Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigantic fights in Dun Laoghaire main street last night...

Options
  • 18-04-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone see this?
    Some drunken idiots were fighting outside Abra. I didn't get that many details due to a (in my view sound) decision to maintain a vantage point at a fairly sizeable distance from what went on. Here's the status I posted on Facebook about it:

"Just saw the most ridiculous skanger fight outside Abra in DL, Gards were called, a car crashed into a bin ripping it to shreds, a guy was staggering around on one leg looking for someone to punch, and a large tailback of traffic as the car which hit the bin was blocking the entire road... Oh and the Gards needed 3 vans, 2 cars to bring them to the station which is just around the corner? Gotta love Dun Laoghaire! :D "

(EDIT: When I say a "bin" I mean one of the metal, fixed council bins, the round, black ones which are cemented into the ground. Got shattered to pieces when the car backed into it.)

That status doesn't do it justice to be honest. The incident went on for almost 45 minutes.

I have two questions, one for any dun laoghaire-ites present and the other for the general population:
    1: Did anyone see the start? What was this all about?
    2: WHY oh why does it take 3 Garda vans and 2 Garda cars to arrest 3 or 4 people and bring them to the Garda Station which is literally less than 60 seconds from Abra? (It's just around the corner)

I'm fairly sure I saw a couple of motorbike mounted Gards as well...

Is Ireland becoming America, where the entire squad is dispatched to arrest one guy? What's the thinking behind it? I'm sure most of those poor Gards ended up just sitting at the wheel watching their colleagues deal with it and wondering why they had been called out when there was already a small army of Gards dealing with the incident... Anyone know why the need for overkill?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Dún Laoghaire is a complete shíthole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

So for once there was a sufficient amount of Gardai to deal with a problem in Ireland and you complain about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

flash1080 wrote: »
    Dún Laoghaire is a complete shíthole.

It's a nice spot, just attracts scummers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

you saw a drunk fight and decided it was important enough to start a thread about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I did indeed.

It started when someone tried to claim that Lord Palmerston was the best British Prime Minister in history.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I did indeed.

It started when someone tried to claim that Lord Palmerston was the best British Prime Minister in history.

damn you ikky poo2!!! got there before me

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I did indeed.

I'd like to smack that person myself, shit stirrer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

An over the top thread title if I ever saw one, with all due respect 3 or 4 people do not make a "Gigantic Fight".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

bijapos wrote: »
    An over the top thread title if I ever saw one, with all due respect 3 or 4 people do not make a "Gigantic Fight".

They do if they're gigantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

fontanalis wrote: »
    It's a nice spot, just attracts scummers.

Dún Laoghaire is a nice spot but it's unfortunately in very close proximity to many council estates with huge unemployment and drug problems, hence the amount of scummers that seem to be crawling the place 24/7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

3 or 4 people fighting is a "gigantic" fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

2: WHY oh why does it take 3 Garda vans and 2 Garda cars to arrest 3 or 4 people and bring them to the Garda Station which is literally less than 60 seconds from Abra? (It's just around the corner)
    ?

1) You said incident lasted 45 mins so guards obviously felt they needed backup to deal with incident

2) 3 or 4 arrests??couldnt have been as big an incident a you say

3) where would you suggest the guards take the prisoners?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From After Hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is Ireland becoming America, where the entire squad is dispatched to arrest one guy? Anyone know why the need for overkill?

Last night we had a thread on a person in Tipperary assualted and complaining about the response from the Gardai

In Dublin they have far more resources and I read a thread about overkill?

Can't win :(

3 or 4 people fighting is a "gigantic" fight?

No, according to the title, it's gigantic fights. So I'm guessing it was four people, unless one guy was so drunk he was fighting himself.

Or it was a triple threat.

Or it was actually Old Trafford and the ref had given the away team a penalty.

I did indeed.

Everybody knows it was H.T. Elder

talla10 wrote: »
    Everybody knows it was H.T. Elder

Who?

I assume you mean Pitt the Elder?

That's it, we're takin' this outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Anyone know why the need for overkill?

Dispatcher: We have a large street brawl taking place, number of involved parties taking part unknown.
    Dispatcher 2: Ok, we have three vans and two cars in the vicinity, I'll contact them.
    Dispatcher: Yup, better to be safe than sor....no actually.
    Dispatcher 2: No?
    Dispatcher: No, lets keep it interesting, sure where's the fun if we guarantee their ability to bring peace and order? Let's send in that new fella from Cork on his own and see what happens. The rest are desperately needed to continue sitting around waiting for something else to happen.
    Dispatcher 2: This is gonna be great!

biko wrote: »
    From After Hours

And yet, if this happened in Eyre Square, it would still be in AH...?

Who?

I assume you mean Pitt the Elder?

That's it, we're takin' this outside!

Lets go!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

And yet, if this happened in Eyre Square, it would still be in AH...?
    Definitely not, what happens in Galway stays in Galway ;)

biko wrote: »
    Definitely not, what happens in Galway stays in Galway ;)

Well, thank fvck for that!

Can you persuade Mayo to take the same approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Transit vans are used to transport drunk/aggressive suspects. No way in the world would they be put in a car, especially if they are drunk. Easier to sweep / mop vomit out of a van, as supposed to the back seat of a car.

It's standard procedure to send numerous units to an altercation. Sometimes it can take 2+ officers to subdue one individual. So even if there was only 3/4 involved, potentially that could require 6/8 Guards. Not overkill at all really.

Generally, most units will be out on the road, so proximity to station is irreverent, as they might not have been coming from there.

I'd much rather see over kill, than reading about injured guards / members of the public the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭voter1983

Well done to the gardai involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Sure if it was only a little fight, that didn't require such a strong garda presence of 5 cars, going by your story, why didn't you go from your vantage point to get a better look?

probably cause as a keyboard warrior you were scared sh1tless to go anywhere near it; And really you want to give out about a driver who came accross the fight, and like you was scared and wanted to get the fcuk out of dodge? I wonder for the future of this country if youu are giving out about a decent garda presence at an incident.

just to let you know in advance through the middle of may there will be a garda presence around the visit of 2 foreign heads of state and a major sporting event in the aviva during the same week, start drafting your outrage about this now and see you online then.

Advertisement