Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repair camera

• 18-04-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi I have a Canon camera that i bought for €100 online. I dropped it last weekend and it came apart so i tried to stick it back together. Even though i can switch it on, it isn't fully back together and i can't take photos. I'd really like to get it fixed as i only have had it for 4 months. I went into a place on Georges street and he said there is a guy on Dame street that charges €20 just to look at the camera! Does anyone know of anyone honest who will take a look at it and try to repair it without charging me loads? I'd be willing to spend about 20-30 to get it fixed.
    Thanks,

Adrienne

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

PM zerohamster, he might be able to help you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You can ask Zerohamster on this forum, he can advise you as he repairs cameras.

Can I ask why you think that someone who repairs cameras should not earn a living?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Adrienne13 wrote: »
    I'd be willing to spend about 20-30 to get it fixed.
    unless its something trivial which is wrong, you have little chance of getting it repaired for this much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Adrienne13 wrote: »
    Hi I have a Canon camera that i bought for €100 online. I dropped it last weekend and it came apart so i tried to stick it back together. Even though i can switch it on, it isn't fully back together and i can't take photos. I'd really like to get it fixed as i only have had it for 4 months. I went into a place on Georges street and he said there is a guy on Dame street that charges €20 just to look at the camera! Does anyone know of anyone honest who will take a look at it and try to repair it without charging me loads? I'd be willing to spend about 20-30 to get it fixed.
    Thanks,

Adrienne

unfortunately .... a lot of cameras these days if they drop its usually cheaper to buy another instead of getting it repaired.

The guy that wanted to charge you for looking at his camera was simply looking for money to cover his time ...he would assess the camera and for him to do this he needs to stop doing everything else , open up your camera and check whats going on inside, if there are any broken parts or missing parts....it might be better for you to buy a new camera and take better care of it next time.

sorry if that sounds like harsh advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hardly harsh - most places will deduct the cost of the assessment from the repair afaik; and i suspect most assessments of digital P&S cameras results in no further work, so if they didn't charge, it'd be a massive waste of their time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Adrienne13

Hi all,
    For some reason, I didn't see your replies until now. Thanks for your advice. I don't think that someone who repairs cameras doesn't deserve to earn a living but the guy on Georges Street gave me the impression that the guy who charges 20 may pull a fast one. Thanks for the advice about contacting zero hamster. Think i probably will have to buy a new one and not have such slippy fingers in future :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭dmg1982

I've used Photographic Repair Services Ltd. to clean my DSLRs a few times, very reasonably priced and they guy (Declan) would pick-up and drop back the gear either the same day or early the next. He'd also fully clean whatever lenses were attached. I've never needed any repair work done, but it'd be worth getting in touch with them.
    Highly unlikely to pull a fast one IMO.

Advertisement