Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH royal wedding mega thread (no flaming queens)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Biggins wrote: »
    When it come to this wedding - no disrespect to those getting married - but between schite in the papers, the TV, the Internet, forums, radio, magazine and every other god-damn motherfcuker ability to shove it in our faces, I'll be glad to see the ruddy back of this wedding so the world can get back to playing nookie!

I just switch channel, don't read the article and fecking 10 page pull out spread, don't read the thread (yep, I opened this one) or switch the radio station.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

K-9 wrote: »
    I just switch channel, don't read the article and fecking 10 page pull out spread, don't read the thread (yep, I opened this one) or switch the radio station.

so basically lock yourself in a wardrobe or something. its a sad state of affairs that people are mad about a wedding between two strangers in a different country. one plus point is at least that knob franc isnt involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

And if you are someone who gets so worked up over what is esentially a television programme that others want to watch, simply because you don't, you are a truly (not truely) unhinged and somewhat insecure individual.

unhinged aye? nope just dispair at the state of humanity that will watch a wedding of someone theyve never met because theyve seen them in a magazine for achieving precisely f*ck all.

36 pages? nice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

unhinged aye? nope just dispair at the state of humanity that will watch a wedding of someone theyve never met because theyve seen them in a magazine for achieving precisely f*ck all.

I assume that you are equally despairing over the state of humanity that will watch a wedding of people that don't exist on FairCorinationEndersDale? There has to be slightly more logic in watching this Fridays wedding as at least the people involved actually exist, but I don't recall seeing much outrage and dispair over whatever the last soap wedding was when it undoubtable got X million viewers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

You reckon he will, willy?

He willy

robinph wrote: »
    I assume that you are equally despairing over the state of humanity that will watch a wedding of people that don't exist on FairCorinationEndersDale? There has to be slightly more logic in watching this Fridays wedding as at least the people involved actually exist, but I don't recall seeing much outrage and dispair over whatever the last soap wedding was when it undoubtable got X million viewers?

and you'd be absolutely right.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Threads merged.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

and you'd be absolutely right.

Good. :D

robinph wrote: »

at least with soaps its on for an hour at most compared to the royal wedding which is on for 3 hours on RTE and a whopping 8 on TV3. plus a soap wedding wont be plastered over every media outlet known to modern man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Threads merged.

what was the other thread? .....just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

kfallon wrote: »
    They are made/shown specifically for entertainment, if Mary from Clondalkin was marrying Peter from Inchicore would you expect it to be on TV?

Weddings are entertainment for a certain sector of the population too, whether you like it or not. In fact, I think there is a whole channel dedicated to weddings on one of the satelite channels...

RTE also have a programme showing at the moment called 'Don't Tell the Bride', which is all about yer Mary's and Peter's from Clondalkin getting married. So, yeah, it is on TV.

I take it you're into horse racing? Well RTE show a fair bit of that at weekends and during the big festivals. I can't stand racing, but I wouldn't moan about others getting to watch it if they wish to do so.

Different horses for different courses and all that....(pun intended :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

sonic85 wrote: »
    at least with soaps its on for an hour at most compared to the royal wedding which is on for 3 hours on RTE and a whopping 8 on TV3. plus a soap wedding wont be plastered over every media outlet known to modern man.

Eh? Redundant point really. Yes, a soap may be on for an hour at most, but between them they're on all evening, every single bloody day of the year.....

Will & Kate get 3 hours on RTE, oh no :rolleyes:

Eh? Redundant point really. Yes, a soap may be on for an hour at most, but between them they're on all evening, every single bloody day of the year.....

if it was only 3 hours that would be grand but every feckin 10 minutes on a news channel

'...thousands killed and many missing. But before that Kate middleton spotted with uneven hem in run up to wedding, who should we kill?'

redundant how? people should stop comparing soaps to the royal wedding in that case. i dislike soaps aswell by the way but at least im not getting bombarded by them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

if it was only 3 hours that would be grand but every feckin 10 minutes on a news channel

'...thousands killed and many missing. But before that Kate middleton spotted with uneven hem in run up to wedding, who should we kill?'
    I agree, it is, but it's the same with soaps, if not more pronounced. If they're not being advertised in between more back-to-back soaps, they're splashed all over the front of every trashy magazine, in addition to soap 'star' after soap star popping up on every reality show in existence. The Royal Wedding is a one-off (well, a once every few decades type one-off), whereas the ubiquity of soaps is an irritatingly unavoidable year-round constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I agree, it is, but it's the same with soaps, if not more pronounced. If they're not being advertised in between more back-to-back soaps, they're splashed all over the front of every trashy magazine, in addition to soap 'star' after soap star popping up on every reality show in existence. The Royal Wedding is a one-off (well, a once every few decades type one-off), whereas the ubiquity of soaps is an irritatingly unavoidable year-round constant.

Exactly!

I can't abide watching sport, but it's everywhere on tv! They have a sports section in every newspaper and tv news bulletin and dedicate a huge amount of airtime to The Olympics and The World Cup.
    I could complain that my tv licence money is wasted on that sh!te, but I accept that others enjoy watching and following it.

This is one occasion and one occasion only. If people don't wish to watch, they can choose not to, just like I do when anything sports related comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I suppose you would support them getting rid of the Premiership then? Or the soaps. Or any news story that isn't set in Ireland? Or the majority of films they show? Or any non-Irish documentries?

Ah but that's all different isn't it :rolleyes:

No I'm not saying that at all. As neighbours, who share a lot of history, of course there is some cultural over-lapping, especially as we share a language. However, we don't share a monarchy, and therefore I feel what is basically a glorified 'Hello' Magazine Celeb wedding with Tiara's and soldiers, it should not be shown on National TV here. For me it represents a real dumbing down of TV here.

It is the height of arrogance to assume you know what some-one is thinking better than they know themselves. It also arrogant to suggest a person's viewing preferences say something about their itelligence, or lack of it.

I hold a Masters Degree yet I will be tuning in Friday because enjoy the pomp and ceremony and would like to be able to look back in years to come and say I saw them get married, in the same way my parents generation can say the witness Charles and Diana wed.

Sorry, your degree, merited as I'm sure it is, merely proves your ability to learn. However, I would doubt the intellect of someone who regards Royal weddings as important historical occasions that should be be witnessed by generations and reflected upon in years to come. Is the wedding of Di & Charlie up there with 9/11, fall of Berlin Wall & Communism, Obama's election etc as important things to be witnessed in recent history?

Maybe so in British culture but not for the vast majority of Irish people and that's why I don't think it should be covered live here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TentCrasher

Shocking stuff having a Mega thread for it...
    Why would we have any interest in the British?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Trust yahoo.ie news to overdramatise things.

"Brian O' Driscoll snubs royal wedding"

"The couple originally accepted the invitation, saying both could attend Prince William and Kate Middleton's nuptials.But O'Driscoll then said his presence at the wedding depended on his team's progress in the Heineken Cup. Leinster play French giants Toulouse in Dublin on Saturday."

Hardly snubbing at all then, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Crazy American Republican take:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Alex Jones is a ****ing nut, just so you know. He scares me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

My mother is going to a houseparty on Friday afternoon for the royal wedding. Loads of middle aged ladies going to this party, having champagne and scones watching it and having lunch afterwards! Bizarre stuff but such is the way in South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

murpho999 wrote: »
    No I'm not saying that at all. As neighbours, who share a lot of history, of course there is some cultural over-lapping, especially as we share a language. However, we don't share a monarchy, and therefore I feel what is basically a glorified 'Hello' Magazine Celeb wedding with Tiara's and soldiers, it should not be shown on National TV here. For me it represents a real dumbing down of TV here.

What's wrong with a bit of dumbing down every now and then? I'm sure you only ever watch documentaries and intellectually stimulating programmes, but there are some people who'll enjoy watching the royal wedding. Actually, there'll likely be an awful lot of people. And they're as entitled to watch it on RTE as you are to watch a history programme, or someone else to watch the Premiership. To state what people should and should not watch in their leisure time, is pretty arrogant IMO.

Sorry, your degree, merited as I'm sure it is, merely proves your ability to learn.

:confused: First off, no it doesn't. Secondly, even if it did, surely an "ability to learn" is an important faculty?
    However, I would doubt the intellect of someone who regards Royal weddings as important historical occasions that should be be witnessed by generations and reflected upon in years to come. Is the wedding of Di & Charlie up there with 9/11, fall of Berlin Wall & Communism, Obama's election etc as important things to be witnessed in recent history?

Fair enough. I wouldn't class it as an important historical event, or even an important event in the grand scheme of things, but it will provide a bit of entertainment for people who like that kind of thing. And there is no shame in liking that kind of thing. I couldn't give a tinker's fart for the royal family, but I am a nosy baxtard, and will probably watch the proceedings on and off for a bit on Friday. Will it be edifying? Not at all. Will I be the better for it? Not a chance. Will I enjoy watching the little I do, in my leisure time, and on a stattion that I pay for? Damn sure I will. And that's my prerogative. As it is yours to switch to something else, or nothing at all.
    Maybe so in British culture but not for the vast majority of Irish people and that's why I don't think it should be covered live here.

How about we let the "vast majority" of Irish people decide for themselves eh? You know, as RTE are doing. If you don't want to watch it, don't- nobody's forcing you. Why though, are you so hellbent on seeking to deny others the right to have a gander if they so wish?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Cannot wait till Friday. No work will be sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sorry, your degree, merited as I'm sure it is, merely proves your ability to learn. However, I would doubt the intellect of someone who regards Royal weddings as important historical occasions that should be be witnessed by generations and reflected upon in years to come. .

Wow - venomously patronize much?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

For me it represents a real dumbing down of TV here..

Yes, we should stick to the high-brow world of Mrs Browns Boys and Wagon's Den.
    Is the wedding of Di & Charlie up there with 9/11, fall of Berlin Wall & Communism, Obama's election etc as important things to be witnessed in recent history?

You may have had a point there until you mentioned Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i hear they're going on honeymoon to south armagh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Trust yahoo.ie news to overdramatise things.

"Brian O' Driscoll snubs royal wedding"

"The couple originally accepted the invitation, saying both could attend Prince William and Kate Middleton's nuptials.But O'Driscoll then said his presence at the wedding depended on his team's progress in the Heineken Cup. Leinster play French giants Toulouse in Dublin on Saturday."

Hardly snubbing at all then, is it?

Seemingly his missus is going, even though she's never met the bride and groom, or indeed any of the guests for that matter.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/aisle-be-there-amy-going-it-alone-2630185.html

Advertisement