Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH royal wedding mega thread (no flaming queens)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

getz wrote: »
    people on these threads,[always from ireland] keep on saying this,but i have yet to meet a english republican in my 70 years of living here,there must be some living in london,but i believe its mostly irish fantasy.i know a lot of people wont be watching it ,including me,but that does not make me a republican.

John Prescot. A few Labour MP's.

It's not common, but also not unheard of, for political figures in the UK to feel the monarchy is old hat, so i don't think it's a myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

people on these threads,[always from ireland] keep on saying this,but i have yet to meet a english republican in my 70 years of living here,there must be some living in london,but i believe its mostly irish fantasy.i know a lot of people wont be watching it ,including me,but that does not make me a republican.

I was born in England, 100 miles away from London, and have met many English republicans, so you can't say that it's an Irish fantasy, or even that republicans are restricted to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

really? I know loads and I dont even live there. My gf and all her mates bar one say the royal family should be abolished. maybe its because youve lived there for 70 years and the older generation would have more of an affinity for them?
    most of the older generation do,after seeing what happens to countries after going republic,civil wars ,dictatorships,corruption, and military goverments,who would want that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

dont get excited,this is the web site that believes doctor who is real and has a doctor who discussion on its forum

Dr Who isn't discussed here?

most of the older generation do,after seeing what happens to countries after going republic,civil wars ,dictatorships,corruption, and military goverments,who would want that ?

True, better to stick with the Monarchy as at least then you have been the one on the right side of the invasions. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

ah yes, the queen is keeping all of that at bay with her direct line to god yeah? Never was a military dictatorship, corruption, or a civil war under a british monarch no?

Look, whatever you guys want to have as your head of state is your own business, thats fine its none of my business and i will repect her if she visits because shes a representative of our closest neighbour. Id treat her as a friends mother coming over.

But i will still contend that the idea that primogeniture is wrong and the idea that monarchies prevent civil strive and dictatorship as so rediculous it doesnt deserve a rebutal

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Boydsey14

I'd rather watch the Hughes wedding.. :D I DOOOOOOO!!!

ah yes, the queen is keeping all of that at bay with her direct line to god yeah? Never was a military dictatorship, corruption, or a civil war under a british monarch no?

Look, whatever you guys want to have as your head of state is your own business, thats fine its none of my business and i will repect her if she visits because shes a representative of our closest neighbour. Id treat her as a friends mother coming over.

But i will still contend that the idea that primogeniture is wrong and the idea that monarchies prevent civil strive and dictatorship as so rediculous it doesnt deserve a rebutal
    you seem to have a obession with the british royal family,why?

I have no obsession. I dont really care that much. this is a thread about the royal wedding which is why im here expressing my opinion,Im sure you realise the difference. originally i was here to bitch about rte and give out to irish republicans.

i came to speaking to you because you asserted that enlish republicans were an irish fantasy and royalty averts conflict

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

For all the outraged shinners- I have no interest in watching it but my 12 year old daughter is really looking forward to it. For that reason, I'm happy RTE are showing it.

This is what is known as a failure in parenting. Hopefully when she grows up with her own dreams of a big expensive wedding you'll be carrying the can. You'll deserve every bit of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Looks at thread title... how strange that people are talking about the British royal family in a thread about them. :rolleyes:

You seem to have a serious issues with replying to posts based off their content as opposed to some vein attempt to derail the fact that you have made some pretty weird posts that are quite easily dismissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

read the news, but i guess most people celebrating the royal wedding don't

I read the news everyday thanks. I must have missed the bribing and coke and underage hookers bit. Please provide a link. Otherwise we will have to presume you ate talking bollox.

John Prescot. A few Labour MP's.

It's not common, but also not unheard of, for political figures in the UK to feel the monarchy is old hat, so i don't think it's a myth?
    that makes sense lord john prescott a republican,[dont tell the queen]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Limerick city is going to erect a big screen in the city and show the wedding as part of a festival that's on that weekend

ok here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:English_republicans

some there and many many others who arent famous enough to have a wiki page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Limerick city is going to erect a big screen in the city and show the wedding as part of a festival that's on that weekend
    This is absolutely outrageous.

Wow, you are, at this point, painfully missing the point.

Yes "Lord" John Prescott who lampooned in the press for accepting a place in the House of Lords he formerly wanted abolished.

That's the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sonnett

I can't wait to watch it and am thrilled that RTE will be covering it

ok here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:English_republicans

some there and many many others who arent famous enough to have a wiki page.
    you can only find 19 famous people,many of who most of us has never heard of,i know of H G WELLS ,but i believe he is dead

• Advertisement

you can only find 19 famous people,many of who most of us has never heard of,i know of H G WELLS ,but i believe he is dead

You could be one of a handful of non-republicans in England.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I believe it when I see it.:D

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You could be one of a handful of non-republicans in England.:eek:
    do you think i could have a knighthood ? say lord getz of cork

do you need a quota to prove that english, let alone scotish, welsh ect republicans exist. Im not spending all day reading famous people's biographies to point out your quite obvious delusion that british republicans are figments of the irish imagination. they exist, there is no counter arguement to this. i doesnt matter if they are a minority or that you dont like them

the fact that you have never heard of most of the people on that list is either a lie or means you've been in a bubble for 70 years. tony benn, christopher hitchens, michael foot, will self etc, ken loach you do not recognise these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

In fairness, Thomas Paine was, well, one of the most famous republicans of the past 500 years, in particular for his authorship of this which more than any other writing inspired the American Revolution. He also inspired important Irish revolutionaries such as Edward Fitzgerald and Wolfe Tone.

Unfortunately, despite being English he was fundamentally opposed to the British monarchy so he must have been "anti-British" according to its defenders here. You cannot, it seems, be British and against the British monarchy. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

Kunle wrote: »
    I was disgusted to read today that RTE ONE Television will have live coverage the royal wedding, Why are they doing this? Would they cover a royal wedding in Norway? What have those brits who were born with a sliver spoon in their mouth got to do with us? Why would us Irish want to watch that trash?

I for one won't be watching the disgraceful monarchy what a joke: they make me laugh in this day and age everyone is equal why should someone be above anybody else. we all age and grow old and die, I never liked will never like the monarchy. RTE are a joke! I never watch that stupid channel it makes me embarrassed to be Irish

do you think i could have a knighthood ? say lord getz of cork

I wouldn't trust that mad old lady with a sword, ceremonial or otherwise.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I know more people who want to watch it than I do who don't. RTE are smart to put it on because it'll get high ratings. A large number of houses here still only have the bog channels and have been looking forward to it all year.

I'd like to point out that I have no interest in the wedding but can't see why it's so anti-Irish for someone to want to watch it or for an Irish TV network to carry it.

Dionysus wrote: »
    In fairness, Thomas Paine was, well, one of the most famous republicans of the past 500 years, in particular for his authorship of this which more than any other writing inspired the American Revolution. He also inspired important Irish revolutionaries such as Edward Fitzgerald and Wolfe Tone.

Unfortunately, despite being English he was fundamentally opposed to the British monarchy so he must have been "anti-British" according to its defenders here. You cannot, it seems, be British and against the British monarchy. :rolleyes:
    all i have heard here is of dead people,we are talking about english republicans of to-day,unless you wish to start with oliver cromwell,

• Advertisement

all i have heard here is of dead people,we are talking about english republicans of to-day,unless you wish to start with oliver cromwell,

no you havent. the vast majority in the list i gave are alive. your just being dishonest now

Advertisement