Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD JUDO CLUB

Options
  • 18-04-2011 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Im coming to ucd in september

Whats the story with the ucd judo club ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

You might be better off asking in the self-defense forum, but I think it was disbanded a few months ago. Not sure though, you could always do a google to see if they have a website. Shame, they were a nice bunch of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Estragon

The Judo Club is sadly no longer active, whether this will change in the immediate future, I do not know.

There are many other highly active Martial Arts clubs in UCD though, including Shaolin and Karate and Nijitsu, you might like to try your hand at one of these.

I would suggest Karate, but then, I would say that since that's the club I'm involved with. Check out our Facebook.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I would promote Taekwon-do, great UCD club!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

I've been in Ninjutsu and Shaolin since freshers' week 2003 and freshers' week 2004 and still train almost every week. I'm not still studying what I did in my degree so you never know what will stick with you from university. For throwing people around on mats I can recommend Ninjutsu. The only thing is there are no competitions in either club, it's all self-defence, which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

If you have Judo, you'd be better off doing wrestling or MMA. There would be a greater transfer of skills from your Judo.

Whatever you choose, you'll have a blast. All the clubs have excellent committees and are all genuinely lovely people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LetsThinkBIG

Really.. I had seen that it was disbanded on the ucd clubs website but i was hoping for it being a non updated page.
    Shucks.

Thers bound to be judo clubs around the city im sure, but fighting for my college was what i wanted !

Is it hard to restart the club ?
    Could a 1st year do it ?
    Would there be many people interested in it ?

Its a lovely sport and i recently got my green belt !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Is it hard to restart the club ?
    Could a 1st year do it ?
    Would there be many people interested in it ?

UCD have a rule in place that no new clubs can be formed for at least the next 3 years. I tried for 18 months to get a club off the ground and was flatly refused. Same for Societies. You best bet would be to join some of the other clubs, try get a few like minded individuals and start training together unofficially in your chosen discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

I've never tried setting one up but with the work keeping one running requires I wouldn't like to try :P With a lot of hard work it could be done by a first year but the ban won't let you anyway I'm afraid...

The Judo club was disbanded... probably about a year ago now. As far as I know they planned on restarting it almost immediately (without the problem that got them disbanded in the first place naturally) but got caught by the three year ban. That was put in place because funding for the grants is ridiculously tight already...

As the others said the mat sports are probably best for you. MMA are very grappling focused in UCD. If you want to try something new I'm going to shamelessly promote UCD TKD. Great club, great people and a great social life to go with ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LetsThinkBIG

3 year ban... could i get it restarted if i didnt draw down funds .. and if i pointed out that it was previously active ? and say that perhaps dcu were getting a lot better ? :L

as far as mma tkd etc go.. judo a better martial art to have as a base .. ive heard countless aikido, jiujitsu etc etc tellin me to stick with the judo ..
    Butt not to put down tkd etc etc ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

3 year ban... could i get it restarted if i didnt draw down funds .. and if i pointed out that it was previously active ? and say that perhaps dcu were getting a lot better ?

We tried every route. Feel free to PM me your number and I'll chat with you about it. I would honestly urge you not to bother. UCD have no interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Speaking of martial arts..

What's the story with MMA and kickboxing clubs?
    I train with a Kickboxing club in Galway and I'm not ready to give it all up next year, I plan on joining a gym in Dublin if its not run in the University, but MMA would be grand, is that still running?

Advertisement