Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB in Kilmihil

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Looks intersting.

Has to be entered in 3 weeks.  I will make some enquiries to see if anyone wants to represent the parish in this endeavour.  

However, I remember your fb page. I had great hopes but the community didn't back it at the time.  

Since then the network has got a hell of a lot worse.  It's basically unusable after 6pm.  I am now just using mobile broadband for my normal needs now.  The landline exchange is really only good for social media (as long as you're not streaming video ).

It even goes down completely occasionally. I remember after the Monday festive of fun day. When it finished at 5 the internet ground to a halt then stopped for an hour.  You only need, say, an extra 10-15 people logging on to upload their pics for the exchange to basically give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

I'm moving to Ennis in 1 week.. 90Mbps where i'm going !!  and signs up in Ennis for FTTH 1000Mbps coming soon.  (i will definitely be getting that ASAP!)

but yes - it is hard to drum up interest here.. but then again i don't really know anyone.   Surely anyone who uses the ADSL service here must, by now, realise that it is horrifically slow and would welcome a better, faster service?

as you say - the ADSL is useless now. I have moved most of my current data use to 4G.  not very cheap !

can't wait for the 90Mbps !!   

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

sibergoth wrote: »
    I'm moving to Ennis in 1 week.. 90Mbps where i'm going !!  and signs up in Ennis for FTTH 1000Mbps coming soon.  (i will definitely be getting that ASAP!)

but yes - it is hard to drum up interest here.. but then again i don't really know anyone.   Surely anyone who uses the ADSL service here must, by now, realise that it is horrifically slow and would welcome a better, faster service?

as you say - the ADSL is useless now. I have moved most of my current data use to 4G.  not very cheap !

can't wait for the 90Mbps !!   
    Hi sibergoth

Feel free to drop me a PM with the address you're moving to and I'll if I can check what speeds it could support

Cheers
    Al

thanks Al, but you already did and i asked for confirmation when i called to order it.  all good.  service already in the house and an engineer is calling on the 1st to install the modem.  

just had to move 20 miles to fix years of internet woes !.. 

thanks Al, but you already did and i asked for confirmation when i called to order it.  all good.  service already in the house and an engineer is calling on the 1st to install the modem.  

just had to move 20 miles to fix years of internet woes !.. 
    Apologies sibergoth - I remember now :)

Let me know if there's anything I can assist with in future

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement

i've done it...  moved to Ennis and got Fibre...!

super happy !

4628506460.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭swoofer

great stuff,  you must have a permanent smile  these days! and to think in a few weeks you may have 1gb!!  very strange in that I got a flyer today saying 100mb has arrived in ENNIS!!  If I am not wrong this was here about 2 years ago!!  I wonder is it a misprint!!

super happy !

4628506460.png
    Delighted to see this sibergoth :)

Al

super happy !

4628506460.png
    Delighted to see this sibergoth :)

Al
    Hey, I'm not jealous at all.......

meanwhile, back in Kilmihil:

1362895510.png

that's some ping !!   you'd get better on satellite !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭swoofer

and with VF 4G.

that's some ping !!   you'd get better on satellite !!
    I agree

I took the test last night.  As you know its just isn't a functioning service after 6 ish.

Its not too bad at the mo:

4643974375.png

but nothing compared to your results in Ennis.

swoofer wrote: »
    and with VF 4G.
    Yes, swoofer - I can't rely on dsl in the evening so I augment with three in the evenings.

Extra cost, but I have just started a postgrad (MA healthcare management) so I can't do without a functioning internet service.

I know we're on the 2016-2020 plan but I'd put good money on that being far closer to 2020.

The difference the speed makes is HUGE.  I'd go as far as to say life changing...   Hard to describe, but certainly tangible. 

everything i do at work is now smoother and quicker, even if my wife is watching HD Netflix at the same time (and I'm streaming Apple Music and downloading an iOS update!) 

I no longer have to switch the phone from wifi to 3/4G for specific tasks, I no longer have to worry about downloading something overnight or plan to go to my sisters house to watch an Apple event (looking forward to the iPhone one tomorrow!) 

.. so the next big update will be FTTH!   can't wait to see that in action !

Back up to full strength this morning for the first time in months:

4662328101.png

I wonder if it was the kids being at school.  The test will really be after 6pm when I expect the speed will fall of the proverbial cliff.

Damn inconsistent.

.. maybe because i'm not using it?! :D

We have some detail on the map :):

363122.JPG

Before I start jumping up and down again it should also be said that we are still on the 2016 - 2020 plan with no specific date. However looking around us we see doonbeg and cooraclare with a date of winter 2015, and just to the north of us Mullagh with a date of Q1 2016.

I know it sounds a tad delusional after all we've been through, but am I foolhardy to believe that sometime in 2016 is not out of the question?

Al (or others) seeing as the fibre map has been updated I don't suppose if you could have another quick look to see if you have any updated info at your end.

Thanks

Hi Reps,

re: my post from the 20/9/15.

I understand that you probably haven't go back to me as there is still no update.  But as the eir fibre website has been updated with an actual plan for Kilmihil (for the first time) I am just wondering if you have any further information on the instillation timetable.

Due to the accuracy of the layout I am hoping that eir have a better idea for the exchange.

Also,  I had problems with my line (again) and an Eircom engineer came out and fixed the issue (with professionality and efficiency I would like to add!) and he told me that there was a fibre spur coming from the Ennis / Kilrush road but didn't know when it was being connected.  This was another reason that I got back in touch as surely such an infrastructural change must be on some kind of current plan.

ads20101 wrote: »
    Hi Reps,

I understand that you probably haven't go back to me as there is still no update.  But as the eir fibre website has been updated with an actual plan for Kilmihil (for the first time) I am just wondering if you have any further information on the instillation timetable.

Due to the accuracy of the layout I am hoping that eir have a better idea for the exchange.

Also,  I had problems with my line (again) and an Eircom engineer came out and fixed the issue (with professionality and efficiency I would like to add!) and he told me that there was a fibre spur coming from the Ennis / Kilrush road but didn't know when it was being connected.  This was another reason that I got back in touch as surely such an infrastructural change must be on some kind of current plan.
    Hi ads20101

There is no further information or more specifc timeframes beyond what the map advises. Ultimately works are to begin in 2016 and are expected to continue until approximately 2020. I know that's a long time to wait I'm sorry we can't offer better news.

In relation to the Fibre spur I can confirm that there are no plans to bring eFibre beyond the planned works advised on the map.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Reps,

Hi ads20101

There is no further information or more specifc timeframes beyond what the map advises. Ultimately works are to begin in 2016 and are expected to continue until approximately 2020. I know that's a long time to wait I'm sorry we can't offer better news.

In relation to the Fibre spur I can confirm that there are no plans to bring eFibre beyond the planned works advised on the map.

Thanks
    Al

Oh well,

Thanks for getting back to me Al - it appears that it is getting to be a habit that I hear snippets of good news that gets my hopes up, only for it to be rebuffed.

Anyway, there is at least a plan.

Incidentally, as you know I have been augmenting my broadband with a mobile provider (as the ADSL line goes below  0.3mb/s d/l after 6ish due to congestion).  I just wanted to show the mobile speeds I am getting at the moment:

1394271568.png

akin to my ADSL:

4719692399.png (Note: this is rather good at the moment)

• Advertisement

Oh well,

Thanks for getting back to me Al - it appears that it is getting to be a habit that I hear snippets of good news that gets my hopes up, only for it to be rebuffed.

Incidentally, as you know I have been augmenting my broadband with a mobile provider (as the ADSL line goes below  0.3mb/s d/l after 6ish due to congestion).  I just wanted to show the mobile speeds I am getting at the moment:

1394271568.png

akin to my ADSL:

Oh well,

1394271568.png

akin to my ADSL:

I'm sorry I can't offer better news ads20101

Yes it's clear your mobile provider is supplying you with a stronger signal.

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Paddysniper

Hello,
    Just curious what kind of mobile set up you have? Is it a long term solution for the brutal speeds we get in kilmihil?
    Oh well,

1394271568.png

akin to my ADSL:

Hello,
    Just curious what kind of mobile set up you have? Is it a long term solution for the brutal speeds we get in kilmihil?

Hi, my readings were from 3 on 4g. I generally use my mobile to tether in the evening as the local dsl goes down to almost nothing due to congestion.

On the mobile front I hear that Vodafone have slightly higher speeds but have awful d/l caps and are bloody expensive.

As far as broadband I know that keatings and Cahermurphy national school are using bb wireless broadband.

I know tethering isn't really allowed on three but I've been doing it for over a couple of years and they haven't penalised me yet. However if they do I will consider getting rid of my landline and signing up with bb for a year.

just looked on the 'where and when' page again.  i have been looking quite often.. but now we are actually on the map !

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]KILMIHIL[/font]
    [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]eircom's FTTH 2016-2020 rollout programme with speeds up to 1Gb/s includes premises in this exchange area.[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]unbelievable ... but as it says 2016-2020 i'm pretty sure that means nothing for a while yet... [/font]
    Hi Reps, 

Just looking for an update on your website and I note that the 2016 - 2020 plan has now become the 2017 - 2020 plan.

372334.jpg

Is this a sign of things to come?

However, being serious - is there any further update.  Those fibre contractors of yours have been spotted in the village.  Would you mind looking into this.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

just looked on the 'where and when' page again.  i have been looking quite often.. but now we are actually on the map !

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]KILMIHIL[/font]
    [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]eircom's FTTH 2016-2020 rollout programme with speeds up to 1Gb/s includes premises in this exchange area.[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]unbelievable ... but as it says 2016-2020 i'm pretty sure that means nothing for a while yet... [/font]
    Hi Reps, 

Just looking for an update on your website and I note that the 2016 - 2020 plan has now become the 2017 - 2020 plan.

372334.jpg

Is this a sign of things to come?

However, being serious - is there any further update.  Those fibre contractors of yours have been spotted in the village.  Would you mind looking into this.

Thanks
    Hi ads20101

There is no further update on this beyond what is mentioned on the site - I will be unable to furnish you with a more specific update on eirs infrastructure developments.

AL

eir: Alan wrote: »
    Hi ads20101

There is no further update on this beyond what is mentioned on the site - I will be unable to furnish you with a more specific update on eirs infrastructure developments.

AL

Thanks for getting back to me Al, however based on your answer I have a couple of follow up questions:
    1/ it was from the site that I noted that the commencement date had gone back a year. I was just enquiring why.
    2/ are you saying that as you can't comment further to what is on the eir site I shouldn't bother commenting on this thread any further ?
    I know from previous comments that you have said that you forward this thread to your management. I am just a tad infuriated that eir cannot provide broadband to Kilmihil at peak times and I just wanted to say that we're still here, hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Hi ads20101

I am more than happy to respond to this thread with as much information that I can offer however, and I think I have mentioned this on a number of occasions throughout this thread, I cannot offer you reasons 'why' delays occur - internal infrastructural details or reasoning to support an explanation for delays will not be provided.

I am fully aware that you are frustrated with the delays and the lack of information and I genuinely sorry I can't be of more assistance. I cannot offer further information on what is contained on the map although in some cases where a cabinet is due for completion I can indeed get an indication of when it should be complete.

Al

• Advertisement

Thanks Al, I'll keep hoping.

I'll pop back again in another few months to see if there is any developments unless I hear of something beforehand.

Advertisement