Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB in Kilmihil

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

ads20101 wrote: »
    Thanks Al,  I'll keep hoping.

I'll pop back again in another few months to see if there is any developments unless I hear of something beforehand.
    No problem at all ads20101

Wishing you a very happy Christmas and prosperous new year :)

AL

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

Kilrush, Cooraclare, Doonbeg are all 'due to complete' soon, but they all have been put back so many times already.. I'm sure work is ongoing, but it can't be a huge priority.  

(Or there must be tough conditions to lay the fibre cable or something) 

Still surprised that Cooraclare is still getting it and Kilmihil isn't for a long while... 

meanwhile here in Ennis i've heard a few people have the 1000Mbps installed now, but not many.   Not available on my street yet.  
    I'm still very happy with my unlimited 90Mb/20Mb but being a techy and being so starved of speed for so many years, i'm jealous of the FTTH 1000Mb!

last month i used over 1000GB (1TB!) of data :)
    I'll probably hit the 1000 this month too..    such a vast difference the speed makes.

Netflix, work stuff, Apple updates (including beta iOS stuff), game downloads, windows updates... we live in a world of constant data transfer.. i switched on a PC i hadn't used in a few weeks yesterday and it needed 810MB of windows updates !! 

having high speed internet with no data cap to worry about is a huge relief, weight off my shoulders, freedom.. whatever you want to call it.   more than simply a luxury service ... it is a necessity.

To me at least...   

I have heard people say that they 'rarely use it' or 'didn't notice any difference' when they got 100Mb... i wanted to punch those people !  what a waste of resources to give such benevolence to those that don't appreciate it !  

Kilmihil is crying out (and has been for years) for even just a reasonable service... but somehow has been overlooked for so long.   I'm sure there are a dozen or more similar towns across Ireland..  I just wish that someone would pay attention to what people want ... 

how many people in Cooraclare will genuinely benefit from high speed broadband ?   vs how many people in Kilmihil ?

... discuss ... 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Just a quick update - I decided to contact open eir for an update (As they are the group responsible for most of the telecom infrastructure)

This was the reply:
    Hi ********,

Further to your note and my subsequent follow up email, please find below the information that I have gathered in relation to the areas you have provided me with.
    In the rollout of high speed broadband, we are using two fibre based technologies: Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) and fibre to the home (FTTH).

There is a useful map located on www.fibrerollout.ie that highlights the routes we plan to follow when deploying this technology to homes and businesses. We have committed to complete the rollout of this technology to approximately 300,000 premises by the end of 2020.

For those who will not benefit from either of our deployments, then by definition their home or business will be covered by the National Broadband Plan. eir is currently is participating in the early part of the tender process and we are very keen to win the tender.

We are currently carrying out a large amount of work in Kilrush which is due to be finished in the coming months. Once this work is complete we plan to provide Fibre services to the surrounding areas including Kilmihil.

Our current estimation is that this service will be available by summer of this year. I am sorry I cannot provide a more detailed timeline but as you can imagine there are multiple steps in the process to deliver high speed broadband to any community.

Kind Regards,

Allan

The bit stating that eir may be able to improve the network this year definitely got my attention. However, looking at the link given, there appears to be no change regarding Kilmihil.

I will keep a close eye with anticipation :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Just a quick update - I decided to contact open eir for an update (As they are the group responsible for most of the telecom infrastructure)

This was the reply:
    Hi ********,

Further to your note and my subsequent follow up email, please find below the information that I have gathered in relation to the areas you have provided me with.
    In the rollout of high speed broadband, we are using two fibre based technologies:  Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) and fibre to the home (FTTH).

There is a useful map located on www.fibrerollout.ie that highlights the routes we plan to follow when deploying this technology to homes and businesses. We have committed to complete the rollout of this technology to approximately 300,000 premises by the end of 2020.

For those who will not benefit from either of our deployments, then by definition their home or business will be covered by the National Broadband Plan. eir is currently is participating in the early part of the tender process and we are very keen to win the tender.

We are currently carrying out a large amount of work in Kilrush which is due to be finished in the coming months. Once this work is complete we plan to provide Fibre services to the surrounding areas including Kilmihil.

Our current estimation is that this service will be available by summer of this year. I am sorry I cannot provide a more detailed timeline but as you can imagine there are multiple steps in the process to deliver high speed broadband to any community.

Kind Regards,

Allan

The bit stating that eir may be able to improve the network this year definitely got my attention.  However, looking at the link given, there appears to be no change regarding Kilmihil.

I will keep a close eye with anticipation :rolleyes:
    Cheers for sharing this ads20101

Al

• Advertisement

if Dr Harty gets in..... Kilmihil will get upgraded!

sibergoth wrote: »
    if Dr Harty gets in..... Kilmihil will get upgraded!
    LOL

Yes, that has crossed my mind too

Current polls show him getting a seat.

I will be loosing a GP but gaining normal broadband.  Some trade!!

Hope you've voted today ;)

apparently he got in !!  amazing :) 

i know broadband was something he was interested in - and i had made my feelings known to him plenty of times !! 

so watch this space !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭swoofer

and possibly FTTH as well!!

Alan (or any other rep available),

Following my correspondence with the open eir manager on twitter (see post #365) I was hopeful that there would be some improvement this year.  However, the exchanges to be upgraded in the next 12 months has come out and Kilmihil is no where to be found.

Would you mind having a quick look into this please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Following my correspondence with the open eir manager on twitter (see post #365) I was hopeful that there would be some improvement this year.  However, the exchanges to be upgraded in the next 12 months has come out and Kilmihil is no where to be found.

Hi ads20101

I'm afraid Al is no longer with us.
    I have checked Kilmihil and there is efire to the home planned (FTTH) for this area, here is the information for the Kilmihil area
    [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]open eir's FTTH 2017-2020 rollout programme with speeds up to 1Gb/s includes premises in this exchange area.[/font]

Pamela 

Hi ads20101

I have checked Kilmihil and there is efire to the home planned (FTTH) for this area, here is the information for the Kilmihil area
    [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]open eir's FTTH 2017-2020 rollout programme with speeds up to 1Gb/s includes premises in this exchange area.[/font]

Pamela 
    Thanks for that Pamela,

Its a shame that Al has gone, not just with putting up with my nonsense here but he really helped me out with an eircom bill when a close relative had to go into a nursing home.   It was a stressful time and Al was both sympathetic to the situation and professional.

Yes, I checked the your fibre map and that is exactly what it said.  I was just seeing if your dept had any information in the nearer term following my correspondence with the open eir manager on twitter, as he stated that he was hoping for some improvements to the Kilmihil exchange this year.  Unfortunately, the latest information on exchange upgrades does not appear to corroborate this.

As this information didn't come from here, I will wait another month or so, then I will follow up with that chap on twitter again.

Oh, one last bit.  If you do hear of any updated information over the next few months please let me know.

Thanks

Hi ads20101

Pamela 
    Thanks for that Pamela,

Its a shame that Al has gone, not just with putting up with my nonsense here but he really helped me out with an eircom bill when a close relative had to go into a nursing home.   It was a stressful time and Al was both sympathetic to the situation and professional.

Yes, I checked the your fibre map and that is exactly what it said.  I was just seeing if your dept had any information in the nearer term following my correspondence with the open eir manager on twitter, as he stated that he was hoping for some improvements to the Kilmihil exchange this year.  Unfortunately, the latest information on exchange upgrades does not appear to corroborate this.

As this information didn't come from here, I will wait another month or so, then I will follow up with that chap on twitter again.

Oh, one last bit.  If you do hear of any updated information over the next few months please let me know.

Thanks
    No problem ads20101,

Yeah its a pity, he'll be missed by many :( 

I'm afraid I don't have further information on this at the minute however if I do hear any updated information on this I will be sure to let you know. I would also recommend registering your details here https://www.eir.ie/broadband/eoi and as soon as the service is available you will be notified.

Pamela 

Hi ads20101

Pamela 
    Thanks for that Pamela,

Thanks
    No problem ads20101,

I'm afraid I don't have further information on this at the minute however if I do hear any updated information on this I will be sure to let you know. I would also recommend registering your details here https://www.eir.ie/broadband/eoi and as soon as the service is available you will be notified.

Pamela 
    Cheers Pamela,

I have now registered.

skip this and go to Michael Harty... he'll surely have some minor sway now...

Hi ads20101

Pamela 
    Thanks for that Pamela,

Thanks
    No problem ads20101,

Pamela 
    Cheers Pamela,

I have now registered.
    No problem ads20101, as soon as there is further information on this we will be in touch :)

Pamela 

skip this and go to Michael Harty... he'll surely have some minor sway now...
    Yes, you're absolutely right

I've been meaning to draft a letter for a while now (especially as rural broadband was one of his election issues)

Now that he is a TD & negotiating to form the next government (who wouldve thought he'd be involved in that!!) he may be able to help, especially as he is on the same inept exchange as myself.  I don't think that an elected TD will put up with 0.2 to 0.3Mb/s download at peak times for too long.

Hope you're keeping well in Ennis

Hi Reps,

I had one of your door to door sales reps come to my door earlier this week and there were a couple of bits that I found rather worrying.

Firstly,  the rep tried to sell me a basic broadband & talk package that was really uncompetitive.  It was essentially the same price as what I pay for my broadband, phone & HD TV package with box sets.

There are quite a few old and vulnerable people in the area that could actually fall for this.

However, the bit that really concerned me was what he said about the Kilmihil eir exchange being upgraded.  He stated that it would be really unlikely that our exchange will be upgraded this year (this contradicted the twitter DM that I got from open eir).  But what really bothered me was that he dismissed me when I said that it should be worth the wait as it will be FTTH.  He smiled and said that we would never get FTTH here, that at best we will get FTTC.  This directly contradicts what open eir have on their http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ site.  I only live 70 - 100 meters away from your exchange.

So essentially, can you look into the information that your rep has provided to me and let me know if he lacks knowledge / training or if what he is saying is actually correct.

I have attached a scan of the information that he gave me. 

typical sales bullsh1t i reckon ! they will say anything to get you to sign up for whatever they are flogging right now.

i would trust the maps myself !  

Hi Reps,

I had one of your door to door sales reps come to my door earlier this week and there were a couple of bits that I found rather worrying.

Firstly,  the rep tried to sell me a basic broadband & talk package that was really uncompetitive.  It was essentially the same price as what I pay for my broadband, phone & HD TV package with box sets.

There are quite a few old and vulnerable people in the area that could actually fall for this.

However, the bit that really concerned me was what he said about the Kilmihil eir exchange being upgraded.  He stated that it would be really unlikely that our exchange will be upgraded this year (this contradicted the twitter DM that I got from open eir).  But what really bothered me was that he dismissed me when I said that it should be worth the wait as it will be FTTH.  He smiled and said that we would never get FTTH here, that at best we will get FTTC.  This directly contradicts what open eir have on their http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ site.  I only live 70 - 100 meters away from your exchange.

So essentially, can you look into the information that your rep has provided to me and let me know if he lacks knowledge / training or if what he is saying is actually correct.

Hi ads20101,

I have looked into this and the information provided on-line here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ is correct
    FTTH is planned for this area however I'm afraid we are unable to provide an exact activation date for this service yet.

I apologise for any incorrect information you may have been given. If you would like me to send your feedback to our Feet on the street (FOTS) team, can you PM me the name of the representative that you were speaking with and we can pass that along.

- Pamela 

• Advertisement

Hi Reps,

Hi ads20101,

I have looked into this and the information provided on-line here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ is correct
    FTTH is planned for this area however I'm afraid we are unable to provide an exact activation date for this service yet.

I apologise for any incorrect information you may have been given. If you would like me to send your feedback to our Feet on the street (FOTS) team, can you PM me the name of the representative that you were speaking with and we can pass that along.

- Pamela 
    I expected that his information was incorrect, but as he is a local eir representative I couldn't rule out that he may have some up-to-date local knowledge, especially taking into account the delays in the fibre rollout.  For example, to my understanding Kilrush is just about to go live, about 2 years after their initial live date.  To the lay person it looks like that eir have no idea what they have to do in order to get the job done on time.

As for the chap that came to the door, I can't remember if he introduced himself but he did write his name and number [you should be able to see this on the bottom of the pdf scan attached on my previous post]. Looking at it here (the writing is rather poor, so sorry if this isn't entirely correct): Tony Kilmartin and gave the contact number as: 085 8570531

Another thing I remember now, when I talked about wanting FTTH he said that uptake in this product had been very poor in other areas by elaborating that he only knew of 2 connections in the Ennis area.  I explained that I did not really care about other areas, this was the product that I wanted.

typical sales bullsh1t i reckon ! they will say anything to get you to sign up for whatever they are flogging right now.

i would trust the maps myself !  
    Oh, I agree.

Apart from the elderly and the vulnerable, I have no idea who would actually buy an expensive utility subscription from a tacky street trader.  IMHO they should be banned.  They feed on the weak.

Another thing I remember now, when I talked about wanting FTTH he said that uptake in this product had been very poor in other areas by elaborating that he only knew of 2 connections in the Ennis area.  I explained that I did not really care about other areas, this was the product that I wanted.
    Ha!  the uptake on FTTH is slow because only very specific and small areas have been enabled and indeed, the product in Ennis would have a very limited appeal.. !  

I want it - but i can't get it.  i do have my solid 90/20 FTTC anyway so it isn't that much of a big deal.

saying that Ennis is FTTH enabled is like saying Ireland has 1GB internet.

yes - it does, but only in about 100 premises out of a million !!!

Hi Reps,

Hi ads20101,

- Pamela 
    I expected that his information was incorrect, but as he is a local eir representative I couldn't rule out that he may have some up-to-date local knowledge, especially taking into account the delays in the fibre rollout.  For example, to my understanding Kilrush is just about to go live, about 2 years after their initial live date.  To the lay person it looks like that eir have no idea what they have to do in order to get the job done on time.

As for the chap that came to the door, I can't remember if he introduced himself but he did write his name and number [you should be able to see this on the bottom of the pdf scan attached on my previous post]. Looking at it here (the writing is rather poor, so sorry if this isn't entirely correct): Tony Kilmartin and gave the contact number as: 085 8570531

I can understand that completely ads20101,
    I have passed this onto management and I can assure you this will be thoroughly investigated.

-Pamela 

Fibre is being laid NOW

Seriously, I'm not joking.  There is a load of KN workers digging up the road from Kilrush / Cooraclare.  They are nearly up to the eir Kilmihil exchange on the road.

I passed them as I was heading into Kilrush and thought that they could be laying fibre, but there was no upgrade information on the openeir site.  However, I pulled over and asked them on the way back (just a few mins ago).  They confirmed that it was fibre that was being laid.

Reps.... can you have a quick look into this.  Is there an updated timeframe?  What kind of improvements can be expected?

Just had a look on the openeir site - still no change

wow...!

but it could be a while between laying core fibre and an actual service being available.  good progress though. 

Unfortunately, you could be right.

It took kilrush more than 2 years from getting the fibre laid.  It is just about to go live now.  Although, according to Michael down at the garage, the delay in kilrush was caused by interference from a local pylon.

Unfortunately, you could be right.

It took kilrush more than 2 years from getting the fibre laid.  It is just about to go live now.  Although, according to Michael down at the garage, the delay in kilrush was caused by interference from a local pylon.
    I'm afriad the time taken to complete the connection will vary depending on the level of work involved  ads20101 and whether consents from road and planning authorities and private landowners are necessary. Unfortauntely due to these reasons there can be delays.

-Pamela 

• Advertisement

I'm afriad the time taken to complete the connection will vary depending on the level of work involved  ads20101 and whether consents from road and planning authorities and private landowners are necessary. Unfortauntely due to these reasons there can be delays.

-Pamela 

Hi Pamela,

Sorry about this. It was this post needed an answer to.

Fibre is being laid NOW

Seriously, I'm not joking.  There is a load of KN workers digging up the road from Kilrush / Cooraclare.  They are nearly up to the eir Kilmihil exchange on the road.

I passed them as I was heading into Kilrush and thought that they could be laying fibre, but there was no upgrade information on the openeir site.  However, I pulled over and asked them on the way back (just a few mins ago).  They confirmed that it was fibre that was being laid.

Reps.... can you have a quick look into this.  Is there an updated timeframe?  What kind of improvements can be expected?

Advertisement