Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sciatica

Options
  • 18-04-2011 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭

It's not definite yet, as I have to go for an MRI scan, but I may have Sciatica as a result of an accident.

Can anyone tell me anything about it? I know I could google it but I'd rather hear from people who have it, not from a medical site.

Has it affected you much? Have you been able to continue working with it? Can you do physically demanding work? Are you restricted in doing certain things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

I had this continuously for almost a year and it nearly drove me insane. It was very painful condition whereby I had a pain that started in my buttock and travelled all down my leg on the outside and sometimes had tingling sensation in my foot and at one point had difficulty lifting my foot with it. Anyway my good news was that I got pregnant and in discussion with gynae thought it may be worthwhile trying the epidural as this can ease the sciatica. That was 7 years ago and I haven't had a moments trouble with sciatica or discs since. Not sure why but it was incredibly successful for me. Oh yes I also lost a lot of weight and this undoubtedly helped too. HTH

Yes I was incredibly restricted as if I sat down I would lock into position and not be able to straighten. The most difficult thing was I found I was unable to sleep due to the pain and taking pain killers a lot which caused stomach problems. If you are able to work then you might have it mildly and maybe some physio may be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

Keep as active as you can, even if it just gentle walking. Using a TENS machine might help with the pain in some areas....anti-inflammatories should help as well.

Likely you will be referred for physio, if you haven't been before, and possibly an epidural. As SlimCi said they can be very effective.

I have flare-ups when my discs are at me, i get severe pain from buttock down to my knee, occasionally tingling in my foot. Sometimes it will be so bad i can't walk/sit/stand/sleep, and i can't drive (you're not normally insured if you have it badly as it can affect your control of the car), which is not fun. I have a physical job so i have to watch what i do, and try not to overdo things, but if i get bad i rest (as in reduce the amount of walking/working i do, not stopping fully), take some anti-inflammatories and have a few 'easy' days. I am having epidurals but they haven't had a major effect for me, but it's for degenerative disc disease as problems with L4/5.

Hope you get some relief :)

Advertisement