Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH royal wedding mega thread (no flaming queens)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paul75

the amount of bile in this thread is amazing.
    People want to watch it and that's it. Like people want to watch eastenders, coronation st, man united, liverpool fc, celtic fc, the x-factor. Just turn over to TG4 and watch ros na run if the above is so offensive to you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Dionysus wrote: »
    You're clearly intent upon discrediting yourself by these cretinous and utterly fúcking retarded equations of "if you don't support the British monarchy like I do, you're anti-British". Goodbye.
    Is that not a complete strawman argument?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

humanji wrote: »

no

Are you really sure? Because she didn't say anything close to what he's claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

No, At least try and stay with the development of this thread before making such comments.

• Advertisement

Are you really sure? Because she didn't say anything close to what he's claiming.

In fact, she did make that equation between opposition to the British monarchy and opposition to the British - and more than once. Please re-read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

You're clearly intent upon discrediting yourself by these cretinous and utterly fúcking retarded equations of "if you don't support the British monarchy like I do, you're anti-British". Goodbye.

Look I never that was always the case. It's just in the context of this thread it seems to be for a lot of posters. A lot of the objections I've seen seem to stem from an inherant anti-Britishness and I personally think that there is no need for that in this day and age.

But you know that really, you are just out for an argument at this point.

Please stop with insults as well, unless you want to be reported.

Thank you.

But honestly I wouldn't waste my breath.

Dionysus clearly has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to the British Royals and as such reacts irrationally to anyone who dares say anything positive about them.

The problem is his, not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

IngazZagni wrote: »
    It's all about ratings. The Royal wedding will most likely do bigger numbers than anything else in that time slot.
    One thing for sure, it will certainly get more viewing numbers than "The Wagons' Den" :p

In fact, she did make that equation between opposition to the British monarchy and opposition to the British - and more than once. Please re-read.
    Please re-read your post as you seem to have forgotten it. You insinuated that she is trying to "discrediting" herself "by these cretinous and utterly fúcking retarded equations" when in fact it was a question aimed at you. You took what she said and without actually answering her question, you changed it's meaning to be an insult to her. It's a tad childish, don't you think?.

I honestly don't understand why people are surprised this will be shown. It's an event of international interest. They're the best known royal family in the world and there's a hell of a lot of interest in celebrity these days. I'd be shocked if RTE didn't show it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

I'm beginning to feel somewhat old. British Royal weddings being shown on RTE are nothing new, it's not a first, there are clearly people on here who are unaware of this, probably because they simply don't remember, hence the 'outrage'.

And we live in a more celeb obsessed world now than we did twenty/thirty years ago, which makes this even less of an issue.

I honestly don't understand why people are surprised this will be shown. It's an event of international interest. They're the best known royal family in the world and there's a hell of a lot of interest in celebrity these days. I'd be shocked if RTE didn't show it.

theres suprise and then theres comtempt. you hit the nail on the head with the 'celebrity' reference although i couldnt see RTE showing katie prices or any other talentless bore's wedding.

Im sure if it was any other useless celebrity's wedding being broadcast the same people would be watching it and the same people would be giving out, i certainly would

You insinuated that she is trying to "discrediting" herself "by these cretinous and utterly fúcking retarded equations" when in fact it was a question aimed at you. You took what she said and without actually answering her question, you changed it's meaning to be an insult to her. It's a tad childish, don't you think?.
    Look I never that was always the case.

I didn't insinuate it: I stated it. In response to people opposing the British monarchy she accused them of being anti-British and, if they liked any other aspect of British culture, of being hypocritical. She made the equation at least twice in this thread. This was her first attack on those of us who oppose the British monarchy in the discussion:

Out of curiosity how many of those objecting the Wedding being broadcast can say honestly they have never done one of the following

a.) watched a premiership match/supported a team

b.) watched a soap, english documentary/sitcom/film

c.) read an english magazine

d.) been friends or known an English person

e.) been to England

In direct response to objections to the British monarchy, she claimed:

do you think that the only true Irish people are those who would despise everything remotely British

Now, if you're still missing her attempts to equate anti-monarchy views with anti-British views, I really don't know what else to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

knird evol wrote: »
    The Premiership isn't an English league. It's a league comprising the best footballers from Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales.
    Do yourself a favor and head back to school, comments like this are plain retarded. The clue is in the name EPL English Premier League.

Just for the record though, I am English and dam proud of it. However i have no time for the Royals and will not be watching the wedding next week, i have a garden that i in need of cutting and trimming....:p

theres suprise and then theres comtempt. you hit the nail on the head with the 'celebrity' reference although i couldnt see RTE showing katie prices or any other talentless bore's wedding

Well that's the thing. If they were filmed, they'd most likely be shown and there'd be a market for them. But it's also the whole "show" of the wedding. Fro example, Katie Price's wedding would be watched with the same expectations as watching that "Gypsy Wedding" show, where as the royal wedding will be a spectacular fairytale wedding that many young girls (and some boys I expect) dream of. It's rare that you get to see it anywhere but in a movie or a book.

So in that regard, I can kind of see the interest. And to be honest, I always love seeing the lines of little old women waving their miniature union flags. They're hilarious. :D

In direct response to objections to the British monarchy, she claimed:

Now, if you're still missing her attempts to equate anti-monarchy views with anti-British views, I really don't know what else to say.
    Look at the first post you quoted there. The words "objecting the Wedding being broadcast" is a bit of a give away that it's not in response to the objections to the British monarchy

The second quote was directed at you and nobody else, and was in response to your use of the phrase "native Irish".

So basically, you're claiming she meant something she obviously didn't. Hence why it seemed like a strawman argument. If it was accidental then you're just getting worked up over nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

BrookieD wrote: »
    Do yourself a favor and head back to school, comments like this are plain retarded. The clue is in the name EPL English Premier League.

The point is that if you're a football fan in Ireland you will naturally have an interest in the Premiership because the best Irish footballers play there.

That's not to say you should be more interested in it than the League of Ireland or your local football side but it is not the national treachery that some people like to make it out to be to watch Premiership football matches.

Look at the first post you quoted there. The words "objecting the Wedding being broadcast" is a bit of a give away that it's not in response to the objections to the British monarchy

The second quote was directed at you and nobody else, and was in response to your use of the phrase "native Irish".

So basically, you're claiming she meant something she obviously didn't. Hence why it seemed like a strawman argument. If it was accidental then you're just getting worked up over nothing.

You're clearly misreading her posts if you can't see her equating both. I'm at a loss to understand how her claiming that people who object to the British royal wedding on RTÉ are anti-British (and/or hypocritical if they like other aspects of British culture) makes her equation any less retarded in your above argument. Care to explain?

On the second point, how referring to the "native Irish" transforms a poster from being anti-British monarchy to being anti-British has yet to be explained by you or her. Care to explain this false equation?

Well that's the thing. If they were filmed, they'd most likely be shown and there'd be a market for them. But it's also the whole "show" of the wedding. Fro example, Katie Price's wedding would be watched with the same expectations as watching that "Gypsy Wedding" show, where as the royal wedding will be a spectacular fairytale wedding that many young girls (and some boys I expect) dream of. It's rare that you get to see it anywhere but in a movie or a book.

So in that regard, I can kind of see the interest. And to be honest, I always love seeing the lines of little old women waving their miniature union flags. They're hilarious. :D

and this is the classist snobbery which is most annoying about it. its the same but royals are different because royalty are special

and this is the classist snobbery which is most annoying about it. its the same but royals are different because royalty are special

+ 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

That you Joe?

• Advertisement

Sigh....lets try this again;
    You're clearly misreading her posts if you can't see her equating both. I'm at a loss to understand how her claiming that people who object to the British royal wedding on RTÉ are anti-British (and/or hypocritical if they like other aspects of British culture) makes her equation any less retarded in your above argument. Care to explain?

I did not say objecting to the Wedding being broadcast makes you anti-British. What I was saying was that I feel from what I've read here that the reason people are objecting is because they are already anti-British. Inotherwords the Wedding is just another excuse for them to bash Britain.

Clear enough?

Ok now to your second point;
    On the second point, how referring to the "native Irish" transforms a poster from being anti-British monarchy to being anti-British has yet to be explained by you or her. Care to explain this false equation?

You mentioned in a previous post something about me objecting to the 'Native Irish' objecting to the wedding. I asked if you realised that I too am Irish.

Still with me? Ok.

Then, based on what I've read from your other posts, I asked if you thought a person could only be considered Native Irish if they object to anything remotely British? I got the impression you assumed I was not Irish because I did not immediatly begin slagging the Wedding or the Royals.

I never said anything close to what you are suggesting and you know it.

Stop making things up and twisting what is being said, it makes you look a fool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Why can we not just enjoy and celebrate the forthcoming Royal Wedding of HRH Prince William and Miss Catherine Middleton? We should rejoice with our British neighbours and enjoy the pomp and ceremony of this great event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

knird evol wrote: »
    The point is that if you're a football fan in Ireland you will naturally have an interest in the Premiership because the best Irish footballers play there.

That's not to say you should be more interested in it than the League of Ireland or your local football side but it is not the national treachery that some people like to make it out to be to watch Premiership football matches.

Many British people watch a hell of a lot of Spanish football nowadays, doesn't make their league ours because of that fact though.

I've absolutely no objection to foreign people enjoying and getting involved in English football, but suddenly trying to claim it as partly theirs isn't on!

Clareboy wrote: »
    Why can we not just enjoy and celebrate the forthcoming Royal Wedding of HRH Prince William and Miss Catherine Middleton? We should rejoice with our British neighbours and enjoy the pomp and ceremony of this great event.

because in the words of my english girlfriend 'im fúcked if im watching a display of pomp, priviedge and snobbery riding around in golden carriages when the country is being torn apart by cuts impossed by a bunch of public school boys'

Why not turn off the TV, put down heat magazine and go outside and enjoy the air instaed

because in the words of my english girlfriend 'im fúcked if im watching a display of pomp, priviedge and snobbery riding around in golden carriages when the country is being torn apart by cuts impossed by a bunch of public school boys'

Why not turn off the TV, put down heat magazine and go outside and enjoy the air instaed

Our recession has nothing to do with the Royal Family.

Why does it bother you so much if people choose to enjoy this event?

Clareboy wrote: »

I certainly intend to watch and enjoy it!

Our recession has nothing to do with the Royal Family.

Why does it bother you so much if people choose to enjoy this event?

she was talking about the cuts in england obviously. if you want to enjoy it thats fine, it doesnt stop me expressing the opinion that i think its moronic. im sure theres a lot of things I enjoy that you think moronic and we'll have a chance to discuss them if a thread ever pops up about them

she was talking about the cuts in england obviously. if you want to enjoy it thats fine, it doesnt stop me expressing the opinion that i think itsmoronic. im sure theres a lot of things I enjoy that you think moronic and we'll have a chance to discuss them if a thread ever pops up about them

It wasn't that obvious but thanks for clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

To sum up this thread:

Put your west Brit in put your full Brit out. Brits in Brits out, shake it all about.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

You are wasting your time. Ignorance is bliss.

Advertisement