Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need Advice on Grappling Mats

• 18-04-2011 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm looking to make a decent grappling area in my garage this summer so I can squeeze in some extra practice in between sessions at my gym.

The floor is solid smooth concrete and I was thinking of using these to mat the floor: http://www.cannonsuk.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=312

I understand that take downs and throws would be a stretch but would you say those mats would be sufficient for purely groundwork/ne-waza?

Thanks for the input!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

brizzler wrote: »
    I'm looking to make a decent grappling area in my garage this summer so I can squeeze in some extra practice in between sessions at my gym.

The floor is solid smooth concrete and I was thinking of using these to mat the floor: http://www.cannonsuk.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=312

I understand that take downs and throws would be a stretch but would you say those mats would be sufficient for purely groundwork/ne-waza?

Thanks for the input!

A few clubs here are using zig-saw mats for grappling and have no complaints (that I've read).

Tbh, I wouldn't fancy being thrown on it but for grappling I'd say its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

These mats are the best value I've found. Saves you having to order from the UK and its €26.99 for 16sq feet!

http://www.toys.ie/Foam-Mat-!D05294-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=74726962-0591-471d-a867-77859956368b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Would those really stand up to being used by adults?

Would those really stand up to being used by adults?

They're the same mats as adult jigsaws. The only difference is that smyths' target market is children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

They're the same mats as adult jigsaws. The only difference is that smyths' target market is children.
    So the mats he's linked to are 20mm thick at £12 per meter squared, they also do 40mm thick ones at £19 per meter squared, and "play" mats for £2 per meter squared.

Which are the ones you linked closest to?

BTW, brizzler, judo mats are about 40mm thick if you want some idea of how heavy duty the mats you linked to are going to be. Of course the material they're made out of will also be a big factor, and they're not very clear about that that is.

• Advertisement

So the mats he's linked to are 20mm thick at £12 per meter squared, they also do 40mm thick ones at £19 per meter squared, and "play" mats for £2 per meter squared.

Which are the ones you linked closest to?

BTW, brizzler, judo mats are about 40mm thick if you want some idea of how heavy duty the mats you linked to are going to be. Of course the material they're made out of will also be a big factor, and they're not very clear about that that is.

These are 20mm thick. Definitely not for throws or takedowns but great for grappling in your garage.

Advertisement