Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH royal wedding mega thread (no flaming queens)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Downlinz wrote: »
    I don't think most people are proud of mass emmigration in their countries history tbh. Why should we celebrate people who fecked off to contribute to another country instead of their own?

I know this is AH but most people who emigrated (and by god were they forced to emigrate!) in the 40's,50's and 60's sent alot of money back to this country including my parents in weekly envelopes........no doubt a few Irish postal sorters came by some nice notes with the Queen's head on and had no bother using them to buy beer with!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

Downlinz wrote: »
    I don't think most people are proud of mass emmigration in their countries history tbh. Why should we celebrate people who fecked off to contribute to another country instead of their own?

say that out loud at a leaving party like the one i'm going to this evening and you'll probably get a slap. whats the point of staying in a country when you cant get a job? the only people not contributing to the country are those that are offered jobs and turn them down to stay on the dole for 20 years. a select few of people on social are like that and they are the ones that you should be directing your anger at. particularly if they have kids they cant support. drives me mad.

lets not get started on our politicians. really, there are so many more people to be mad at than those who are emmigrating because they cant get what they need here. few people take the decision to leave lightly..particulary if going to aus.

mariebeth wrote: »
    Ya, me for one.

and me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

............................and I'd say there are many dolers spawn on thiS particular thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

and me

and me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

getz wrote: »
    i think a lot of irish citizen would have loved to be watching the royal wedding in london,after all,its a fairytale in real life ,its not often you see a prince getting married to a commoner,most little girls dreamed obout it happening to them,and i would have loved to seen more irish flags about,and as you said almost one third of us are proud of our irish ancestry,

I'm sorry but I really don't get this.

This was a British event for the British Monarchy.

What representation do you want? Should Enda Kenny and Mary McAleese be there?

It's the whole attitude of reverence and that the monarchies are above commoners make me very happy that I come from a republic where we are all citizens and not 'subjects' of a monarchy.

Sundew wrote: »
    ............................and I'd say there are many dolers spawn on thiS particular thread!

and if they've made something of themselves and either have a job or are actively trying to find one then happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

kate and her sister are stunners

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

well i really enjoyed the wedding today, all the style and pomp and ceremony! best of luck to them, they seem like nice people & the dress was fabbo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I wonder who will be in acting Prima Nocte tonight then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

people understand that the rights to show the wedding were given free to rte and tv3 right, so it saved them money to broadcast it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

I agree. I am also proud of my Irish ancestry, but I think today was about Britain. On an occasion like this I feel very proud to be from Britain and from London, because it was a celebration of British tradition and the celebrations now are about British communities up and down the country who are having a good time together.

There is a time and a place for Irish flags, St Patrick's day festival in Trafalgar Square being one of them, but today I don't see the relevance, seeing as the tricolour is the flag of a republic which left the kingdom.
    yet we saw flags of other former British ruled states being flown?
    I see what your saying though, and I guess in a way, since we abandoned the Commonwealth, its not our celebration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

So much for a day of studying. Watched the wedding on tv. It was great. They are such a nice couple. Lovely dress. Prince william was handsome, as always.

Im not a fan of weddings but this made me want to get married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

So much for a day of studying

In fairness when your studying, anything is a distraction! If it wasnt on, there'd be Great Tank Battles on Discovery instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I just hope William visits Carrickfergus to meet his people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I just hope William visits Carrickfergus to meet his people.

Don't worry. He won;t

Hes been to N.I many times. So i don't see why not. After todays announcment, he might just visit carrickfergus.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, got to see highlights there. Must say, regardless of who they are or where they are from, that was one hell of a show. Anyone who can come away from that and see nothing special or interesting, puzzles me. The whole procedure, rules, precision, timing and organisation is just sensational. The etiquette and formalities, amazing. Love them or not, the Brits know how to put on a show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

So is Harry gonna ride Kate's sister tonight? Bet he does, the dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

walshb wrote: »
    The whole procedure, rules, precision, timing and organisation is just sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

because it was a celebration of British tradition and the celebrations now are about British communities up and down the country who are having a good time together.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-13241657

:pac::pac:

I wonder who was responsible for that. I could take a guess. :eek:

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I wonder who was responsible for that. I could take a guess. :eek:

It begins with The ?

It begins with The ?
    Nope. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Celtic football club, against Bigotry and racism, unless those people trying to enjoy themselves are those who feel British!

Glad I don't live in your messed up city - but feel for those who just want to have a bit of a party like those in every other part of the country.

Celtic football club, against Bigotry and racism, unless those people trying to enjoy themselves are those who feel British!

Glad I don't live in your messed up city - but feel for those who just want to have a bit of a party like those in every other part of the country.

You need to educate yourself about how and what went on today before you spout nonsense like the above.

You got it. That is what i thought. Disgraceful scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Carrickfergus :D he hit the jackpot with that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

You need to educate yourself about how and what went on today before you spout nonsense like the above.

umm, having a friend from glasgow who educated me pretty well. Sporadic fights between people carrying union flags and people turning up for a bit of aggro.

Bottles being thrown and police everywhere. Funny how people who want to celebrate this occasion across the country can be left to do so peacefully by those who dont in every part of the country except glasgow isn't it?

Advertisement