Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor boat for leisure/fishing

• 18-04-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi

I'm going to buy a boat for leisure/fishing. I've been looking around for a while now and am stuck between getting one with a cuddy and one without. I'd like to know, if I'm going to be fishing "inshore" and possibly going out around Lambay Island which boat would be best.

In the cuddy camp I've been looking for Raiders, Warriors and Merry Fisher.
    In the non-cuddy camp a thing called a Galeon 525 or Galia and an Antares model. Most of my experience is in RIBs and while they are fun all the knives and sharp bits and lack of flat surfaces makes them a bit impractical.

Not looking at Orkneys, just don't like the look of them. Just personal preference so if you love your orkney don't take offence, it's just not for me :-)

I'll be fishing and generally touring around - seats/bench would be nice.

It'll be the first time I buy a boat.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I would go with a cuddy, handy for getting in out of the rain and keeping your gear dry. I like the merry fishers and they hold their price well. Galia also do a nice cuddy cabin, I think there is one for sail on the road between portmarnock and malahide you could have a look at and see what you think.
    It can get quite choppy around Lambay especially with the cross tides just off the harbour so I would feel a lot safer with a cuddy than an open boat.

75032_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Matsugawa

Thanks Fergal. What is that in the picture?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Matsugawa wrote: »
    Thanks Fergal. What is that in the picture?

Thats a galia 485

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Matsugawa

Sorry, do you know who is selling that boat in Portmarnock? Was out that direction today but couldn't see any boatyards? Might be looking in the wrong place.

It looks like a car garage, if you go on the cost road from portmarnock to malahide it's on the right hand side before you come to the hotel and the beach.

Here is one for sale on DD without an engine.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2103205

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Jim from Cork

For angling in this country it's hard to beat a cuddy. Protection from the elements is important especially if you plan to fish during the late autumn and winter months. If occasional fishing is your thing and a bit of day tripping a RIB is a great option Other than that it's a Warrior all the way!
    (I'm in the Warrior camp by the way :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I owned a Galia 530 with a 90hp Evinrude as our first family boat a few years ago and 3 of us used to fish from her easily. Wonderful little boat, very well built, easily trailerable, 30+ knots and a nice size cabin for shelter just make sure you get one with the full canvas cover for it - I believe that they are rare but they give you full rain protection.

Negatives are - You will also probably need to get a portapotty as they don't come as standard and you don't get running water and a cooker.

Advertisement