Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB in Kilmihil

Options
  • 18-04-2011 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

hi,

eircom installed DSL in my exchange last August... after about 8 years of me asking !!

they could only offer me 2.55Mb/s
    so they would only give me 30GB per month!

so i moved to Vodafone who let me choose how much data i want.. much better

so - a while ago eircom called me to see if i wanted to go back to them !! i said give me NGB and we'll talk.. they checked and said that my exchange was planned for November 2011...

i am HIGHLY skeptical of that !!! and i don't see any mention of it on the eircom web site map..

i wonder if anyone has any data on NGB plans that aren't advertised??

i'm actually just about ok on the speed i have currently, but its one of those 'would be nice' things .... 8Mb would be better !

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

sibergoth wrote: »
    hi,

eircom installed DSL in my exchange last August... after about 8 years of me asking !!

so - a while ago eircom called me to see if i wanted to go back to them !! i said give me NGB and we'll talk.. they checked and said that my exchange was planned for November 2011...

i am HIGHLY skeptical of that !!! and i don't see any mention of it on the eircom web site map..

i'm actually just about ok on the speed i have currently, but its one of those 'would be nice' things .... 8Mb would be better !

Hi sibergoth,

Can you PM me with your full address and I can look into that for you.

Thanks, Mark

hi,

Hi sibergoth,

Thanks for sending on your details, I checked with our NGB rollout team and there is no indication date as yet for the Kilmihil exchange in Clare to be enabled.

I apologise for the misinformation given by the agent.

However if you have any queries in the futuere feel free to contact us directly.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Hi sibergoth,

Can you PM me with your full address and I can look into that for you.

Thanks, Mark

I know this is an old thread, but I was going to ask the same question about the kilmihil exchange. I just wanted to re-emphasise to the eircom chap that there is most definitely a market here and a date for upgrade - even if it's a year away would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

eircom rang me a couple of days ago begging that i come back to them.. they do this every three months or so... i said the same old story, Vodafone do a better deal for me.. you can't offer me unlimited data on the package i can get..

she said - oh, we can do that on NGB... i said, I CAN'T GET NGB HERE!!!!

I was told that eircom plan to upgrade EVERY exchange in Ireland by the end of next year... I guess this means that by 2013 Kilmihil might get NGB...

*sigh*

anyway, didn't know anyone else in Kilmihil knew what a computer was :)
    how's it going??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I was told that eircom plan to upgrade EVERY exchange in Ireland by the end of next year... I guess this means that by 2013 Kilmihil might get NGB...
    You were told this by a salesperson. :D

Eircom has 1200 exchanges or so. They plan to NG(some new tech) around 250 of the 1200. It has taken them 2 years to get to 200...do you reckon they can get 1000 done in a year ???

The last large program was when they said they would put basic DSL in 330 exchanges in April 2007. They still haven't finished that program and won't say when or why almost 5 years later.

• Advertisement

yeah, i guess the sarcasm didn't come across :)

I already have faster access via my iPhone here as this is a NBS area.. 6Mb down and up to 4Mb up sometimes on three.ie

still, I would say that if there was any justice in the world (!) then the rural areas would go NGB first, since towns and cities already have many other fast net options.....

yeah, i guess the sarcasm didn't come across :)

I already have faster access via my iPhone here as this is a NBS area.. 6Mb down and up to 4Mb up sometimes on three.ie

still, I would say that if there was any justice in the world (!) then the rural areas would go NGB first, since towns and cities already have many other fast net options.....

I was with nbs on three for a while and although the speeds were good at times, it was just too unpredictable. Moved over to Vodafone landline broadband and getting a (very) consistant 2.55 with a low ping. As for my iPhone I sometimes get 3 and a bit but never as much as 4 down, never mind up. I use that data for Internet radio especially when I'm getting close to my 40gb limit on Vodafone. I'd never survive on eircom caps.

that is extremely interesting..

i also get a solid 2.55Mbps on Vodafone.. they told me my line can't support more.. even though i am only one mile from the exchange !

i've had the DSL for about 18 months now and it's always 2.55Mbps down and 0.3Mbps up, 24/7

the story was that NGB would give better speeds... i asked - well, if my line can only cope with 2.55Mbps now, how is NGB going to give me higher speed ?? will the copper be upgraded?? They said that NGB will still give higher speeds over the same copper...

I'm skeptical...

anyway, the 40GB limit was a joke for me too, so what i did was add on 30GB chunks for €3.99 each every month.. it was costing me about €20 a month extra every month.. a few weeks ago Vodafone rang me out of the blue and offered me a preferential deal. 300GB allowance for only €4 more than the base package ! so now i pay €49 a month and get 300GB..

happy out. dunno if this will help you?
    are you in the village or out in the sticks??

i find it strangely coincidental that we both get exactly 2.55Mbps !!!

1648156670.png

that is extremely interesting..

i also get a solid 2.55Mbps on Vodafone.. they told me my line can't support more.. even though i am only one mile from the exchange !

i've had the DSL for about 18 months now and it's always 2.55Mbps down and 0.3Mbps up, 24/7

the story was that NGB would give better speeds... i asked - well, if my line can only cope with 2.55Mbps now, how is NGB going to give me higher speed ?? will the copper be upgraded?? They said that NGB will still give higher speeds over the same copper...

I'm skeptical...

anyway, the 40GB limit was a joke for me too, so what i did was add on 30GB chunks for €3.99 each every month.. it was costing me about €20 a month extra every month.. a few weeks ago Vodafone rang me out of the blue and offered me a preferential deal. 300GB allowance for only €4 more than the base package ! so now i pay €49 a month and get 300GB..

happy out. dunno if this will help you?
    are you in the village or out in the sticks??

i find it strangely coincidental that we both get exactly 2.55Mbps !!!

You know I hate to say this but I reckon they're right. The copper wire that we get coming into our houses should be able to take 8Mbps + if the exchange is upgraded and youre not too far from it. As for me I live within 1/2 mile of the exchange. Just doing the waiting game now.

• Advertisement

There will be no any generation anything upgrades in Kilmihil! :(

No fibre , LOOK!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

ads20101 wrote: »
    You know I hate to say this but I reckon they're right. The copper wire that we get coming into our houses should be able to take 8Mbps + if the exchange is upgraded and youre not too far from it. As for me I live within 1/2 mile of the exchange. Just doing the waiting game now.

Speeds are dependent on line quality, length etc.
    NGB 'upgrade' won't (nor could it) make any difference.

Also Eircom don't impose any caps on the standard ADSL.
    Vodafone however impose a €1 per GB charge for going over your allowance.

adsl20101 what are your line stats?
    How do you know you live within a 1/2 mile?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There will be no any generation anything upgrades in Kilmihil! :(

No fibre , LOOK!

looks a bit worrying. :(

Speeds are dependent on line quality, length etc.
    NGB 'upgrade' won't (nor could it) make any difference.

Granted - I wouldn't despute that, only that I reckon that our connections shouldn't be that bad and an improvement in speed should be poss once the exchange is upgraded.

As for knowing that I am 1/2 mile from the exchange - well, thats simple enough, I know where the exchange is (unless you know something I don't)

As for being charged for going over cap. Are you sure that eircom don't charge? - I thought that was for only certain pakages. As for voda - I can see quite clearly whenI am getting close to the 40gb cap - and they can add 30gb for €4. I'm all for a bit of competition so I'd go back to eircom if they give me a better deal.

I will pop up a speed test later. I am using a fair bit of bandwidth at the mo.

On a +ve note it does appear that there is a bit of interest in the village so we really should keep up the pressure on eircom. It's nice to know I'm not alone.;)

adsl20101 what are your line stats?

1651051120.png

52574372.png

Granted - I wouldn't despute that, only that I reckon that our connections shouldn't be that bad and an improvement in speed should be poss once the exchange is upgraded.

As for knowing that I am 1/2 mile from the exchange - well, thats simple enough, I know where the exchange is (unless you know something I don't)

As for being charged for going over cap. Are you sure that eircom don't charge? - I thought that was for only certain pakages.

At 1/2 a mile you certainly should get a speed boost from ADSL2+ which is what NGB is. However the chances of getting ADSL2+, a 2005 standard, is minimal in Kilmihil. There are around 400-500 larger exchanges, all with fibre, ahead of yiz in the queue with no ADSL2+ either.

eircom does not enforce caps on the old ADSL packages but it DOES on NGB. The ones who get caught are mainly the ones on the old 1Mb packages with a 10Gb allowance under NGB ....those on the old 3 and 7.6Mb packages get an allowance of 250Gb once the NGB upgrade goes through and won't get hit unless they are mega hogs.

So be careful what you wish for from eircom now y'áll. :D

still no upgrade here in Kilmihil :(

anyone have any hints or tips or knowledge????

I pm'd the reps a couple of weeks ago.

No news on our exchange yet.  Even though they said that there would be news by early 2013. 

I suppose that we just live in hope.

Hi Guys,

We received an updated (provisional) NGB roll-out list over the last week, I checked for any updates regarding the Kilmihil exchange. I am afraid there is still no indication we can give as to if or when the exchange may be NGB enabled.

Sorry it was not better news.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark,

What are our options?

Can you direct us to a person or a department that we can pressure and show there is an active market in this village?

• Advertisement

Thanks Mark,

What are our options?

Can you direct us to a person or a department that we can pressure and show there is an active market in this village?

Hi ads20101,

The broadband networks (roll-out) team are working on trying to enable as many exchanges for Next Generation Broadband as possible.

However there is a number of factors involved in upgrading an exchange from bitstream to NGB (one of which is consumer interest).

I am afraid there is no process to escalate or expedite a request for an exchange to be upgraded to NGB.

I appreciate it is frustrating, however we can only advise customers in your situation that the NGB roll-out is ongoing nationwide and new exchanges are continually planned for migration to the Next Generation Network.

As advised, I can't given any time-frame as to when that may be the case as yet.

Thanks, Mark

i spoke to an eircom engineer the other day who said that Kilrush is going to be Fibre enable in the next three weeks and that Kilmihil MAY get a spur off that line as the distance is only 8 miles or so.   

So its POSSIBLE that we may get Fibre instead of NGB!

I pm'd the reps a couple of weeks ago.

No news on our exchange yet.  Even though they said that there would be news by early 2013. 

I suppose that we just live in hope.

hope is somewhere else :)

http://goo.gl/maps/O6FVd

i spoke to an eircom engineer the other day who said that Kilrush is going to be Fibre enable in the next three weeks and that Kilmihil MAY get a spur off that line as the distance is only 8 miles or so.   

So its POSSIBLE that we may get Fibre instead of NGB!

Looking at the fibre map it appears that there will be spur to cooraclare but nothing to kilmihil.

Damn - tantalisingly close

Looking at the fibre map it appears that there will be spur to cooraclare but nothing to kilmihil.

Damn - tantalisingly close

ah yes, the huge thriving metropolis of Cooraclare definitely deserves fibre before us !!

update.........

Vodafone called me today to tell me that although my phone line is now capable of 11 or 12 Mbps the exchange at Kilmihil is only enabled for 3Mbps.

I have asked in the village and heard that people are on 8Mbps.  ?!?!

eircom - can you please confirm the current exchange speed capability at the Kilmihil, Co. Clare exchange ???

many thanks !

update.........

Vodafone called me today to tell me that although my phone line is now capable of 11 or 12 Mbps the exchange at Kilmihil is only enabled for 3Mbps.

I have asked in the village and heard that people are on 8Mbps.  ?!?!

eircom - can you please confirm the current exchange speed capability at the Kilmihil, Co. Clare exchange ???

many thanks !

Hi sibergoth,

I confirmed with our broadband networks team that the KILMIHIL (KMLA) exchange has a maximum capacity of 3MB.

I checked the latest NGB roll out list and there is still no indication as to when the exchange may be NGB enabled.

Thanks, Mark

I needed to download quickly and again my ADSL was going no faster than 2.55 DL and 0.3 UL so I thought I'd teather my iphone and I got the following:
    2635878355.png

This was at midday,  so not even a middle of the night result!!

I understand that my downloads are limited to 15GB this way but crikey eircom this is a mobile provider.  Don't you feel just a tad embarrassed with your lack of progress here.

I don't want to alienate you at eircom but please see if you can prioritise the Kilmihil exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi ads20101

I understand that this situation is not ideal and can be very disappointingfor you however as we have advised previously there are no plans in place for the kilmihil exchange and there are is no process or procedure to expedite or escalate a request for an exchange to be upgraded to NGB.

Regards

Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Hi sibergoth,

I confirmed with our broadband networks team that the KILMIHIL (KMLA) exchange has a maximum capacity of 3MB.

I checked the latest NGB roll out list and there is still no indication as to when the exchange may be NGB enabled.

Thanks, Mark
    Hi Mark,

Would you happen to have a link to this latest NGB roll out list please?

Advertisement