Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Height Discrimination

• 18-04-2011 1:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

I've noticed that women being paid less than men is in the media a lot.

What I want to know is, why don't they have headlines in the newspapers saying things like "tall people still earn 30 percent more than short people".

Why is gender discrimination so special?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200310/tall-people-get-paid-more

If there are quotas for women ( which is ludicrous) why shouldn't there be quotas for short people?

You could say short people are being discriminated against compared to women.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What I want to know is, why don't they have headlines in the newspapers saying things like "tall people still earn 30 percent more than short people".

If there are quotas for women ( which is ludicrous) why shouldn't there be quotas for short people?

You got small man syndrome???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

That would be the height of discrimination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Us tall people get paid more because we have to face the dangers of getting hit in the head by an airplane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

So because I’m tiny I should get paid less than someone taller than me who does the same job? Wut? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Because quotas discriminate against the most qualified people.
    Especially if a normal person is more qualified, but they have to hire some midget just to please some equality board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Kiera wrote: »
    So because I’m tiny I should get paid less than someone taller than me who does the same job? Wut? :confused:

Yes. Ewoks should get paid less then normals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Us tall people have a greater chance of being rained upon first and so require that extra 30% remuneration.

Yes. Ewoks should get paid less then normals

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'm 6 foot, how much should I earn a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Handsome people also are more likely to get interviews, as are more confident people. So gorgeous, confident hunks like me are at an advantage! ;)

As for genders, well people shouldn't get paid less just because of their sex, though I think there are reasons for the differential, it isn't as simple as saying men get paid more.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Tall people get paid more because they need to buy bigger throusers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Obviously taller people can be trusted more, like honestly would you trust a guy 5'9? it would be like dealing with a kid.

I'm 6 foot, how much should I earn a year?

Less than me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

My Tallest! My Tallest! Hey! Hey My Tallest! My Tallest? My Tallest! Hey! Hey! Hey! My Taaaaaaallist! My Tallest? My Tallest! Hey! Hey My Tallest! My Tallest? It's me! My Tallest? My Tallest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Makes sense. You don't need to eat as much, can live in a smaller house, drive a smaller car and so on.

Fremen wrote: »
    Makes sense. You don't need to eat as much, can live in a smaller house, drive a smaller car and so on.

But i like big things :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Yeah, but for tall people, they're just normal things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Just when you think people couldn't find anything more ridiculous to complain about this pops up. I'm a 5'5 male as well so it's not as if I'm some giant who just couldn't give a **** about the poor short arses! I'd say this probably has a lot more to do with the fact a lot of midgets spend too much time worrying about the fact they're short and generally being whingey idiots. Or else it's all a load of made up rubbish from someone who doesn't have enough to be offended about. I'm gonna go with the latter.

Also quotas are a load of horse manure. Sure lets bring in quotas for fatties now while we're at it. Or for gingers. And people with slightly deformed hands. We can't be having any discrimination like this is the only way to put an end to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

The average woman is shorter than the average man so maybe its all height related ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why?

because they're ****ing retards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

sollar wrote: »
    The average woman is shorter than the average man so maybe its all height related ;)

Nope scientist have put this one to bed by proving women have smaller brains that are infact comparable to the avarage Border Collie.

because they're ****ing retards

Did you just call me a fúcking retard?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

Knasher wrote: »
    My Tallest! My Tallest! Hey! Hey My Tallest! My Tallest? My Tallest! Hey! Hey! Hey! My Taaaaaaallist! My Tallest? My Tallest! Hey! Hey My Tallest! My Tallest? It's me! My Tallest? My Tallest!

That's the most idiotic post I've read on boards in 2011

Did you just call me a fúcking retard?

are you an Ewok?

are you an Ewok?

Maybe.....

Maybe.....

well then maybe I am...

it's your call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Speak up! I can't hear you down there.

well then maybe I am...

it's your call
    Reported!
    Speak up! I can't hear you down there.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

montane wrote: »
    That's the most idiotic post I've read on boards in 2011

It's a quote from Invader Zim, I wasn't just typing my tallest a lot. I felt the reference was apt because the main character is from a race where merit is entirely based around height and the leaders are called the "tallest".

Kinda ruins it when I have to explain it though, but I don't think it should qualify as the most idiotic post of 2011 just because you didn't get the reference.

Here is the clip it's from, apologies for the quality apparently if it is any better Viacom get it taken down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Short people live longer lives on average so are rewarded in other ways. Tall people just have to make do with extra cash and power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Reported!

Ewoks can't report posts!!

They are too busy doing their little dance

Ewoks can't report posts!!

They are too busy doing their little dance

She probably bashed the computer with a log.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Was somebody up all morning drinking coffee and watching Invader Zim??

*Pats Kiera on the head*

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cactus10

For girls shorter is better. Shorter = cuter = more money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Dirty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I've noticed that Jedward are in the media 'a lot', and the reason I notice it is because I don't know what their talent actually is.

There are also 'a lot' of pictures of naked women in the media, and the reason I notice it is because is because you don't see 'a lot' of naked men in the media.

Maybe I should start threads on Talent Discrimination and Nudity Discrimination.

a lot=big numbers like you wouldn't believe

Feeona wrote: »
    Maybe I should start threads on Talent Discrimination and Nudity Discrimination.
    These overly politically correct threads have gone too far..
    Maybe you should, just to make a point..

Depends how mad you are I suppose..
    Or if you're on the rag... Bitches go mental at nothing when they're on the rag..

I've noticed that Jedward are in the media 'a lot', and the reason I notice it is because I don't know what their talent actually is.

There are also 'a lot' of pictures of naked women in the media, and the reason I notice it is because is because you don't see 'a lot' of naked men in the media.

OMG!! > Talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Wazdakka wrote: »

Or if you're on the rag... Bitches go mental at nothing when they're on the rag..
    :confused:

• Advertisement

lmao someones out to cause trouble today :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i dont care who makes my sandwiches as long as they're cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I posted this thread to hightlight how aribitrary our choice of discrimination to be concerned with is.

Why is there such a big deal about gender discrimination but not height discrimination?

How come you don't hear about protest of outraged short people about their pay disparity? Or ugly people, where are all the ugly protests since ugly people get paid less too.

lmao someones out to cause trouble today :P

Kiera.. I'm shocked that you think I would go out of my way to cause trouble.
    I'm a little angel i am..
    :D

Kiera.. I'm shocked that you think I would go out of my way to cause trouble.
    I'm a little angel i am..
    :D

Oi! I know you only too well, Waza!!!

/gives Waza back his big stick to stir some more shít :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Because quotas discriminate against the most qualified people.
    Especially if a normal person is more qualified, but they have to hire some midget just to please some equality board.

Uck. I'm short and if I got a job based on some height quota I would die a little(no pun intended) inside.

I went on a FAS course couple of years ago and "in the interest of fairness" it asked my age and gender so it could positively discriminate on who got in. How about only asking for the first letter of peoples names and no gender that would be fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

It's a quote from Invader Zim, I wasn't just typing my tallest a lot. I felt the reference was apt because the main character is from a race where merit is entirely based around height and the leaders are called the "tallest".

Kinda ruins it when I have to explain it though, but I don't think it should qualify as the most idiotic post of 2011 just because you didn't get the reference.

Thanks for the reference. In my opinion it's pretty obscure, but maybe I'm just out of the loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

There is indeed, height discrimination you only need to look at the football where currently anything over 5"7 is surplus to requirements amidst the trend of rediscovering how to play actual football again Barca, having led by example anything taller is seen as a lumbering mongo that cannot send brain to foot messages quick enough; take piqué for example.. a man still seen of some use as a disruptive factor to the flow of the game.

A la andy carroll n I'm not even gonna go into how shorter guys make for better movie stars.. rock stars dunno what the tall craze is, or if there even is one. Or why. All too often dull people in my experience.. civil servants or what have you I'm 5"9 btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

It's in the media because it actually happens unless there is statistical evidence that short people are paid less than tall people why would it be mentioned ?

Likewise fat vs thin people , Bald vs people with hair

Are there gender quotas in most workplaces in Ireland ? That is news to me.
    Good news mind as I am a short woman so I could be totally unqualified but still get the job ..result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Gingers do have souls! ... Oh sorry wrong discrimination thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement