Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB in Kilmihil

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Please see the attached file from my samknows data.  The data explicitly illustrates that my broadband nearly comes to a complete stop during the congestion period and reverts back to normal in the early hours of the morning.

Please see the attached file from my samknows data.  The data explicitly illustrates that my broadband nearly comes to a complete stop during the congestion period and reverts back to normal in the early hours of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

look at the map i posted. there's a BIG FCKING HOLE in the middle of Co. Clare.  WHY ???

i give up, i'm looking to leave the village ASAP... 

I have spoken to others in the village and the feedback I am getting is that most users are not getting their data from the ADSL line, but instead are finding midband services more reliable (mostly three, but meteor and vodafone as well).  On top of this the largest business in the area (Keatings) and my childs school are now using BBnet wireless broadband.

My point is that from my cursory bit of research I feel that a lot of people have moved away from the eircom exchange already.  I discussed this with a telecom engineer from outside the area and his opinion is interesting as he feels that the exchange itself could be suffering from congestion at peak times.

Reps, as you know there is only 16 mb/s arriving at your exchange via a microwave link.  Would you mind asking your technical office if there is any truth what so ever to this statement.  Could you assure us in the village that there is at least a consistent 16 mb/s arriving at the ADSL exchange at all times including at peak hours.  

16Mbps spread across approx. 650 people is pathetic.

when i first signed up to ADSL here I think i was the only user on the exchange for a long time, I got a consistent 2.5Mbps day and night, all the time, back then that was still slow, but just about acceptable... 

what has happened is that more and more subscribers have signed up, while the load of general internet use has also gone up, basically meaning that our 16Mb is spread across more people who all need more bandwidth...  a two fold increase basically.... resulting in utterly useless ADSL.

I can't get the fixed wireless here.  I rely on the Vodafone 4G box to be able to work.  so that's another 30 euro a month i shell out, just to be able to work.

i've lived here for 16 years now, but i just can't stand it anymore... i can't continue to work under these circumstances... i have no choice but to leave.

... of course no one will buy my house, so no idea how that's going to work......

• Advertisement

ads20101 wrote: »
    Could you assure us in the village that there is at least a consistent 16 mb/s arriving at the ADSL exchange at all times including at peak hours.  
    Hi Reps - Just checking if your tech services have managed to look into my query yet?

Could you assure us in the village that there is at least a consistent 16 mb/s arriving at the ADSL exchange at all times including at peak hours.  
    Hi Reps - Just checking if your tech services have managed to look into my query yet?
    Hi Reps - Just another quick bump on this.

I know that exchange data rates are not the easiest for technical services to monitor but I would appreciate any assistance in this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

I know that exchange data rates are not the easiest for technical services to monitor but I would appreciate any assistance in this matter.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi ads20101

I understand this is a genuine concern for you & I'm very sorry we cannot offer you better news in regards to plans for your area.
    [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Unfortunately we will be unable to offer you the specifications and details you are requesting. Such information/specifications are kept at an internal operational and networks level.
    [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al
    [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]

Hi ads20101

I understand this is a genuine concern for you & I'm very sorry we cannot offer you better news in regards to plans for your area.

Unfortunately we will be unable to offer you the specifications and details you are requesting. Such information/specifications are kept at an internal operational and networks level.

Thanks
    Al

This is rather unfortunate

Al - I understand that there are no plans to upgrade the exchange but I am eager to lobby whoever I can.

Every time I try and find a way to support my cause Eircom appear to try and stop me.  

I am not a big business trying to gain corporate secrets.  I am just trying to get an internet supply that has moderately good speeds, a low ping rate, and most importantly doesn't come to a halt every night due to congestion.  

I am not sure what eircom wants me to do apart from except the advice at face value that their exchange is massively over subscribed and just expect that they don't wish to do anything about it.

My opinion is that eircom are unlikely to change until they are challenged.  This is just infuriating and I wish that I could get some assistance.

I fail to understand why finding out if a mere 16mb/s are entering the exchange even at peak times is such a secret.  This exchange to my knowledge is connected to around 650 houses.   Once again, can you please assure me that eircom's technical department are aware of this query and if they could find it in their hearts to look into this issue.

Does anyone have a time frame on this.

All I can see is that it could be up to 2020 http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.png

http://clareherald.com/2015/06/21-rural-clare-locations-to-receive-1gbs-broadband-4564/
    21 additional locations in Clare are set to have access to speeds of up to 1Gb/s ‘end to end’ fibre to the home (FTTH) technology courtesy of a major regional investment by eircom.

The homes and businesses to be served by this investment are largely ribbon style developments across rural Ireland in communities including Behagh (New Quay), Ballyvaughan, Craggagh (Fanore), Caher, Carron, Doonaha (Loop Head), Inagh, Knock, Kildysart, Kilkishen, Kilkee, Kilmaley, Kilmihil, Kineilty Cross (Liscannor), Lissycasey, Labasheeda, Ogonnelloe, Ruan, Rahy/Cross, Tiermaclane and Whitegate.

Behagh, Ballyvaughan, Craggagh, Caher, Carron, Doonaha, Inagh, Knock, Kildysart, Kilkishen, Kilkee, Kilmaley, Kilmihil, Kineilty Cross, Lissycasey, Labasheeda, Ogonnelloe, Ruan, Rahey Cross, Tiermaclane and Whitegate will benefit from this world class technology via 1,152 kilometres of fibre.

The expansion will bring to 1.9 million the number of premises with access to high speed connectivity through Eircom’s network by 2020.

Clare Deputy Pat Breen T.D. has welcomed eircom’s announcement. “Making the economic recovery a reality for people in all parts of the country, including here in Clare is a key objective for Government,” he said.

“Eircom’s announcement means the element of the National Broadband Plan that requires State intervention is likely to reduce significantly,” added Deputy Breen.

Commenting Richard Moat, CEO eircom said “No other operator in Ireland is investing as extensively in fibre broadband. This is a critical development as we build a future proofed network using a best in class technology to deliver the highest broadband speeds to many rural communities right across Ireland.”

I would normally be jumping up and down, but as you can see from this thread I've had my hopes raised and dashed many times.  I am now naturally pessimistic about anything involving Eircom in Kilmihil.

• Advertisement

Ok,

Just a quick update: I've found the original eircom press release:

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_expands_fibre_broadband_investment_in_clare/

Nearly everything is a carbon copy except:
    This expanded footprint means eircom will invest €400m in fibre over the next five years.

eeek!

surely Eircom are able to round this down a little.

Even if we are at the of the 5 year plan it would be nice to know.

Also, on the discussion bit of that Clare Herald article there was a point made that this was outside of Eircoms efibre rollout as this is a different package.

Al et al - can you clarify these points please

very interesting, especially as the speed quoted is 1GBp/s, rather than the government pathetic 30Mbps...   but I fear this will come far too late (by 2020).. what do we do in the interim ??? 

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Best little country to do business..

well to cover bondholder losses at least

lawred2 wrote: »
    Best little country to do business..

well to cover bondholder losses at least

Hi Guys,

I really wish I could offer a better and more specific indication of when to expect the implementation of the plans announced however I am very sorry to confirm that such information is ultimately not available. In speaking with operations I have been informed that the best indication we can offer is up to 2020 and furthermore the most information we can provide on these plans will be contained in the link provided in the announcement (http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/clare/ )

I do understand that you have been anticipating more news on this for q long time now guys and I’m sorry I can’t offer you more news.

Cheers
    Al

so basically, in 2020 we'll jump from less than 1Mbps to a nice 1000Mbps ... with nothing in between!  that will be some jump...

sibergoth wrote: »
    so basically, in 2020 we'll jump from less than 1Mbps to a nice 1000Mbps ... with nothing in between!  that will be some jump...
    Hi sibergoth

Agreed, that's a massive jump - hopefully there will be improvements before 2020 but ultimately we do not time frames beyond 2020. The most information we can offer is the info found in the link provided through the statement.

Thanks
    Al

Something peculiar is happening on the Kilrush to Ennis road.

Ericom network contractors appear to be laying fibre cables.   There has been a stop / go traffic light system for the past couple of days.

I am aware that this doesn't appear to be coming in Kilmihil's direction but its within a mile or 2 of the exchange.  Equally I am aware that Kilrush (and many other villages & towns in the area) are on the e fibre roll out but there is no indication on the eircom wholesale site that there was due to be a fibre line from Ennis to Kilrush.

Hey, I know I'm grabbing at straws - but its all I have.

352546.jpg

Hi ads20101

I'm afraid I will be unable to offer you information of network and infrastructural works at such an early stage. As I mentioned above
    The most information we can offer is the info found in the link provided through the statement discussed.

Cheers
    Al

they were on the road close to Kilrush today. i don't think this holds any significance for our upgrade honestly... don't know if they are laying fibre either.. they could just be upgrading copper...

A presumption on my part perhaps...

I noticed how some of the poles had multiple cords and were being replaced by one or two thicker cords.

Yes, it could well be copper replacement but it appeared to be a rather large project, not just replacing the cords but also many of the telegraph poles themselves.  I would have presumed that while they were undertaking such a project it would be a great time to upgrade to fibre.  Additionally, 2 of the trucks were clearly those eircom fibre contractors kn.  If they were just repairing the network why not just have it an in house eircom job.  Finally, with the press statement earlier this month stating that kilmihil will be upgraded to FTTH or FTTB in the next 5 years it just made sense in my hopeful (and possibly delusional) mind.

On the negative side, you're right, I am no expert, there is no evidence that these cords are fibre.  Equally, and probably more damning, there is nothing to indicate that eircom has plans to put fibre on this route.  

That was why I tried to get some clarification from Al, but he is clearly not in position to provide such information.

Moving away from pessimism for a second, if this is fibre then I would be surprised if we did have to wait for 2020.  Let's hope that there is exciting times ahead.  Because the service at the moment is just getting worse.  I can't even stream video during the day now, never mind during peak times.  The DSL in kilmihil appears to be coming to a slow grinding halt, and eircom know that more than anyone.

• Advertisement

just looked on the 'where and when' page again.  i have been looking quite often.. but now we are actually on the map !

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]KILMIHIL[/font]
    [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]eircom's FTTH 2016-2020 rollout programme with speeds up to 1Gb/s includes premises in this exchange area.[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]unbelievable ... but as it says 2016-2020 i'm pretty sure that means nothing for a while yet... [/font]

Holy s....

This is the biggest development since you started this thread all those years ago sibergoth.

Looks like ngb, then efibre has passed us by only to get FTTH. 

And there's a plan for the first time ever!!!!

But I don't think I can wait 5 yrs.  

well, we are actually planning to move to Ennis in the next few months... I can't wait any longer (plus some other reasons) 
    so the likelihood is that as soon as i move away Kilmihil will get 1GB FTTH !!

so after god knows how many years of bad internet Kilmihil finally gets noticed and updated... but it is just too late for me.  

I wonder if the ranting we did in this thread had something to do with it ??  maybe not - because there are now a LOAD of new areas on the map to be covered by FTTH.   

I still maintain that this kind of infrastructure improvement should have happened 10 years or more ago...  The jump from basic ADSL which is now totally out dated to FTTH will be too much for most people to cope with !...  

well, we are actually planning to move to Ennis in the next few months... I can't wait any longer (plus some other reasons) 
    so the likelihood is that as soon as i move away Kilmihil will get 1GB FTTH !!

so after god knows how many years of bad internet Kilmihil finally gets noticed and updated... but it is just too late for me.  

I wonder if the ranting we did in this thread had something to do with it ??  maybe not - because there are now a LOAD of new areas on the map to be covered by FTTH.   

I still maintain that this kind of infrastructure improvement should have happened 10 years or more ago...  The jump from basic ADSL which is now totally out dated to FTTH will be too much for most people to cope with !...  
    Hi sibergoth

I genuinely do wish I could have offered you better news over the past few years but I would like to wish you the best of luck with your move.

I have always maintained to keep reports of this thread in my reports and If you feel I can help with anything in relation to getting service at your new location please do feel free to post or PM me.

Thanks
    Al

appreciate that Al and many thanks for your interest and comments on this.  I'll continue to watch for news on Kilmihil and the connectivity anyway !

rest assured that the first thing i check for when i am looking for a house is the speed of broadband available !  I plug the address into the eircom fibre web site and if it is any less than 80Mbps I reject the house !!

i wonder if you have any publishable data on when Ennis Co. Clare will get FTTH rolled out ?  is that also in the 2016-2020 plans ? or perhaps sooner ?

after being starved of bandwidth for so many years, if i can take 1Gbps I'll snap it up!  although i do note that this will be marketed as a 'premium product at a premium price' so perhaps there will be a more reasonable package at 500Mbps or something..!   

cheers
    Adam

appreciate that Al and many thanks for your interest and comments on this.  I'll continue to watch for news on Kilmihil and the connectivity anyway !

rest assured that the first thing i check for when i am looking for a house is the speed of broadband available !  I plug the address into the eircom fibre web site and if it is any less than 80Mbps I reject the house !!

i wonder if you have any publishable data on when Ennis Co. Clare will get FTTH rolled out ?  is that also in the 2016-2020 plans ? or perhaps sooner ?

after being starved of bandwidth for so many years, if i can take 1Gbps I'll snap it up!  although i do note that this will be marketed as a 'premium product at a premium price' so perhaps there will be a more reasonable package at 500Mbps or something..!   

cheers
    Adam
    Hi Sibergoth

I've recently discovered that if you follow this link - click on the map called 'NGA Fibre broadband Network' and click on "Fibre services planned" you will see on the map orange icons which will have dates of (very) approximate timeframes for FTTH

Cheers

Al

Hi Sibergoth

I've recently discovered that if you follow this link - click on the map called 'NGA Fibre broadband Network' and click on "Fibre services planned" you will see on the map orange icons which will have dates of (very) approximate timeframes for FTTH

Cheers

Al

Hi Al, I think I know the site you are talking about, but there is no hyperlink in your text. When you get a mo could you please forward the link again just in case it is something that I don't know about.

This is tragic news.

You have been a formidable force of knowledge and I genuinely wish you all the best.

Despite us bounding stuff back and forth I am cognisant that we've never actually met. If you don't mind I will pm you later this eve.

Hi Sibergoth

Cheers

Al

Hi Al, I think I know the site you are talking about, but there is no hyperlink in your text. When you get a mo could you please forward the link again just in case it is something that I don't know about.
    Apologies sibergoth

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

Al

• Advertisement

can't seem to post a private message today. 

ads20101 - did you know about this :

http://fibrerollout.ie/competition/

Advertisement