Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB in Kilmihil

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

what exactly has the middle of Co. Clare done to piss eircom off ???

eircomBS.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

ads20101 wrote: »
    Hi Reps, just following up with my last post.

Have you been able to escalate the issues specified in this thread to your line management.  If so did you get a response?  
    Hi ads20101

I'm afraid the information contained in Tonys latest reply dated 2nd of March still stands. We have no information on any work to this exchange. Tony has asked to be advised of any future plans however works to the exchange are not currently scheduled and we are unlikely to have any further update until later in year.

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Have you been able to escalate the issues specified in this thread to your line management.  If so did you get a response?  
    Hi ads20101

I'm afraid the information contained in Tonys latest reply dated 2nd of March still stands. We have no information on any work to this exchange. Tony has asked to be advised of any future plans however works to the exchange are not currently scheduled and we are unlikely to have any further update until later in year.

Cheers
    Al
    Thanks Al - I am aware that there has been no further update.

I actually, honestly, believe that you or one of your colleagues would be more than happy to come onto this thread and tell us that our broadband nightmare is over.  However what I am really looking for is a element of hope.  The fact that what myself, Sibergoth and others have been doing on this thread has not been in vain,  that you guys in the eircom reps office have reported this thread upline and that your line managers are aware of this awful (and rapidly worsening) eircom experience.

Can you please assure me of that.

Hi ads20101

Cheers
    Al

I actually, honestly, believe that you or one of your colleagues would be more than happy to come onto this thread and tell us that our broadband nightmare is over.  However what I am really looking for is a element of hope.  The fact that what myself, Sibergoth and others have been doing on this thread has not been in vain,  that you guys in the eircom reps office have reported this thread upline and that your line managers are aware of this awful (and rapidly worsening) eircom experience.

I can indeed assure you of that ads20101 - the thread inc your feedback has indeed been escalated to management & operations alike however we are unfortunately able to offer you the element of hope you require. I really do hope that one day I can offer you good news but as previously mentioned we are unlikely to have any further update until later this year. I'm genuinely sorry the news isn't better Ads,

Al

Hi ads20101

Cheers
    Al

I can indeed assure you of that ads20101 - the thread inc your feedback has indeed been escalated to management & operations alike however we are unfortunately able to offer you the element of hope you require. I really do hope that one day I can offer you good news but as previously mentioned we are unlikely to have any further update until later this year. I'm genuinely sorry the news isn't better Ads,

Al
    Thanks Al - I live in perpetual hope

• Advertisement

Hi ads20101

Cheers
    Al

Al
    Thanks Al - I live in perpetual hope
    No worries ads20101

I do also hope that I can offer you some good news too,

Cheers
    Al

by 2017 we'll be on a map... by 2020 we should be connected up to a 30Mbps connection.......  while the rest of the world enjoys gigabit fibre...

Yes, that worries me a tad too.

Essentially the NBP looks that areas that can not be commercially covered by the end of 2016.

So I suppose you are right sibergoth.  If they wait until then we could have a situation in where we have no improvement for a few more years.  However I do think that 2020 is a bit pessimistic.  That gives me the chills just thinking about it.

The reason that we have been left out with other (far less populated) areas have / will be(en) connected is surely down to an infrastructural issue.  Very simply that we do not have wired data connection to our exchange, that all of our data is pushed through an antiquated microwave link.

The population may warrant it but eircom just don't want to sustain the cost of properly connecting our exchange, and in some ways (don't kill me for saying this) on a purely commercial decision who can blame them. 

To extend my argument, and to be more controversial, we may have been disadvantaged by the national broadband plan.  As we have a population that far exceeds cooraclare, cree, mullagh that are all near us and on the fibre plan, why should eircom put in the money when there is a plan that says that it will do it for them after 2016.  

I know I am being overly simplistic, but I would argue that eircom would have indeed put us on some kind of upgrade plan if they had no commercial alternative, but they do.  They can let the government continue with their plan and then eircom can still reap the rewards from 2017-18 onwards.

However, to add a bit of complexity into the mix, I feel that eircom hasn't taken everything into account.  There are obviously still loads of people connected to the kilmihil ADSL exchange, but I feel that this could change in the short term.  There was once no alternatives but now there are some.

Both vodafone and (imminently) three  have 4G networks now in the village.  When this becomes more comprehensive I feel that more people will see this as an option.

Wireless is also an option. For example Keatings in the village (a large company by anyones standards) connect via BB net as Eircom is not good enough (this in itself is a bit of a disgrace - but eircom not providing infrastructure for national businesses is a whole different issue).  This and other wireless providers will cover some of the gap.

Yes, I am aware of the latency and data cap issues that these 2 other alternatives have.  But at least they work.  Eircom data doesn't even work at peak times.  My d/l speeds are now in single figures (kb/s) at the congested peak times.  Eircom just doesn't really work any more.

I feel that a pivot is about to occur.  At the moment I would say that most people do not use the kind of data I use, but I feel that it is now having a genuine impact on the average person.  Conservatively I would say that there are around 80 - 100 households connected to the data exchange paying on average €50/ month.  Thats €5000 per month from this village alone (thats outside of the majority just using their lines for normal phone lines).  Yes, I know that other ISP's will be getting a share of this but remember eircom is getting 100% of the line rental.

This has to financially hurt if people start to leave.  It is then, and only then eircom will sit up and take notice.

Afterall they are a commercial business.  They need to make profits for their shareholders.  They don't have to care about providing a reliable internet stream to you and me.

It's just about money to eircom.  Only money will do the talking.

well said Andy. 

Honestly I have given up on this and eventually I will simply have no choice but to leave the area.

I've lived here for 16 years or so and will probably never be able to sell my house, but I have no choice but to migrate to somewhere that does have good internet. (and that probably won't be in Ireland) 

My work depends on it too much.  My current system of workarounds is both expensive and undependable...

so I'll not only be cancelling my ADSL service, but my entire contribution to the Irish economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Paddysniper

Do these phone companies and their reps realise that this so called Broadband is actually a rip off and unusable at peak times?

• Advertisement

yes. and they don't really care... 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭swoofer

does your local TD know how bad the situtaion is?  or your local councillor?  or the minister for Communications?   In situations like these you escalate and cause as much embarassment as possible,  then you usually get some action.  If there is a 16mb link at present push for that to be changed to fibre or else press eircom give everyone there money back for a non existent BB service ie only 2 households should pay.  By the way you have a valid case in relation to that 16mb link,  its fraud as eircom are saying on ther site up to etc but its physically impossible to get what they say.

Write to the ESB ftth PEOPLE and ask them to make Kilmihill a test area.

Finally forget about eircon, why would they do anything when they are coining it from a s**te service.

Yes, I know that it is a general deterioration due to congestion but I have gone ahead and logged another complaint.  I have next to no service after 8pm ish!!!

I'd say that it'll be shut down rather quickly

Btw.... Did anyone else get a text saying that the exchange has a fault and that they are in the process of resolving it last Wednesday eve???!

yeah i got that text, not sure why as there didn't seem to be an error at the time!?
    weird.

interesting to note that i can *sometimes* get 4G on my three iPhone now, but only in one part of the house (and oddly, not outside) and the signal is pretty weak. 
    but i did note that the three 4G coverage map now shows our area as having some 'outdoor only' coverage...

looking forward to this expanding... that would make a huge difference to me!

Well I added the text bit to the complaint / fault request that I sent in.

Yes,  I have linked onto threes 4g too, but only in one of my bedrooms.  It looks like the kilmihil mast hasn't been updated, but the Cree & cooraclare ones have (sounds vaguely familiar...)

However I am kind of hopeful that we will go full 4g before June.

If there are any mods thinking that I have gone off thread. I would just like to say in my defence that the use of 4g is part of this issue as the eircom run ADSL is not working in this area especially at peak times.  As such I wish to include eircom into this issue so that they are aware of what we have to do to get data to our houses.  

When you look at the eircom fibre coverage map, with plans over the next year or so, it is utterly unfathomable why there is such a gap in the middle of Co. Clare. (including us)

Look at the rest of the country and pretty much everywhere else will be covered ... 

what did we do to offend ??

funny thing happened today.

two large eircom trucks came up my road.  One was a cable layer with a drilling arm, the other had an overhead cherry picker thing.
    clearly some cable work going on... 

the larger truck seemed to get stuck in my neighbours garden and utterly ruined the grass... but that's another story.

the point is - what is going on?  cable upgrades?  fibre installation ?  (LOL!)

anyone know anything ??? 

eircom fibre map seems to be rather odd at the moment... 

an awful lot of green there ?!!

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

sibergoth wrote: »

two large eircom trucks came up my road.  One was a cable layer with a drilling arm, the other had an overhead cherry picker thing.
    clearly some cable work going on... 

It may not be fibre, but it maybe that the microwave link is being replaced.

If this is the case then it will allow the exchange to use its full adsl 2 capacity.

Essentially we will have been upgraded to ngb.

I know, it seems like a pipe dream after all this time but I would welcome any improvement.

Equally, it could also be (and unfortunately more likely) eircom are just doing a bit of line repair.

Did you ask them? Or see what the cable was?

Reps: it appears that my hopes are being raised once again. Would you mind looking into what these eircom workers were / are doing. Let us know even if it is just run of the mill repairs.

i was on a conference call while it was happening so couldn't ask..

however, i heard some gossip in the petrol station yesterday that someone knew that the village was getting faster internet 'very soon'

no details - but Michael said he'd let me know if he heard anything more...  !

• Advertisement

Crickey- sounds promising

Reps: can any of you comment on the rumours coming out of Kilmihil over the last few days. Even if it's bad news please let us know.

Hi reps: are you able to say if there is any improvements in the pipeline as per the rumours in the village. 

Hi reps: are you able to say if there is any improvements in the pipeline as per the rumours in the village. 
    Hi ads20101

While network maintenance is continuously ongoing we will be unable to detail such works beyond attempting to offer indications of when a possible NGB and Fibre upgrades may take place.

I have double checked with operations and our networks teams who have both advised that there are no plans to upgrade this exchange in the foreseeable future. Ultimately there are no indications of plans to suggest an NGB upgrade.

Thanks
    Al

can you please ask them WHY there are no plans to update our service ?  

this is some kind of horrible joke... conspiracy... torture.. punishment??

clareFibreMap.png

according to this:

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

i'm just 2km away from the cooraclare fibre exchange limit... seriously, is this someones idea of a fking joke?
    if so i am not amused...

Hi sibergoth

I’m afraid I will be unable to offer you reasoning behind Eircom infrastructural & network developmental decisions. I can assure you there is no intent to offend or purposely create disappointment in consideration of the network developments in close bye areas.

Thanks
    Al

Checked with Vodafone too. They have no plans to get involved in the area.

They have equally said that eircom have no plans either.

Reps - I'm not asking for much but just a smidge more bandwidth just to stop it from dying during the congestion period would be helpful during the interim.

I am regularly getting around 0.3 mb/s from 19:30 to 23:30.

It's stuggling to even supply fb to the house.

1.07Mbps
    Average

0.19Mbps Min

2.59Mbps Max

getting steadily worse,   may as well cancel the ADSL at this stage... 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Checked with Vodafone too. They have no plans to get involved in the area.

They have equally said that eircom have no plans either.

Reps - I'm not asking for much but just a smidge more bandwidth just to stop it from dying during the congestion period would be helpful during the interim.

I am regularly getting around 0.3 mb/s from 19:30 to 23:30.

It's stuggling to even supply fb to the house.
    A smidge and a tonne are practically the same. A radio no longer cuts it so they have to run fibre backhaul(NGA, NGB) to the exchange. Once thats done everyone can max out their lines at the same time no problems. Until then you're f'cked.

You're competing with a hundred or so other small rural exchanges in the same boat, could be a long wait.

Advertisement