Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH royal wedding mega thread (no flaming queens)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Dilynnio wrote: »
    I cant fupping wait for the BIG day!

Sky news is broadcasting on it from 6:00 a.m.

It will be a howl..............Sky News interviewing everything from a dog walking down the street to a pigeon that poops on the wedding carriage!

All of Laaanndaan will be out for it!

My Check List:

1. Kate and Wills mug for mae tae

2. Laptop fully charged and logged in here

3. Doctors note written for work on Monday

Bring on the skit......................

..it will be like the FA Cup days of old....

TV Coverage starting first thing...

...the tension of the build up.....

....helicopter coverage of the people arriving....

..the nervousness of the participators...

...happy men drinking from the cup...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I think many people do actually admire the Queen and the great things she has done in her life. I see many Irish people are praising her. Probably why RTE is showing it as it will get a big audience by royalists in the republic.

I think its nice to see how everyone is moving forward in that regard. Bar a few people against it, the majority seem to have a passion for this wedding and the royal family.

You should do the RTE commentary Keith! You'd have the country in stitches!!

I just heard that there are condoms created for the event with William and Kate's faces on them!! Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

well it will be something to watch, Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Dilynnio wrote: »
    Sky News interviewing everything from a dog walking down the street to a pigeon that poops on the wedding carriage!

That would be one stupid pigeon-I mean, how many of her majesty's finest will be following the carriage with loaded guns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Amy Huberman to attend without her hubby as he will be playing for Leinster...

I'd say Glenda Gilson is having a f*ckin' CANARY!!!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/entertainment/huberman-to-attend-royal-wedding-without-hubby-brian-502729.html

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So basically the soaps. premiership etc are in fact different, as I said?

And since when did it become a crime to be interested in British events if you're Irish?

Of course it's not a crime, I watch UK news alot, but a Royal Wedding is nothing and I do not understand why people feel the need to watch it. You are trying to say that people who don't want wedding on RTE are anti-British, which is not the case. I just don't think that weddings of foreign monarchies should be on national TV,also why hasn't RTE shown Royal Weddings from Holland, Spain, Belguim etc in the past?

Don't also like all the flag waving it brings about (Did anyone see RTE news report on Six:One tonight?) As I said before I don't like monarchies and the subservience it demands and I really doubt the intellect of people who support that system.
    Less of the patronizing crap please. I studied long and hard since I was a child to get to where I am and I won't accept anyone telling me anything less.

Well then it's lucky there such enlightened and intelligent indviduals such as yourself there to tell them how thick they are :rolleyes:

The prenteniousness and patronizing you display is staggering.

I didn't ask about your social status, call me patronising if you like but I seriously doubt the intellect of people who buy Hello magazine and feel the need to support and watch Royal weddings.

I believe so yes. Diana was an icon for so many people and Charles is the future King of England so yes it was an important moment.

How do you know? Have you conducted a survey?

Have not conducted a survey but anybody that I know is not talking about it or making plans to watch it: no doubt some will as it's hard to avoid but they won't be going out of their way.

Also: to other people on other posts referring to my point about Obama's election. I was referring to the election of an African-American being historic not his policies after election.

murpho999 wrote: »
    As I said before I don't like monarchies and the subservience it demands and I really doubt the intellect of people who support that system.

Murpho999: Can I ask you a question for my clarification: are you suggesting the 75% of the UK population who support the monarchy and think the country would be worse off without it are your intellectual inferiors??? I'm sure they all would be devastated at that realisation!

Or are you just talking about the Irish people who are going to watch the wedding on Friday?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I just don't think that weddings of foreign monarchies should be on national TV,also why hasn't RTE shown Royal Weddings from Holland, Spain, Belguim etc in the past?

Do you have much knowledge of the day to day goings on in Holland, Spain, Belgium? Do the Irish watch much their TV? Do the Irish have many historical links with those countries? Do they even speak the same language?

Thought not.

steve9859 wrote: »
    Murpho999: Can I ask you a question for my clarification: are you suggesting the 75% of the UK population who support the monarchy and think the country would be worse off without it are your intellectual inferiors??? I'm sure they all would be devastated at that realisation!

Or are you just talking about the Irish people who are going to watch the wedding on Friday?

I'm not saying anyone is my intellectual inferior, nor am I saying that the 75% of people who support it are inferior either. Truth is though that they have had that system all their life, have a media dominated by monarchy news and just follow it without really giving it a questionable thought.

As for Irish people, if they were to support a monarchy for this country I would regard them as intellectualy deficient. Simple as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I agree. We do not want any flamming queens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

steve9859 wrote: »
    75% of the Uk population support the monarchy. Hardly a minority! Stable support for the last 20 years or more. Many Irish have a philosophical objection to monarchies, but it isn't up to them!! At the same time many Irish have a genuine interest in the goings on of Ireland's nearest and most inportant neighbour!

I'm pretty sure Keith was talking about Irish people in the post I replied to.

Where did you get the 75% figure from? I'm not doubting it.. just curious.

There's a growing Republican movement in the UK, and it's not just supported by some fringe group of loonies! :) It isn't just Irish people that have a philosophical objection to monarchies.

robinph wrote: »
    Do you have much knowledge of the day to day goings on in Holland, Spain, Belgium? Do the Irish watch much their TV? Do the Irish have many historical links with those countries? Do they even speak the same language?

Thought not.

So if we have these ties with the UK and historical links how come RTE don't show the Queen's Christmas speech live every year? What about Prime-ministers questions time? New Year's Eve from Big Ben? Trooping the Colour?

Why doesn't BBC show GAA Finals, Rose Of Tralee or The Late Late Show?

Why not: Because we are seperate countries with seperate cultural identities, and the Royal Wedding has no bearing on Irish culture and should not be covered live on RTE/TV3.

I'm pretty sure Keith was talking about Irish people in the post I replied to.

Where did you get the 75% figure from? I'm not doubting it.. just curious.

There's a growing Republican movement in the UK, and it's not just supported by some fringe group of loonies! :) It isn't just Irish people that have a philosophical objection to monarchies.

Latest one this week was an ICM poll done for the guardian I think. There are loads of polls on google though There were loads of different questions - he 70% number was if the country would be worse off without them. Support has been betweem 70 and 75% for the last 20 years or more. Only 20% of people have an interest in the royal family, but 75% of people think "the country would be worse off without them" That number hasnt really changed in recent decades other than a couple of dips below 70% around the Diana times

The UK is a big country. Even just 20% of outspoken republicans is a very large number of people. But put that in the context of a political election - 70% of the vote, even 60% would be an overwhelming victory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It's looking increasingly unlikely that I'll become Queen of England one day. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life! The wedding of two nobodies will be shown on live television in a country to which neither has any connection whatsoever. Who wants to watch this drivel? I could hardly sit through the dullness of my best friend's wedding, never mind the nuptials of a girl I've never heard of and a man who has achieved absolutely nothing in his entire life. I'm sure the Prince is a nice chap, but God help us he comes across as being intellectually challenged.

The British can do whatever they like but for God's sake Ireland have some self respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When Grace Kelly got married there was huge interest in Ireland. Or so the parents tell me, I'm only a young 'un
    Wasn't televised live but it was covered by radio and later shown on TV

But Grace Kelly did have an Irish connection I suppose and herself and Prince Rainier had holidays in Ireland
    Edit, sure Prince Albert was here last month, there seems to be a lot of goodwill between Ireland and Monaco

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Can't wait to see who made Kate's dress xxxx <3

When Grace Kelly got married there was huge interest in Ireland. Or so the parents tell me, I'm only a young 'un
    Wasn't televised live but it was covered by radio and later shown on TV

But Grace Kelly did have an Irish connection I suppose and herself and Prince Rainier had holidays in Ireland

Grace Kelly was a movie star in an era when movie actors really were stars. She was the celebrity in that relationship, Prince Rainier was the nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

So if we have these ties with the UK and historical links how come RTE don't show the Queen's Christmas speech live every year? What about Prime-ministers questions time? New Year's Eve from Big Ben? Trooping the Colour?

Why not: Because we are seperate countries with seperate cultural identities, and the Royal Wedding has no bearing on Irish culture and should not be covered live on RTE/TV3.
    Oh please. Separate cultural identities? There are differences, but I think you would struggle to find two countries whose cultures overlap to a greater extent than ours does with GB.

The Royals are essentially celebrities but uniquely appeal to all age groups. Hence there are many Irish (most womenfolk from what I can see) who are interested in this, purely from an entertainment point of view. If you want to have a cut at RTE for responding to peoples desire to be entertained then there is a whole lot of cutting to be done (pretty much all of RTE 2 for a start)

And there is even auxiliary entertainment for some of us not so interested in the main event. One is most amused at all the rather insecure Irish patriots getting their knickers in a twist and offering all sorts of convoluted, principled (but utterly unconvincing) reasons why RTE should not broadcast something that there is clearly some demand for. Y'all just need a big hug. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Since the UK is bailing us out the least we could do in return is show the wedding. Plus it is probably the best thing to be shown on RTE all year bar the All Ireland.

• Advertisement

lugha wrote: »
    Oh please. Separate cultural identities? There are differences, but I think you would struggle to find two countries whose cultures overlap to a greater extent than ours does with GB.

USA/Canada? Austria/Germany?
    Central & South American countries

All overlap but are still different. All depends on your definition of culture. I think you're basing it by whats on the TV.
    The Royals are essentially celebrities but uniquely appeal to all age groups. Hence there are many Irish (most womenfolk from what I can see) who are interested in this, purely from an entertainment point of view. If you want to have a cut at RTE for responding to peoples desire to be entertained then there is a whole lot of cutting to be done (pretty much all of RTE 2 for a start)

And there is even auxiliary entertainment for some of us not so interested in the main event. One is most amused at all the rather insecure Irish patriots getting their knickers in a twist and offering all sorts of convoluted, principled (but utterly unconvincing) reasons why RTE should not broadcast something that there is clearly some demand for. Y'all just need a big hug. :pac:

Having a passing interest is one thing but I don't believe there is a demand out there for it, and most people have the UK stations that cover it anyway!

Norway/Denmark
    Belgium/Holland
    France/Belgium
    Russia/Ukraine
    Lithuania/Latvia
    New Zealand/Australia
    Serbia/Bosnia
    Croatia/Bosnia
    Croatia/Serbia
    Romania/Moldova
    Czech Republic/Slovakia
    Belarus/Russia
    Ukraine/Belarus
    Iceland/Norway
    Sweden/Norway
    Greece/Cyprus
    Switzerland/Germany

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

All overlap but are still different. All depends on your definition of culture. I think you're basing it by whats on the TV.
    And are you suggesting that those neighbouring countries would not report on major events occurring in the other, well apart from the US who probably don't know where Canada is. Regardless of if you or anyone in the UK likes it, it is a major event for the future head of state to be getting married and all the associated ceremony that goes with it is part of what makes it a big story. It is a different issue about if it's right that the future head of state is already defined or not, but still, it is already determined so therefore it makes anything he does of some interest to some people. His wedding being the biggest story there will be about him until his granny and dad both pop their clogs.
    Having a passing interest is one thing but I don't believe there is a demand out there for it, and most people have the UK stations that cover it anyway!

I'd be agreeing with you that anyone that actually wanted to watch it will be watching it on BBC anyway, but clearly RTE think there is still some advertising revenue to be had from showing it, as do the advertisers who will be paying for those ad slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The reason why RTE Are showing it is becasue the Royal family said, they will nuke all of our five main cities and those nukes have the power to nuke all of ireland alone. ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'd be agreeing with you that anyone that actually wanted to watch it will be watching it on BBC anyway, but clearly RTE think there is still some advertising revenue to be had from showing it, as do the advertisers who will be paying for those ad slots.

They should show the royal wedding every day for the next ten years in that case.. Maybe then they wouldn't need to be propped up by the public purse! =p

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kc87

And are you suggesting that those neighbouring countries would not report on major events occurring in the other, well apart from the US who probably don't know where Canada is. Regardless of if you or anyone in the UK likes it, it is a major event for the future head of state to be getting married and all the associated ceremony that goes with it is part of what makes it a big story. It is a different issue about if it's right that the future head of state is already defined or not, but still, it is already determined so therefore it makes anything he does of some interest to some people. His wedding being the biggest story there will be about him until his granny and dad both pop their clogs.

No problem with reporting on it but full all-out live coverage is unnecessary and unwarranted IMO, especially as we are not a monarchy.
    I don't see how the future head of state thing works, after all does British TV cover presidential elections and inauguration ceremonies here? Don't think so.

Whayyy.....we agree!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

No, what you mean to say, is that you don't want to watch it, and therefore nobody should be allowed to watch it! That's what it boils down to really. RTE are both performing a public service here (providing something that people want to see) and a commercial service for themselves (providing something which people want to see). I see nothing at all wrong with it. I might even flick over and watch a bit myself if I'm bored. I hate this solipsistic nonsense that permeates internet fora, wherby anything that the poster doesn't deem of interest, is therefore not interesting! It's amazingly arrogant.

Also, the wedding is being shown live across the world, to an expected audience of 2 billion people. Many of whom have less cultural links with the UK than Ireland. Can you not just accept that people may want to glimpse at the damn thing, out of prurience and nosiness as much as for anything else? I manage to do so with the soaps and other programmes I dislike, without demanding that they be removed from the airwaves, because my satisfaction and viewing pleasure, is all that matters. Perhaps you could try it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Can't wait to see who made Kate's dress xxxx <3

Paul Galvin.

• Advertisement

No problem with reporting on it but full all-out live coverage is unnecessary and unwarranted IMO, especially as we are not a monarchy.
    I don't see how the future head of state thing works, after all does British TV cover presidential elections and inauguration ceremonies here? Don't think so.

They wouldn't be covering the election, but would certainly expect them the make mention of the results/ inaugration in the 6O'Clock news. Unless somewhere new in the middle east is getting bombed that day. But would RTE actually even be having a ful days coverage of the president getting sworn in, or would they just show the highlights on the evening news rather than disrupt the daytime soaps?

Unfortunately princesses riding around in horse draw carridges has more TV appeal than some old politician standing in a rainy Dublin courtyard.

Advertisement