Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH royal wedding mega thread (no flaming queens)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭petroltimer

murpho999 wrote: »
    Is the wedding of Di & Charlie up there with 9/11, fall of Berlin Wall & Communism, Obama's election etc as important things to be witnessed in recent history?

I think others already said this but Obama's election really? or maybe, since he will be remembered that a bankrupt america will be his legacy.

As for the royal wedding the viewing figures will decide if RTE made the right decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

As for the royal wedding the viewing figures will decide if RTE made the right decision.

But if the viewing figures are very high (which I suspect they will be), all the angry people on this thread will just say that rte have lied about the viewing numbers, what with them being west Brits and royalists and all!! And that no-one really watched it, and that anyone who did is intellectually inferior etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

steve9859 wrote: »
      But if the viewing figures are very high (which I suspect they will be), all the angry people on this thread will just say that rte have lied about the viewing numbers, what with them being west Brits and royalists and all!! And that no-one really watched it, and that anyone who did is intellectually inferior etc etc.

really? tell me the lotto numbers too. popular doesnt equal good. otherwise independance day would be the greatest movie of all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

really? tell me the lotto numbers too. popular doesnt equal good. otherwise independance day would be the greatest movie of all time

That may be so, but being popular means being entertaining for the majority of people. At least for all those who aren't overly uptight!!

Personally, I believe that if the royal wedding and the Easter rising commemoration happened to be shown live at the same time on rte 1 and 2, the royal wedding would get higher viewing figures. You might not like it and probably disagree, but i think that is a reflection of the Ireland of the 21st century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭petroltimer

That may be so, but being popular means being entertaining for the majority of people. At least for all those who aren't overly uptight!!

Personally, I believe that if the royal wedding and the Easter rising commemoration happened to be shown live at the same time on rte 1 and 2, the royal wedding would get higher viewing figures. You might not like it and probably disagree, but i think that is a reflection of the Ireland of the 21st century.

I'd agree with that, but so the royal wedding may not be for intellectual heavyweights but do people really think that rte are dumbing down their Friday afternoon schedule?
      Whats it replacing the afternoon show if thats still on i'm not sure, i don't think derek davis is on the afternoons anymore.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

I'd agree with that, but so the royal wedding may not be for intellectual heavyweights but do people really think that rte are dumbing down their Friday afternoon schedule?
      Whats it replacing the afternoon show if thats still on i'm not sure, i don't think derek davis is on the afternoons anymore.

Without having checked RTE's coverage plans, the wedding is on at 11.am which means the coverage should be over by 2pm latest.

My mother will no doubt bemoan that Shortland Street is not on. Other than that, I think some Aussie soaps will not be shown. And repeats of the UK soaps (oh the irony) from the night before.

not watching 3 hours of someone you dont know get married is uptight now? jesus!

its not like royal wedding or 1916 commemoration are remotely analogous unless your trying to tie the wedding into some weird version of nationalism

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

not watching 3 hours of someone you dont know get married is uptight now? jesus!

its not like royal wedding or 1916 commemoration are remotely analogous unless your trying to tie the wedding into some weird version of nationalism

Nobodies saying you have to watch it, just that some people could maybe do with calming down a bit of the outrage over something being on telly that they are not going to watch anyway.

There is obviously a market for RTE to be showing it, otherwise they wouldn't be showing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Everyone will be showing it. What is the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Luxie wrote: »
      Seemingly his missus is going, even though she's never met the bride and groom, or indeed any of the guests for that matter.

So?

If they were invited to the wedding of a British pop-star they'd never met, everybody would be high-fiving them. She probably doesn't give a **** but thinks it might be good publicity/networking for her career. More power to her.

Plus, I'd ride her.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

stovelid wrote: »
      So?

If they were invited to the wedding of a British pop-star they'd never met, everybody would be high-fiving them. She probably doesn't give a **** but thinks it might be good publicity/networking for her career. More power to her.

Plus, I'd ride her.

I never said I had an issue with it. I was simply repeating what was in the article I quoted.

In response to whichever poster it was who posted that they both weren't going.

Jebus, the sooner this thing is over the better, people are getting terrible tetchy about it. :D

robinph wrote: »
      Nobodies saying you have to watch it, just that some people could maybe do with calming down a bit of the outrage over something being on telly that they are not going to watch anyway.

There is obviously a market for RTE to be showing it, otherwise they wouldn't be showing it.

because rte is a publicly funded station then even if we aren't watching it we can still express an opinion on it.

Luxie wrote: »
      I never said I had an issue with it. I was simply repeating what was in the article I quoted.

In response to whichever poster it was who posted that they both weren't going.

Jebus, the sooner this thing is over the better, people are getting terrible tetchy about it. :D

Sorry. My bad. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

because rte is a publicly funded station then even if we aren't watching it we can still express an opinion on it.

The problem though, is that some people are not just expressing an opinion on the coverage of the wedding, but on those who might watch it, eg West Brits, intellectually inferior etc...

Einhard wrote: »
      The problem though, is that some people are not just expressing an opinion on the coverage of the wedding, but on those who might watch it, eg West Brits, intellectually inferior etc...

theyre allowed to have that opinion and debate it too. I wouldnt take the west brit angle myself as it a stupid term

theyre allowed to have that opinion and debate it too. I wouldnt take the west brit angle myself as it a stupid term

And I'm entitled to think that anyone who deems another person an intellectual inferior solely because they watch a few minutes, or even the whole programme, of the royal wedding, is a sanctimonious, pretentious fool. :D

And I'm entitled to think that anyone who deems another person an intellectual inferior solely because they watch a few minutes, or even the whole programme, of the royal wedding, is a sanctimonious, pretensious fool. :D

go right ahead, nobody said otherwise, im just not sure who youre talking to

go right ahead, nobody said otherwise, im just not sure who youre talking to

Not to you. There are some people who oppose the showing of the wedding, because it's too "low brow".

Actually, to tell the truth, I think most opposition to it is based on the old historical thing etc, and some are just dressing up their opposition in more pseudi-intellectual garb. I mean, who gives a sh!t what others watch in their spare time? And yet, some people seem to be having hernias over the whole thing!

Not to you. There are some people who oppose the showing of the wedding, because it's too "low brow".

Actually, to tell the truth, I think most opposition to it is based on the old historical thing etc, and some are just dressing up their opposition in more pseudi-intellectual garb. I mean, who gives a sh!t what others watch in their spare time? And yet, some people seem to be having hernias over the whole thing!

well of course its low brow. I dont see any difference between this and any other 'celebrity' wedding. people would be equally as fed up if it was jordan getting married, its being televised and everytime you open a paper or turn on the news their talking about it.

some may have a historical antipathy, i dont, the monarchy itself is none of my business and im looking forward to the queens visit as long as everyone behaves themselves.

I'm suprised people haven't identified the single most pressing danger about the forthcoming Royal nupitals: namely the horrifying possibility that they may inspire a Britpop revival.

Can the remaining members of Menswear and Supergrass be placed under house arrest (or at the very least a secure cordon placed around Camden Town) for the duration of the festivities just in case?

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
      I'm suprised people haven't identified the single most pressing danger about the forthcoming Royal nupitals: namely the horrifying possibility that they may inspire a Britpop revival.

Can the remaining members of Menswear and Supergrass be placed under house arrest (or at the very least a secure cordon placed around Camden Town) for the duration of the festivities just in case?

jesus christ! the horror!

wait though, wasnt the last one in 1981? lets see..

steven tyler injured in an accident,
      Yes and wings break up
      butthole surfers, cro mags, sonic youth and oi polloi all form!

epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hootanany wrote: »

Bump see it before its taken down

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

I can't wait for it. Have the day off work & heading up to a friends house for lunch to enjoy it. Can't wait to see all the style & nobs.

The people who rant about it do amuse me I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

temply wrote: »
      I can't wait for it. Have the day off work & heading up to a friends house for lunch to enjoy it. Can't wait to see all the style & nobs.

The people who rant about it do amuse me I have to say.

I find the thoughts of people taking a day off work to watch a celebrity wedding on tv amusing.

I think the common theme throughout this thread is that the people who are going to watch it are a very defensive and touchy bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

each to their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not sure was it posted already, it's a large thread

Spoof ad for T-Mobile
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnJ3dMAZDuU&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

It's well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Noone is forcing the Royal Wedding on anyone. If people are so frustrated by it, maybe they should stop watching British Television channels. Is this not the obvious thing to do?

I don't like horse racing - I don't watch attheraces.

You don't like Royal Weddings - Don't watch BBC.

Gobshites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

:confused:

misleading title misleads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

That it does. I do apologise - It was meant to be an example of the kind of phrases these people use.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Gobshites.

What, all of us?:confused:

Advertisement