Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute from Clontarf/Castleknock to Drogheda

Options
  • 18-04-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi all

Would really appreciate some advice with this one
    I'm going to be starting a new job in Drogheda soon. I'm going to be living in either Castleknock or Clontart for various personal reasons. To some extent, where I live will be decided by how tough the commute would be every day

I'm not from Dublin and various friends from there have been giving different advice
    One person says to go from Clontarf to Drogheda you have to go through the port tunnel? Another says that's rubbish and you can cut through some way straight to the M1 without paying a toll.

Another friend said Castleknock would be easier and you have to pay the M50 toll whereas somebody else said that's not true!

Would really appreciate any advice/experience regarding this commute eg how long it might take (have to start work around 8) and how much yolks are etc

Apologies if this all seems very easy!!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Train from Clontarf?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

By yolks I mean tolls!!! :)

Thanks spurious but I should have said train not really an option as I'll need my car at work

By yolks I mean tolls!!! :)

Thanks spurious but I should have said train not really an option as I'll need my car at work

Also I just saw I left out the "e" on "Commute" the shame!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

chocfan wrote: »
    Also I just saw I left out the "e" on "Commute" the shame!!! :)

I've fixed that :)

Castleknock would probably be a better fit for Drogheda, imo, close to the M50 anyway, and M50 -> M1 isn't too bad at all (I live in Finglas and work in Swords, and do M50/M1 every day.)

You wouldn't have to pay the toll on the M50, as the toll plaza is South from the Castleknock on-ramp, and you'd be going North towards the M1.

Once you get on the M1 at the airport, it's about a 20 minute drive to Drogheda, depending on the time of day, but the traffic is always heavier coming towards Dublin in the mornings, than going away from Dublin, same in the evenings, heavier out of Dublin than into. All in all you are probably looking at a 40 minute journey, tops, each way.

From Clontarf it's a different story, you'd be having to use either the Howth Road or the Malahide Road to get to the N32 and onto the M1 from there, and the traffic around Clontarf. Artane and Coolock can be a nightmare in the mornings and evenings.

If I had your choice, I'd go with Castleknock, and I actually grew up in the Coolock/Artane area which is beside Clontarf, so would probably be biased toward that part of the city.

There wouldn't be much difference between them as places to live, imo, both have a bit of a "leafy suburb" reputation, Clontarf is closer to the sea if that would make any difference to you, but then Castleknock has the Phoenix Park on it's doorstep as a great amenity. It also has The Hole In The Wall pub, which is nice.:)

Hi Des

Thanks so much for that
    It's really a huge help. You sound like you know Dublin well which is exactly what I need!
    Much appreciated!

• Advertisement
Advertisement