Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Media] Management firm investigated over power cuts

Options
  • 18-04-2011 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭

Saw this yesterday in the paper, seems some management companies are under pressure because of free-loaders.

http://www.thepost.ie/news/ireland/management-firm-investigated-over-power-cuts-55794.html
    The Commission for Energy Regulation is to investigate the issue of management companies cutting off electricity to apartment tenants where a landlord has not paid management fees.

Last week, Galway Property Management cut off the electricity supply of tenants in Kilmainham Square, Dublin, where the owners of the apartments allegedly owed management fees.

The tenants received a letter dated last Tuesday, saying that ESB services would be ‘‘withdrawn by the management company’’ the following day. The letter, signed by Galway Property Management managing director Joe Gaffney, added: ‘‘I suggest that you contact either your landlord or letting agent as soon as possible, as we have already advised the landlord/letting agent of the situation."

Gaffney told The Sunday Business Post that his company acted for the Chocolate Factory Property Management Company Ltd, the management company of Kilmainham Square. He said the electricity supplies travelled to apartments through ducts belonging to the management company, and apartment owners were not entitled to use management company property if they did not pay management fees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

I can see his logic but cant see how this will work. don't all individual apartments have their own MPRN number and individual accounts? So the MC counclt contact teh ESB or Airtricity and close the accounts etc. Also i would think there's an obligation in the head lease to allow for services such as electricity, water, drainaige, gas etc to traverse MC peoperty without restriction. ok he may argue that by not paying the owners broke the lease first and as such the MC has no obligation to uphold their side of it but would the MCs actions not be the same as a landlord cutting the power off to evict a tenant?

I dont see this ending well for the MC at all if it ends up in court, though it may have the effect of getting those owners to come forward to open the lines of communicatiosn at the very least.

Advertisement