Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Hard Drive Help!

• 18-04-2011 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hey All,
    My mam has 3000+ photos and 200 short video clips saved on her laptop. Her laptop is very slow now and she was recommended to get an external hard drive. So I've been looking them up, but having never bought/needed one before I'm inundated with the choice! Can anyone give me some advice please?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

There's probably not much to choose from between them all, technically. However:

Don't rely on it to work forever, they do fail
    Don't drop it
    'Safely remove' the device, don't just pull out the wire
    Consider an alternative backup solution, e.g. an online one like Dropbox. If you just move the photos/vids to an external drive, they aren't backed up, they're just moved

If slowness is the issue, check some other threads here, and:
    delete temp files
    clear browser cache
    empty recycle bin
    defrag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Don't rely on it to work forever, they do fail
    Don't drop it
    'Safely remove' the device, don't just pull out the wire
    Consider an alternative backup solution, e.g. an online one like Dropbox. If you just move the photos/vids to an external drive, they aren't backed up, they're just moved
    Oh lucky you said that!! So basically adding an external drive just gives more space and it's just as necessary to back up. Though I doubt my mam will use an online solution. Maybe discs.
    [/QUOTE] If slowness is the issue, check some other threads here, and:
    delete temp files
    clear browser cache
    empty recycle bin
    defrag[/QUOTE]
    I will do this aswell, thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just bought the one on special offer in lidl this week. Works perfectly. :)

irish1967 wrote: »
    Just bought the one on special offer in lidl this week. Works perfectly. :)

Oh did you? Would you mind telling me how much you paid for it?

It's ok, I found it on the lidi site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Get a 2.5" USB portable hard-drive.

For example:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-500GB-Expansion-Portable-Drive/dp/B001XM4P1O/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1303166409&sr=1-1

The reason I recommend 2.5" portable (over 3.5" desktop) in this case is that they are more robust and reliable. Failure due to rough handling or dropping is probably the biggest problem people who arent computer literate have with external drives.

They are more expensive per GB, but from the sounds of it your mother doesn't need a lot of space anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 L37fc

You could try online storage there is alot of online company's offering free space like ADrive & Hotmail ( 50gb & 25gb ).

Get a 2.5" USB portable hard-drive.

For example:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-500GB-Expansion-Portable-Drive/dp/B001XM4P1O/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1303166409&sr=1-1

The reason I recommend 2.5" portable (over 3.5" desktop) in this case is that they are more robust and reliable. Failure due to rough handling or dropping is probably the biggest problem people who arent computer literate have with external drives.

They are more expensive per GB, but from the sounds of it your mother doesn't need a lot of space anyway.

That's great, thanks for that.

Advertisement