Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stern rudder

• 18-04-2011 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just sussing out some level 3 requirements, I have heard of and have seen the stern rudder demo'd but how and where would you use it properly? Is it really only for playing on waves etc?

Ta :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

prety much surfing waves. You can also use it when your tring to set up your line in the lead in to a rapid but positive strokes are better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

I use it as part of breaking back into the flow as opposed to a bow rudder at times. I like it because using it as part of an inside turn helps keep your momentum up. I've found it useful when ferrying as well as it is a bit easier than a hanging draw for a similar effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

So it's a bit like the draw stroke, you need to know it but may never use it?

paddlers use different combinations of strokes in different situations. To say it's a need to know but may never use it is a bit too general. The best thing to do is try using it in a few situations like breaking in and out and in a ferry or on waves. Try it out in a few different situations and see what you think of it!

It's definitely more useful than a draw stroke. Even if you never surf ocean waves you can still use it on river waves and it can be useful for ferry gliding and breaking out if you surf a diagonal out to get you further into the middle of the river.

• Advertisement

Will do, going to be covering it on Thursday evening. I think we're going to look at reverse ferry gliding with it.

Cant quite picture that one, but if it works!

KenHy wrote: »

was thinking the same :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Hea Man keep an open mind regarding strokes every stroke is usefull in its own way as a progression or leading into another stroke.

Strokes like draw strokes and stern rudders work really well when applied in the right places and areas if you are only getting to level 3 its pretty important to get a good grasp of all these strokes as you can then start linking them into combinations to make better harder moves on the river sea or where ever your preferred place to paddle is.

Enjoy the water

Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

KenHy wrote: »

I might be talking through my arse :p
    Hea Man keep an open mind regarding strokes every stroke is usefull in its own way as a progression or leading into another stroke.

Strokes like draw strokes and stern rudders work really well when applied in the right places and areas if you are only getting to level 3 its pretty important to get a good grasp of all these strokes as you can then start linking them into combinations to make better harder moves on the river sea or where ever your preferred place to paddle is.

Cool, thanks for that mate :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement