Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving through the field

Options
  • 18-04-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Having been reading everybodys training logs for quite a while, thought it was about time I started my own.

Started running in February 2010, and to date have completed the Enniscorthy Half Marathon (1.54) and DCM (3.56). Up to last year hadn’t done anything in years so on New Year’s Eve 2009 decided I do something about it, with my mid 30’s fast approaching and also more worryingly the 15 stone mark. Once I hit the roads haven’t looked back and enjoyed it from day 1.

Have done a couple of 5 and 10k as well, however my times are quite poor in these with a 5k PB 24.59 from March 2010, and a 10k PB of 49.46 from February.

Felt I was beginning to get a bit of speed into my legs, however the month of March knocked me back a bit between with injury, a case of vertigo, and then a cold. At the start of the month I had did a 13.1 mile training run in 1.49, and was going to target 1.40 in Enniscorthy in June, however after the layoff I will be revising that back to 1.45.

My injury lay off however led me to getting back on a bike for the first time in years and am now going to do the Ring of Kerry charity cycle on 2nd July, a nice and handy 112 mile jaunt, and I also plan on doing the Phoenix Park dualathon series as well.

So once I have these two done it will be case of getting back into training for the DCM, where I am hoping to go for 3.40/3.45.

At the moment I am following the Hal Higdon Advanced Half Marathon Plan, however am replacing two of the shorter/recovery runs, with bike sessions. Not sure if it will work but sure I’ll give it a go anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the goals and log!

I'd say sub 3.40 in DCM will be no problem to you. That half time you did in training is great going. Don't let March knock your confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

Wouldn't say it has knocked my confidence, just a month behind where I'd like to be.

Nice and handy 3.5 miles last night in the park to get over the weekend exertions. Fantastic evening for it, hopefully this weather will last for a few more days.

Intervals last night, 8x 400m. Pace all over the place, with my fastest at 6.21, and slowest being 7.09. Only comfort I can take is that I ran my last interval at 6.36.

Nice and handy day today, with 12 mile round trip commute to work on the bike, though will probably pop into the Phoenix Park on the way home for another 10/12 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Intervals last night, 8x 400m. Pace all over the place, with my fastest at 6.21, and slowest being 7.09. Only comfort I can take is that I ran my last interval at 6.36.

I assume with those interval times you were swimming ;)

Bit of a mixed bag over the past few days.

Thursday
    Tried a tempo run, but shins were giving me gip so ended up only doing 3.1 miles at 7.53 pace

Friday
    Just a short 3.5 miles before heading up to Tyrone for the Easter

Saturday
    10 mile LSR at 8.45 pace, around the Tyrone countryside. Have got too use to running on the relative flat of Dublin, as there is no way of avoiding the hills up there.

Sunday
    4 miles, shins at me again.

Monday
    After having bother with my shins over the past few days, decided to invest in a new pair of Nike Lunarglide 2. Only bought my last pair just before Christmas and they don't have much more than 300 miles in them but decided to give them another go. Will soon find out if the problem was with my old pair, or if I will be needing a trip to the physio in the coming days.

Tuesday
    No running today, wrecked after the weekend, and an early start for work this morning. Put my name in the ballot for London next year, using the in-laws address in Tyrone.

• Advertisement

Had hoped to head along to the Dualathon training evening in the Phoenix Park last night, but ended up getting home from work too late to make it. Instead headed out for a pretty uneventul 7 mile run. Shins felt fine after warming up, so thats either down to 2 days rest or the new footwear. Suppose time will tell.

Another attempt at intervals last night in the Phoenix Park and more erratic times. Having problems trying to get a consistnet speed. Plan last night was 8*400 at 5k pace.

My average interval time was 6.21 minute mile pace, however this is some one distorted with two intervals at 5.50 pace.

As it is only my second attempt at intervals I'm hoping in time to be more consistent with my splits.

Advertisement