Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH royal wedding mega thread (no flaming queens)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

murpho999 wrote: »
    No problem with reporting on it but full all-out live coverage is unnecessary and unwarranted IMO, especially as we are not a monarchy.

Well people want to watch it, so it is necessary, and it is warranted. For someone who I imagine believes the monarchy is an anti-democratic institution, you don;t seem to have a problem impising your own views on others.

I don't see how the future head of state thing works, after all does British TV cover presidential elections and inauguration ceremonies here? Don't think so.

Do American networks cover Irish elections, and inaugurations? Don't think so...

Whayyy.....we agree!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Einhard wrote: »
    No, what you mean to say, is that you don't want to watch it, and therefore nobody should be allowed to watch it! That's what it boils down to really. RTE are both performing a public service here (providing something that people want to see) and a commercial service for themselves (providing something which people want to see). I see nothing at all wrong with it. I might even flick over and watch a bit myself if I'm bored. I hate this solipsistic nonsense that permeates internet fora, wherby anything that the poster doesn't deem of interest, is therefore not interesting! It's amazingly arrogant.

Also, the wedding is being shown live across the world, to an expected audience of 2 billion people. Many of whom have less cultural links with the UK than Ireland. Can you not just accept that people may want to glimpse at the damn thing, out of prurience and nosiness as much as for anything else? I manage to do so with the soaps and other programmes I dislike, without demanding that they be removed from the airwaves, because my satisfaction and viewing pleasure, is all that matters. Perhaps you could try it too?

TV is full of stuff I don't like...soaps etc and I accept that, but I just don't see why RTE/TV3 should be covering an event that has no impact on this country whatsoever. If people want to watch it, fair enough, there are plenty of opportunities to watch it on other channels.

You're calling me arrogant for dismissing people who would have an interest in it? I am not solipist, but I just fail to see how people would enjoy looking at the elitist wedding ceremony of a stranger, that they will most likely never meet: but that's my opinion. I don't understand all this obsession around celeb status and their lives and with British Royal families it's even worse.

Also, I really doubt the forecast TV figures are correct: I can't imagine one third of the planet watching this event. That's just media hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

murpho999 wrote: »
    TV is full of stuff I don't like...soaps etc and I accept that, but I just don't see why RTE/TV3 should be covering an event that has no impact on this country whatsoever. If people want to watch it, fair enough, there are plenty of opportunities to watch it on other channels.

I imagine the impact on this country is negligible, rather than non-existent. AFAIK, several Irish designers have created dresses for those involved in the wedding.

That's not the point however. Very little of what's shown on tv has an impact on this country, or its citizens. Were that the criteria by which programmes were commissioned or purchased, the schedules would be filled with nothing but documantaries and current affairs. What exactly does Desperate Housewives have to do with this country? Home & Away? Real Madrid Vs Barcelona? Much less than this wedding. Yet TV3 and RTE show them, beause people are interested in them. And people will enjoy watching the wedding. I don't understand why a) you can't accept that, and b) you'd seek to prevent people from partaking in something on the basis that you don't find it interesting.

Also, not everyone has access to non-domestic channels.
    You're calling me arrogant for dismissing people who would have an interest in it? I am not solipist, but I just fail to see how people would enjoy looking at the elitist wedding ceremony of a stranger, that they will most likely never meet: but that's my opinion. I don't understand all this obsession around celeb status and their lives and with British Royal families it's even worse.

Yes I am calling you arrogant for dismissing those people with such condescending ease. It's entirely understandable that you might wonder how people could possibly be interested- it's another thing though, to seek to prevent them from finding an outlet for that interest. My granny for instance, is looking forward to the event. She doesn't have access to British channels. She's paid her dues all her life, including to RTE. And yet, you'd seek to deny her the simple pleasure of watching something she's interested in on tv. I really can;t understand that.
    Also, I really doubt the forecast TV figures are correct: I can't imagine one third of the planet watching this event. That's just media hype.

Much of the coverage will be provided by commercial tv stations, especially in the US, but also here in Ireland through TV3. These networks are run for profit, and they wouldn't be showing the wedding if they weren't confident of an audience, and thus revenue. The fact that they are covering the event, clearly suggests a genuine worldwide interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

F*ck William, I can't wait for Harry's wedding. It's gonna be like a traveller wedding or something, judging by the cut of that girl he's seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

F*ck William, I can't wait for Harry's wedding. It's gonna be like a traveller wedding or something, judging by the cut of that girl he's seeing.

itll only be good if he turns up in that nazi gear again:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 babyface11

OMG kate is going to look so pretty! im starting a diet i want to be as thin as her!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

babyface11 wrote: »
    OMG kate is going to look so pretty! im starting a diet i want to be as thin as her!

http://www.seoboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/implied-facepalm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 babyface11

what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

itll only be good if he turns up in that nazi gear again:D

With a joint hanging out of his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

When Grace Kelly got married there was huge interest in Ireland. Or so the parents tell me, I'm only a young 'un
    Wasn't televised live but it was covered by radio and later shown on TV

But Grace Kelly did have an Irish connection I suppose and herself and Prince Rainier had holidays in Ireland
    Edit, sure Prince Albert was here last month, there seems to be a lot of goodwill between Ireland and Monaco

I wonder if RTE will cover Albert's wedding. What with him being of partly Irish stock and all.

Probs not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

AFAIK, several Irish designers have created dresses for those involved in the wedding.
    Interesting. Another reason people in the republic will be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sky News reporting that Kate is getting a Union Jack vajazzle for the wedding night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Where's everyone watching it? Anywhere around D2 showing it with a bit of brekkie in the morn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

By this time tomorrow, Kate will know the real meaning of the phrase 'A right royal pain in the arse'..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭LimeTime

Kate Middleton is an anagram of Naked Tit Model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

It's the day of Prince William's wedding. He and Kate are having a wonderful time, but beneath the smiles and celebrations, Kate appears to be in pain.

William notices, and asks her what's wrong.

"Well it's these shoes", she says, "I'm sure they sent me the wrong ones. They must be at least 2 sizes two small!"

"Never mind", he replies, "The reception will be over soon and we can head back to the room and take them off".

Sure enough, the reception draws to a close and after the guests have gone, William and Kate make their way towards their bedroom, little knowing that they have been followed by the rest of the royal family, who press their ears against the door to get a good listen.

Kate collapses on the bed and William, looking at her shoes, says "Right! you've waited long enough - let's get these off straight away"

There's about 5 minutes of grunting and moaning, followed by a loud sigh of relief from Kate.

"Bloody hell! That was tight!", exclaims William.

Outside the door, The Queen whispers to Prince Charles "See! I told you she was still a virgin!"

Back inside, William looks at the other shoe.
    "Right! Now let's have a go at the other one"

5 more minutes of grunting and moaning occur, followed by another loud groan from Kate. "Christ! That one was even tighter!", says William.

"That's my boy!", whispers Prince Charles, with a tear in his eye, "Once a sailor, always a sailor!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Norway/Denmark
    Belgium/Holland
    France/Belgium
    Russia/Ukraine
    Lithuania/Latvia
    New Zealand/Australia
    Romania/Moldova
    Czech Republic/Slovakia
    Belarus/Russia
    Ukraine/Belarus
    Iceland/Norway
    Sweden/Norway
    Greece/Cyprus
    Switzerland/Germany

Exactly, everyone should just get along!
    Serbia/Bosnia
    Croatia/Bosnia
    Croatia/Serbia

Oh hang on....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Saw an excellent top tip today for Mrs Parker Bowles.

Camilla, steal the limelight by turning up in Diana's wedding dress.

Got all the flags cleaned and ready to put out tomorrow. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

There are actually people taking the day off work to watch this.

I really despair of some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

KeithAFC wrote: »

Surely that should have read 'got all the flags cleaned and ready to put back out tomorrow';)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Benefit scrounging couples get married everyday in the UK - what's so special about this crowd? They'll probably divorce in a couple of years time and the UK will have yet another one of those "unmarried mothers" on their hands with like a hundred children leeching of the public finances - she'll probably be put up in a form of state subsidised social houses too.

and burn.

Did anyone notice the amount of anti-British television RTÉ have been broadcasting over the past week; we have had 'The Patriot' and 'The Wind That Shakes The Barely' already. It's slightly odd, methinks, considering that there will be a royal wedding tomorrow and the Queen is visiting these shores very soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Did anyone notice the amount of anti-British television RTÉ have been broadcasting over the past week; we have had 'The Patriot' and 'The Wind That Shakes The Barely' already. It's slightly odd, methinks, considering that there is a royal wedding tomorrow and the Queen is visiting these shores very soon.

They are just trying to balance things out a bit I guess to make up for lots of British flag waving being shown tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

But you are an Irishman Keith, you silly goose :rolleyes:

If only Dublin looked like this again :(

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/27/article-1381045-0BB2661F00000578-255_468x286.jpg

No mo chara.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

:o Poor attempt at trolling, old bean.

• Advertisement

Dionysus wrote: »
    :o Poor attempt at trolling, old bean.

But the Union Jack looks nicer than the Tricolour.

Advertisement