentary.

'Would you look at the cut a this oul cünt!'

a lot of movies. TG4 has some good stuff, BBC 4, dave is good for comedy as is comedy central. I dont think I've watched anything bar the news on RTE in years, i dont know of a single other thing of worth on RTE.

That is what I mean, tastes. Some folks are into different things. RTE show very good documentaries, nature programmes and real life programmes. As well as the fashion, home, and wedding programmes. It's a good mix. I watched Don't tell The Bride last night. Real life and very good.

Take Scannail and Nationwide, just two very good and informative and interesting programmes. There's many more.

Fair City? It's a soap. I watch it for comedy, the acting and the skanger Bishops, priceless stuff!

I agree about the news. I rarely watch it now. Non stop bank talk is all you hear
    As for The Fontline, what a load of rubbish. It's the same deal every week, jobs and the economy.
    A joke of a programme. Rehashed every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I hope Katherine Lynch is doing commentary.

'Would you look at the cut a this oul cünt!'

Actually, if they keep her off the tele I'll happily put up with the royal wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

The wedding will be on at about this time. Currently on RTE right now is Shortland Street and an interview with some bloke that run the London Marathon backwards and TV3 are showing that sexist loose women rip off. if its like this next Friday then im gonna be watching the Royal Wedding.

That is what I mean, tastes. Some folks are into different things. RTE show very good documentaries, nature programmes and real life programmes. As well as the fashion, home, and wedding programmes. It's a good mix. I watched Don't tell The Bride last night. Real life and very good.

Take Scannail and Nationwide, just two very good and informative and interesting programmes. There's many more.

nationwide is awful, the epytomy of the uninspiring middle of the road, beige crap that rte can only do. the entire channel seems like its aimed at oulwans who sit knitting in anticipation of the angelus.

nothing thats inspiring, original or daring

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

The news is pretty much it for RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Dionysus wrote: »
    This, once again, is an absolutely stupid fúcking point to make. The stupidity starts by equating "British" with "British royalism". The latter, and specifically RTÉ showing an event from the latter is what people here are objecting to. Can you not even see they are far from synonymous? In your mentality one cannot like aspects of British culture and reject other aspects. Most rational people accept and reject aspects of every culture. Try exploring words like eclectic. But here you are telling everybody who doesn't agree with British royalism that they are being hypocritical because they like other aspects of British culture. Stupid. Stupid, and stupid again.

Firstly please do not insult me again. I made a point, you disagree and thats fine. Please do not call me stupidor question my mentality, it only succeeds in making you look petty and rude.

Secondly I have no issue with people questioning some aspects of other cultures while supporting others, as I think you well know.

What I have an issue with is the fact the only reason I can see why people are objecting to this is because of our history with England/Britain. I just think people need to move into the 21st century a little and accept that the days of the occupation are long since past.

Object to the Wedding if you want but don't cling to the past because, as we see from whats happpened and is happening up north, it's dangerous and solves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I am amazed that folks are surprised that RTE are showing this. RTE make money. People watching their programmes is what they need and want.

I could easily ask why does RTE show Eastenders, The Premiership, and other British programmes, or programmes about Britain?

There is a an audience for the Royal Wedding, and if they are not showing it then folks will tune in elsewhere, so it makes perfect business sense for them to show it.

Anyway, like it or not, the Brits know how to put on a show, and they do pomp and ceremony better than anyone. I think it's an amazing spectacle; just as I think that The Trooping of the Colour is an amazing spectacle.

We here in Ireland also do some fantastic ceremonies. And I always tune into them. I think it's wonderful viewing. The precision, order and seamless
    flow of it all.

One other thing. I don't know William or Harry, but both lads come across as really genuine and nice lads.
    Lads you would have a pint and a chat with. I could be wrong, but from what I have seen from them, that
    is the impression I get. Likable and down to earth young men

And this is one of the contributing factors to why people will watch it, he's a likeable bloke, he's the new generation of the Royal Family, unlikely to stick with the usual traditions, very like his mother, who was also loved not just by the British public, but by many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

What I have an issue with is the fact the only reason I can see why people are objecting to this is because of our history with England/Britain. I just think people need to move into the 21st century a little and accept that the days of the occupation are long since past.

Eh 6 counties are still occupied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

cosanostra wrote: »
    Eh 6 counties are still occupied

Not in the view of a majority of their residents, which I'm sure we all agree is the most important opinion. Not someone living in other parts of the UK or in the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Whats with all the stupid answers?

Not everyone is caught up in the British =/= British Monarchy thought process you seem to have.

In fairness, the poster to whom I responded equated objections to the British monarchy with objections to the British. Please at least try and stay with the evolution of this thread before adding to the stupidity.
    Don't want to watch it? Don't fúcking watch it.

Sweet Jesus. This thread is established to get views on this issue. To demand that people who don't share your views "shut up and not watch it" is plainly silly, at least in a democratic society.

Firstly please do not insult me again. I made a point, you disagree and thats fine. Please do not call me stupidor question my mentality, it only succeeds in making you look petty and rude.

1. You explicitly equated opposition to British royalism with opposition to the British. This was an utterly retarded equation.

2. Calling your post stupid, which it very definitely was for the above reason, is not the same as calling you stupid - cf.ad rem with ad hominem.

3. Whether you like to acknowledge it or not - and clearly you don't - the head of the English monarchy has considerably more historical/political/colonial baggage than anything else in British (i.e. English) culture that you could mention.
    Secondly I have no issue with people questioning some aspects of other cultures while supporting others, as I think you well know.

Clearly, you do. Or else your posts are being articulated in such a clumsy manner as to belie the views which you now claim you have.

This is the sort of nonsense which undermines your posts. In 2011, Britain still claims rule over a part of Ireland. That is a present-day reality. It's not long ago since no fewer than 50,000 armed British personnel were being used in the last remnant of the British state in Ireland against the 700,000 Irish nationalists still living under British rule in Ireland. That's a ratio of 1:14, and a military occupation by any standards. That was the 1970s, which is not - no matter how much you seek to huff and puff and rewrite the past - "long since past".

There are good reasons for the head of the British monarchy to visit Ireland, none of which revolve around the inferiority complex which marks your posts.
    Object to the Wedding if you want but don't cling to the past because, as we see from whats happpened and is happening up north, it's dangerous and solves nothing.

What specious nonsense. Objecting to such archaic, anti-democratic, blood-based cults like British royalism is precisely the sort of injection of rationality and modernity which is needed. Your plea for those of us who reject it to in effect "shut up" is a recipe for tolerating the backward, sectarian and anti-democratic pre-contractarian institution that is the British monarchy. That culture, and those who worship it - "loyalists", mar dhea - are the danger to a modern civilised liberal democratic society.

There are very many progressive voices in Britain which are opposed to the British monarchy. Perhaps you should tell them they are "hypocritical" for presumably liking other aspects of British culture while opposing the British monarchy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Predator_ wrote: »
    By that logic we should show the wedding of the leader of Nigeria because they are getting married. There are Nigerians in this county. Stupid logic. If you want to watch the wedding for foreign leaders then watch it on foreign TV. RTE are a joke.
    Some people might be interested in that. But then again, comparing Nigeria to the United Kingdom which is the closest neighbour to the Irish Republic is beyond stupid and really is stretching it.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Some people might be interested in that. But then again, comparing Nigeria to the United Kingdom which is the closest neighbour to the Irish Republic is beyond stupid and really is stretching it.

Considering the Irish Republic still does not exist, despite being proclaimed in Easter 1916, perhaps you could clarify what precisely you're talking about, Keith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Dionysus wrote: »
    Considering the Irish Republic still does not exist, despite being proclaimed in Easter 1916, perhaps you could clarify what precisely you're talking about, Keith.
    Same thing really. ROI, Irish republic. A different country from N.I.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

Kunle wrote: »
    I was disgusted to read today that RTE ONE Television will have live coverage the royal wedding,
    which royal wedding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

which royal wedding?

How many are there?

Same thing really. ROI, Irish republic. A different country from N.I.

NI is a state, just as the state which is internationally recognised by the name Ireland is a state. Neither were established as "countries". In fact, both were established as not only states but as intentionally temporary states with the Council of Ireland, under the Government of Ireland Act 1920 which partitioned Ireland, designed to facilitate the reunification of an all-Ireland state.

If you demand that people refer to Northern Ireland by its correct name - "Northern Ireland" - why do you not refer to the 26-county state by its equally indisputably correct name- "Ireland"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Yeah I agree, Nigeria never invaded us and committed countless crimes over a period of 800 years.

Yeah I agree, Nigeria never invaded us and committed countless crimes over a period of 800 years.

oh god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I would probably actually watch a Nigerian royal wedding just out of interest. We get so much British trash on Irish television already and I'd bet that the majority of people who are interested in this will already have British tv stations.

Just more trashy noise from our noisy neighbour, I wish there weren't so many in our own country peeping out through the curtains at them. It's embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

I am delighted to hear that RTE will be covering the Royal Wedding. I just love Royal Weddings! Such a sense of occasion with all the pomp and ceremony that the British are so good at. It will be ' a jolly good show'. Just can't wait.

Advertisement