Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH royal wedding mega thread (no flaming queens)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Do RTE have smellyvision yet?. Would be worth getting for Kate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

On the Pat Kenny radio show last week, Paddy O' Gorman interviewed women from West Belfast on whether they will watch the British Royal wedding.
    Everyone of them said yes, with some having to do it in secret (in the absence of a spouse/partner). These have come from a staunch republican background(in the Irish sense).
    My point is that there is a large amount of people who love the glitz and glamour of these occasions and if the demand is there ANY TV station will show it.
    For me, I'd be lying if I said that if I was flicking around with remote and it came on that I wouldn't watch it.
    Its like anything on telly.....Whatever floats your boat.
    As an aside, a poll on this would be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Fair play to RTE for showing it.
    The irish love soaps and the Royal family are the biggest soap going. You have divorces,affairs,cousins marrying each other and racist gaffes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I think RTE deserve to be applauded for this. Many good Orange men in the republic will be wanting to watch this as they are royalists and its nice to see RTE are showing equality and fairness.

1501preview.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy

I think RTE deserve to be applauded for this. Many good Orange men in the republic will be wanting to watch this as they are royalists and its nice to see RTE are showing equality and fairness.

Hard to find one never mind many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You do know there is people who live in the Irish republic that aren't Irish or republicans?
    They don't count. We hate them all. Feckin' Brits.

baldbear wrote: »
    Fair play to RTE for showing it.
    The irish love soaps and the Royal family are the biggest soap going. You have divorces,affairs,cousins marrying each other and racist gaffes!

I'm looking forward to the Queen's visit because of the Phil dude.
    I want him to say something stupid in Croke Park. The hysteria will be funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Ugh!

I'd rather listen to Rebbecca Black singing Friday over and over again for six hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Kate Middleton says to the Queen "What's the secret of a long marriage?"

Queen replies "Wear a seatbelt and don't piss me off"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

kfallon wrote: »
    RTE should be fooking ashamed of themselves :mad:

That's it, further evidence for the reason why I'll never, ever pay my TV licence again.

Watching the son of a slag get married to some other slag!
    They should also stop airing eastenders, bad influence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Glad to see RTE covering Kate & Williams wedding, British Royal weddings trandsend politics & they always go down well here in Ireland, I seem to remember Charles & Diana's wedding being shown on RTE One back in 81, and the one story that made me smile at the time was about a group of Welsh Nationalist Rugby supporters who wanted to get away from all the pomp & ceremony about the wedding in their home town, so they took the ferry over to Dublin expecting it to be a "Royal wedding free zone" . . . sadly for them they got a big surprise in Dublin, as every pub & TV shop window in the City centre was showing the wedding, with crowds enjoying the event :)

• Advertisement

Are you sure that wasn't her funeral?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Many Irish people watched her funeral too (1997), I remember well the queues to sign the book of condolence at the British embassy in Dublin.

St. Peter meets Mother Theresa at the Gates of heaven and say's, "You were a good woman. I'm giving you a nice halo!"
    Mother Theresa is walking around Heaven when she sees Princess Di, and the Princess has a much bigger halo.
    Mother Theresa goes back to St. Peter and says, "St. Peter, I spent most of my adult life helping the poor and sickly. Princess Diana did no where near the amount of charitable work I did. Why does she have a bigger halo?"
    "That's not a halo," St. Peter replied, "Its a steering wheel!"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Princess Di jokes. Fresh.

I couldn't give a toss about the political side of it, but there is really going to be no escape from this wedding on TV now, is there? TV3's daytime lineup consists of women harping on about nothing so no doubt they'll be talking about it as well.

I hope the weather's nice, I'll go wash the car or something.

Why did Princess Diana always act like a baby?
    Because she was always sucking on a Dodi

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Most of the country stayed in to watch the Charles and Diana wedding in 1981.
    The Pope's mass in Phoenix Park and the build up to the Ireland /Italy game in USA '94 were the only other times I've seen the streets so deserted .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the reality is that RTE have nothing better to show, they're paying Tubbs, The Plank and others half a mill each to front what is at best mediocre programming.
    the sooner the channel is sold off and privatised the better, let someone run it who actually knows what they're doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

LordSutch wrote: »
    Many Irish people watched her funeral too (1997), I remember well the queues to sign the book of condolence at the British embassy in Dublin.

She was a candle in the wind :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Indeed and I was also saying that it's ironic how many of the people spouting anti-british rubbish have propbably done at least one of the things I mentioned.

This, once again, is an absolutely stupid fúcking point to make. The stupidity starts by equating "British" with "British royalism". The latter, and specifically RTÉ showing an event from the latter is what people here are objecting to. Can you not even see they are far from synonymous? In your mentality one cannot like aspects of British culture and reject other aspects. Most rational people accept and reject aspects of every culture. Try exploring words like eclectic. But here you are telling everybody who doesn't agree with British royalism that they are being hypocritical because they like other aspects of British culture. Stupid. Stupid, and stupid again.

Here are some of the many other things I, for one, am apparently "hypocritical" about: I love many things about French culture, but I abhor the way they treated the Algerians.... I love many aspects of US culture but I abhor the way they invade oil-rich countries quicker than countries without oil.... - for that matter, I love many things about Ireland but I abhor the way people like the former AIB CEO Colm Doherty received a €3 million golden handshake in the past few months. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Dudess wrote: »
    More the glamour and "celeb" factor I'd say...

Well exactly. I see this as being no different to when people used be glued to the likes of 'Dynasty' and 'Dallas' back in the eighties.

Escapism and nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

You do know there is people who live in the Irish republic that aren't Irish or republicans?

By that logic we should show the wedding of the leader of Nigeria because they are getting married. There are Nigerians in this county. Stupid logic. If you want to watch the wedding for foreign leaders then watch it on foreign TV. RTE are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Dionysus wrote: »
    This, once again, is an absolutely stupid fúcking point to make. The stupidity starts by equating "British" with "British royalism". The latter, and specifically RTÉ showing an event from the latter is what people here are objecting to. Can you not even see they are far from synonymous? In your mentality one cannot like aspects of British culture and reject other aspects. Most rational people accept and reject aspects of every culture. Try exploring words like eclectic. But here you are telling everybody who doesn't agree with British royalism that they are being hypocritical because they like other aspects of British culture. Stupid. Stupid, and stupid again.

Here are some of the many other things I, for one, am apparently "hypocritical" about: I love many things about French culture, but I abhor the way they treated the Algerians.... I love many aspects of US culture but I abhor the way they invade oil-rich countries quicker than countries without oil.... - for that matter, I love many things about Ireland but I abhor the way people like the former AIB CEO Colm Doherty received a €3 million golden handshake in the past few months. :confused:

Do you accept that people like different things? That somebody may have a different view to you?

Predator_ wrote: »
    By that logic we should show the wedding of the leader of Nigeria because they are getting married. There are Nigerians in this county. Stupid logic. If you want to watch the wedding for foreign leaders then watch it on foreign TV. RTE are a joke.

IF there was as big a demand for it, then maybe RTE should look into it!

The fact of the matter is, they are our closest neighbours, our trade partner, and influence on life. People obviously want to watch it. RTE are vastly criticised for not being moneywise (and I would be one of them!) and here is a chance for them to make money, and people don't want it shown because "Dem dere Brit Kings did things in de past!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

IF there was as big a demand for it, then maybe RTE should look into it!

The fact of the matter is, they are our closest neighbours, our trade partner, and influence on life. People obviously want to watch it. RTE are vastly criticised for not being moneywise (and I would be one of them!) and here is a chance for them to make money, and people don't want it shown because "Dem dere Brit Kings did things in de past!"

I disagree, there will be some middle class west brit women who will be interested but the rest of us Irish will wont have any interest in this foreign spectacle. Plus im sure they have Sky tv anyway so its a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Kunle wrote: »
    I was disgusted to read today that RTE ONE Television will have live coverage the royal wedding, Why are they doing this? Would they cover a royal wedding in Norway? What have those brits who were born with a sliver spoon in their mouth got to do with us? Why would us Irish want to watch that trash?

Something for the grasping status obsessed upper middle class to aspire to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Do you accept that people like different things? That somebody may have a different view to you?

Obviously all 7 billion people on the planet think precisely as I do on every single issue that has ever arisen. :rolleyes: What's with the stupid questions?

Predator_ wrote: »
    I disagree, there will be some middle class west brit women who will be interested but the rest of us Irish will wont have any interest in this foreign spectacle. Plus im sure they have Sky tv anyway so its a complete waste of time.

My mother would not be middle class, not "west brit," and will probably watch it. As will my fiances very catholic grandmother. Neither of which have Sky, and BBC coverage is patchy. I won't be, as it is of no interest to me, but I'm not stupid enough to think people don't want to watch it.

Dionysus wrote: »
    Obviously all 7 billion people on the planet think precisely as I do on every single issue that has ever arisen. :rolleyes: What's with the stupid questions?

Whats with all the stupid answers?

Not everyone is caught up in the British =/= British Monarchy thought process you seem to have. Don't want to watch it? Don't fúcking watch it. Are you missing the Afternoon Show? Damn shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Is the wedding not on at 11.00am or so? What would normally be on at that time? And it's on a Friday (ie a working day), no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Predator_ why not actually do something to redress the situashun and email RTE rather than sounding off on a message board?
    info@rte.ie or feedback@rte.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

My mother would not be middle class, not "west brit," and will probably watch it. As will my fiances very catholic grandmother. Neither of which have Sky, and BBC coverage is patchy. I won't be, as it is of no interest to me, but I'm not stupid enough to think people don't want to watch it.

Whats with all the stupid answers?

Not everyone is caught up in the British =/= British Monarchy thought process you seem to have. Don't want to watch it? Don't fúcking watch it. Are you missing the Afternoon Show? Damn shame.

My mama is middle class and she thinks the British are frightful horrors!

Advertisement