Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea fishing reel!

Options
  • 18-04-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi Im looking to replace my ageing spinning reel that I have on my beachcaster! It still works perfect just the handle has become weakened with age/use! Its a penn fixed spool reel and has given great service! Id go for the same again except I cant find anything like it online! Could anyone recommend a good all rounder reel preferably penn, that would be able to take to punishment of serious mackrel bashing (6@ a time), dogies, bass and the ocassional conger! Budget < €100 Any info greatly appreciated! thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pdstck

Hi PUGW
    just wondering if you have found a decent reel, i'm also looking for a reel for mackerel fishing and haven't been able to find much info on net. normally where i go fishing i am standing on cliff with about 100ft drop to water, so need somethink decent for reeling them up
    Thanks
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭flounder

the penn captiva reels have a good choice in sizes , or the okuma distance reels have a metal spool and body i think and they have a 5 year warranty, both under 100euro, i have the capitiva i bought 3 years ago and its still going strong,

• Registered Users Posts: 3 redmousey

no fixed spool reel is going to last too long if you are pulling fish up a 100 foot cliff, especially one under €100.
    best bet is a strong multi like the penn 535, with a bit of practice youll be able to cast it no probs and it will haul macks all day long for you.
    if you do want a fixed spool reel have a look at the shakespeare powerplay k2 extreme, i got mine 18months ago for €70 and its a workhorse of a reel. not made anymore but a few shops still have them in stock.

Advertisement