Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB in Kilmihil

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

ads20101 wrote: »
    I'm afriad the time taken to complete the connection will vary depending on the level of work involved  ads20101 and whether consents from road and planning authorities and private landowners are necessary. Unfortauntely due to these reasons there can be delays.

-Pamela 

Hi Pamela,

Sorry about this. It was this post needed an answer to.

Fibre is being laid NOW

Seriously, I'm not joking.  There is a load of KN workers digging up the road from Kilrush / Cooraclare.  They are nearly up to the eir Kilmihil exchange on the road.

I passed them as I was heading into Kilrush and thought that they could be laying fibre, but there was no upgrade information on the openeir site.  However, I pulled over and asked them on the way back (just a few mins ago).  They confirmed that it was fibre that was being laid.

Reps.... can you have a quick look into this.  Is there an updated timeframe?  What kind of improvements can be expected?
    Our website will be updated as soon as we have confirmed a timeframe or update ads20101, due to the level of work required there will not always be updates available as soon as work commences.

-Pamela  

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Our website will be updated as soon as we have confirmed a timeframe or update ads20101, due to the level of work required there will not always be updates available as soon as work commences.

-Pamela  

Thanks for the reply.

It was the fact that I had essentially lost hope. We were on the 2016 (later changed to 2017) to 2020 FTTH plan. There was a document released indicating fibre works to be completed this year and we weren't on it.

Obviously something has changed.

It would seem a tad mean if they were able to run core fibre to the exchange only for it not to be connected.

Could this mean that we could get eir fibre (FTTC) earlier?

What I am trying to say is that there must be an updated plan for Kilmihil somewhere. Surely someone knows. Is there someone in openeir that might know.

-Pamela  

Thanks for the reply.

It was the fact that I had essentially lost hope. We were on the 2016 (later changed to 2017) to 2020 FTTH plan. There was a document released indicating fibre works to be completed this year and we weren't on it.

Obviously something has changed.

It would seem a tad mean if they were able to run core fibre to the exchange only for it not to be connected.

Could this mean that we could get eir fibre (FTTC) earlier?

What I am trying to say is that there must be an updated plan for Kilmihil somewhere. Surely someone knows. Is there someone in openeir that might know.
    Our latest deployment plan was realeased wednesday and I have checked this and Kilmihil is still on the 2017-2020 plan for the FTTH service. Once an update is available our website will be updated. Altenatively please feel free to check back with me and I can check the latset deployment plan ( they are released every 2-4 months). 

-Pamela 

The KN chaps were out working on more cable yesterday. 

Unusual that they are working on a Saturday.

Really unusual that there is nothing on the map!

I wonder if they have made a wrong turn.  Would be an expensive mistake.

Surely someone must know what's going on. 

The KN chaps were out working on more cable yesterday. 

Unusual that they are working on a Saturday.  

Really unusual that there is nothing on the map!

I wonder if they have made a wrong turn.  Would be an expensive mistake.

Surely someone must know what's going on. 
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]The cabinet will be updated once the cabinet or exchange status changes [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ads20101[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]The Kilmihil is currently part of [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]open eir's FTTH 2017-2020 rollout programme which aims to provide customers in this exchange area with speeds of up to 1000GB.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela  [/font]

• Advertisement

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]The cabinet will be updated once the cabinet or exchange status changes [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ads20101[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]The Kilmihil is currently part of [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]open eir's FTTH 2017-2020 rollout programme which aims to provide customers in this exchange area with speeds of up to 1000GB.[/font]

Appreciated Pamela - it's just that if you were to have looked at the surrounding exchanges:
    Cooraclare
    Doonbeg
    Kilrush

They had proposed dates on the map well before the core fibre was actually laid.

Fibre is being laid and the map doesn't even indicate that works are in progress like what was done in the areas identified above.

All I am saying is that this is different, that I have no idea why, and that I am speculating in the absence of information coming from eir.

Appreciated Pamela - it's just that if you were to have looked at the surrounding exchanges:
    Cooraclare
    Doonbeg
    Kilrush

They had proposed dates on the map well before the core fibre was actually laid.

Fibre is being laid and the map doesn't even indicate that works are in progress like what was done in the areas identified above.

All I am saying is that this is different, that I have no idea why, and that I am speculating in the absence of information coming from eir.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]No problem [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ads20101[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif], I have checked these three locations[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]and the service that has gone live in these locations is the efibre to the cabinet service (FTTC). The service that is planned for Kilmihil is efibre to the home (FTTH) which is a different service. [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]As soon as there is an update for this location the map will be updated however as the FTTH service is part of open eir's FTTH 2017-2020 rollout programme there might not be an update available for some time.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela [/font]

Cooraclare
    Doonbeg
    Kilrush

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]No problem [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ads20101[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif], I have checked these three locations[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]and the service that has gone live in these locations is the efibre to the cabinet service (FTTC). The service that is planned for Kilmihil is efibre to the home (FTTH) which is a different service. [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]As soon as there is an update for this location the map will be updated however as the FTTH service is part of open eir's FTTH 2017-2020 rollout programme there might not be an update available for some time.[/font]

Thanks Pamela - 

Sorry for bothering you with this, but it seems so damn tantalisingly close that we may actually get a broadband better than 0.3Mb/s dl at peak times.

Another reason is that a lot of people in the village have left the local dsl and have signed contacts with wireless operators (BB broadband & Clare Broadband) who appear to run a decent enough service.

I have been considering this myself for some time, but there is a downside.  They request an instillation charge (approx. €100) and a contractual commitment for at least a year.   Additionally they appear a tad dearer than many of the dsl isp contracts.

Obviously, I don't have money to throw away, so can eir at least can advise that there will be no further improvement for at least a year.  This will allow me to make a considered decision to join the others, move away, get a decent broadband and look at returning when the FTTH project is here.  

Cooraclare
    Doonbeg
    Kilrush

Thanks Pamela - 

Sorry for bothering you with this, but it seems so damn tantalisingly close that we may actually get a broadband better than 0.3Mb/s dl at peak times.

Another reason is that a lot of people in the village have left the local dsl and have signed contacts with wireless operators (BB broadband & Clare Broadband) who appear to run a decent enough service.

I have been considering this myself for some time, but there is a downside.  They request an instillation charge (approx. €100) and a contractual commitment for at least a year.   Additionally they appear a tad dearer than many of the dsl isp contracts.

Obviously, I don't have money to throw away, so can eir at least can advise that there will be no further improvement for at least a year.  This will allow me to make a considered decision to join the others, move away, get a decent broadband and look at returning when the FTTH project is here.  
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]It's no problem at all [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ads20101, [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm more than happy to help :)[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I can understand that completely unfortunately I have no further information on the planned FTTH rollout in this area at the minute.[/font]

Cooraclare
    Doonbeg
    Kilrush

Thanks Pamela - 

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]It's no problem at all [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ads20101, [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm more than happy to help :)[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I can understand that completely unfortunately I have no further information on the planned FTTH rollout in this area at the minute.[/font]

I appreciate that you are happy to help Pamela, but surely you can admit that the answer you gave didn't actually address my question, additionally, it was more than a tad ambiguous.  

Are you implying that you have made enquires and awaiting an answer from openeir etc? or are you stating that this is the only information eir has, essentially stating that there is plan to either commence a build inside 12 months or not.  If it is the latter, you must see that from my viewpoint it appears that the rollout appears disorganised and unprofessional.  Or, is it that there is a plan but it just can not be made public yet for (say..) commercial reasons?

I have in the past received more information by corresponding with openeir directly, but if you have already gone down this avenue please let me know so that I don't replicate and waste everyones time.

Finally, I would like to apologise for appearing pedantic, this is not my intention but I need to know this information so that I know what to do next.  It would be rather irritating that after waiting for 5 years for the exchange to be upgraded, that I spend money on a wireless subscription for nothing.

• Advertisement

Cooraclare
    Doonbeg
    Kilrush

Thanks Pamela - 

I appreciate that you are happy to help Pamela, but surely you can admit that the answer you gave didn't actually address my question, additionally, it was more than a tad ambiguous.  

Are you implying that you have made enquires and awaiting an answer from openeir etc? or are you stating that this is the only information eir has, essentially stating that there is plan to either commence a build inside 12 months or not.  If it is the latter, you must see that from my viewpoint it appears that the rollout appears disorganised and unprofessional.  Or, is it that there is a plan but it just can not be made public yet for (say..) commercial reasons?

I have in the past received more information by corresponding with openeir directly, but if you have already gone down this avenue please let me know so that I don't replicate and waste everyones time.

Finally, I would like to apologise for appearing pedantic, this is not my intention but I need to know this information so that I know what to do next.  It would be rather irritating that after waiting for 5 years for the exchange to be upgraded, that I spend money on a wireless subscription for nothing.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have checked this information on our latest deployment plan which was released by openeir last week [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ads20101.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Planning will have starting for this service now however as the FTTH is been deployed between 2017 and 2020 works will not have commenced yet. As soon as works commence our map online here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ will be updated however this will not be until 2017. Please feel free to check back with me then.[/font]

Cooraclare
    Doonbeg
    Kilrush

Thanks Pamela - 

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have checked this information on our latest deployment plan which was released by openeir last week [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ads20101.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Planning will have starting for this service now however as the FTTH is been deployed between 2017 and 2020 works will not have commenced yet. As soon as works commence our map online here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ will be updated however this will not be until 2017. Please feel free to check back with me then.[/font]

I appreciate that the FTTH plan is from 2017-2020 but some fibre works are currently in progress in Kilmihil.  I know this because I have seen the KN workers, pulled my car over, spoke to them and they have confirmed to me that they are in the process of laying fibre.

Would eir not describe this action as works?

Cooraclare
    Doonbeg
    Kilrush

Thanks Pamela - 

I appreciate that the FTTH plan is from 2017-2020 but some fibre works are currently in progress in Kilmihil.  I know this because I have seen the KN workers, pulled my car over, spoke to them and they have confirmed to me that they are in the process of laying fibre.

Would eir not describe this action as works?
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Planning works might well indeed have commenced [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ads20101[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] however the works to deploy this service will not commence until 2017.[/font]

Unfortunately, you could be right.

It took kilrush more than 2 years from getting the fibre laid.  It is just about to go live now.  Although, according to Michael down at the garage, the delay in kilrush was caused by interference from a local pylon.
    I'm afriad the time taken to complete the connection will vary depending on the level of work involved  ads20101 and whether consents from road and planning authorities and private landowners are necessary. Unfortauntely due to these reasons there can be delays.

-Pamela 
    The weather appears better than usual at the moment and given the fact that KN have successfully digging around the manholes indicates that there is not a current planning permission notice.  I have just had a look on the Clare County Council planning application site and searched for 'eir' / 'eircom' / 'kn' and there does not appear to be an issue with planning from this office.  Additionally, I am not aware of any delays, quite the contrary in fact, with Kilmihil being on the 2017 to 2020 plan, the laying of fibre on the roads appear to indicate that eir do not have delays.  Unless, of course, you have alternative information that I am not privy to?

Unfortunately, you could be right.

It took kilrush more than 2 years from getting the fibre laid.  It is just about to go live now.  Although, according to Michael down at the garage, the delay in kilrush was caused by interference from a local pylon.

-Pamela 
    The weather appears better than usual at the moment and given the fact that KN have successfully digging around the manholes indicates that there is not a current planning permission notice.  I have just had a look on the Clare County Council planning application site and searched for 'eir' / 'eircom' / 'kn' and there does not appear to be an issue with planning from this office.  Additionally, I am not aware of any delays, quite the contrary in fact, with Kilmihil being on the 2017 to 2020 plan, the laying of fibre on the roads appear to indicate that eir do not have delays.  Unless, of course, you have alternative information that I am not privy to?
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm afraid I have no further information on the FTTH deployment in Kilmihil [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ads20101.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I’m very sorry I could not offer you better news.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm afraid I have no further information on the FTTH deployment in Kilmihil [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ads20101.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I’m very sorry I could not offer you better news.[/font]

Appreciated Pamela,

Let me know if you anything at a later date.

Appreciated Pamela,

Let me know if you anything at a later date.
    That's no problem ads20101I'll let you know.

-Pamela 

Something strange is happening.

For the last few days there has been very little congestion, even at peak times.

As you know from previous posts I have a 3Mb/s line and the max I get is around 2.55Mb/s d/l.  This max has only really been achievable in the early hours of the morning.  From 1800 to midnight the max I would get was 0.3Mb/s d/l.  Sometimes it would stop all together.  I reported it many times to technical staff and after doing the same laborious checks I would be informed that the exchange is congested and it will not get better until it is upgraded. 

Well, for the last few days (week max) I have been getting 2.50 to 2.65Mb/s d/l at all times of the day.

Can I ask the reps what has happened.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining (for once).

Has the exchange been upgraded? If so, what kind of speeds can the exchange now deliver?

or (what I think is more likely) the surrounding exchanges have gone fibre and therefore there is no congestion before the data even gets to the village.

or nothing has changed and this is just a freak occurrence and the usual congestion will return shortly.

This speed test was taken right now (21:16 on 6/8/16) usually a highly congested time:

5533729606.png

Just to add:  I have now looked through my sam knows reports and I can clearly see that there was a dramatic change to the exchange on the 27/7/16.  I probably didn't notice at the time as I was going through a rather heavy period of downloading until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like the exchange has been rehomed to NGB. That means you arent competing for bandwidth with the rest of the area anymore.

If you're close enough to the exchange you may be able to regrade your package with sky up to 7/8Mb. It may take a few weeks for their systems to reflect the change.

APQ currently shows old data:
    Exchange Code:  Unknown
    DSL Enabled:  Yes - 2 MB
    NGB Enabled:  No
    Fibre Enabled: No
    LLU Enabled: No

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Sounds like the exchange has been rehomed to NGB. That means you arent competing for bandwidth with the rest of the area anymore.

If you're close enough to the exchange you may be able to regrade your package with sky up to 7/8Mb. It may take a few weeks for their systems to reflect the change.

APQ currently shows old data:
    Exchange Code:  Unknown
    DSL Enabled:  Yes - 2 MB
    NGB Enabled:  No
    Fibre Enabled: No
    LLU Enabled: No

Just done the same check using my specific number. I have got exactly the same results as you.

For the last few days there has been very little congestion, even at peak times.

As you know from previous posts I have a 3Mb/s line and the max I get is around 2.55Mb/s d/l. This max has only really been achievable in the early hours of the morning. From 1800 to midnight the max I would get was 0.3Mb/s d/l. Sometimes it would stop all together. I reported it many times to technical staff and after doing the same laborious checks I would be informed that the exchange is congested and it will not get better until it is upgraded.

Well, for the last few days (week max) I have been getting 2.50 to 2.65Mb/s d/l at all times of the day.

Can I ask the reps what has happened. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining (for once).

Has the exchange been upgraded? If so, what kind of speeds can the exchange now deliver?

or (what I think is more likely) the surrounding exchanges have gone fibre and therefore there is no congestion before the data even gets to the village.

or nothing has changed and this is just a freak occurrence and the usual congestion will return shortly.
    Hi Reps,

You may have missed this post from a few days ago.

Regarding the above information can you please check on the status of the eircom exchange (Kilmihil [KML])

Thanks

As you know from previous posts I have a 3Mb/s line and the max I get is around 2.55Mb/s d/l.  This max has only really been achievable in the early hours of the morning.  From 1800 to midnight the max I would get was 0.3Mb/s d/l.  Sometimes it would stop all together.  I reported it many times to technical staff and after doing the same laborious checks I would be informed that the exchange is congested and it will not get better until it is upgraded.

Can I ask the reps what has happened.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining (for once).

Hi Reps,

You may have missed this post from a few days ago.

Regarding the above information can you please check on the status of the eircom exchange (Kilmihil [KML])

Thanks
    Hi ads20101,

I'll query with with the technicial team and get back to you.

-Pamela 

Hi ads20101,

I'll query with with the technicial team and get back to you.

-Pamela 

Appreciated Pamela

Any news yet Pamela - The suspense is killing me! :)

Appreciated Pamela

Hi Pamela et al,

Just wondering if you have any answer from technical services from the 6/8/16 yet?

It appears quite clear that what ever has happened is more than the neighbouring exchanges going fibre.

The reason that I come to this conclusion is two fold:
    • I now have well over a weeks worth of uninterrupted data from my sam knows box clearly showing no congestion on the line.  Previously in this thread we have been able to ascertain that only 16 Mb/s were arriving entering the Kilmihil exchange via a microwave link.  If this was still the case then there would still be some level of congestion.
    • Also according to the sam knows box there was an immediate change in the quality of service on the 27/7/16.  If it was just down to the fact that people in Cooraclare, Doonbeg and Kilrush were transferring off the ADSL network to VDSL then surely a more gradual improvement would be noticed.
    [*]

Equally, it maybe the case that I am looking to much into this, and if this is the case by all means correct me.

Thanks

Appreciated Pamela

Hi Pamela et al,

Just wondering if you have any answer from technical services from the 6/8/16 yet?

It appears quite clear that what ever has happened is more than the neighbouring exchanges going fibre.

• I now have well over a weeks worth of uninterrupted data from my sam knows box clearly showing no congestion on the line.  Previously in this thread we have been able to ascertain that only 16 Mb/s were arriving entering the Kilmihil exchange via a microwave link.  If this was still the case then there would still be some level of congestion.
    • Also according to the sam knows box there was an immediate change in the quality of service on the 27/7/16.  If it was just down to the fact that people in Cooraclare, Doonbeg and Kilrush were transferring off the ADSL network to VDSL then surely a more gradual improvement would be noticed.

[*]

Equally, it maybe the case that I am looking to much into this, and if this is the case by all means correct me.

Thanks
    [*]
    Hi - just wondering if there has been any feedback yet?

Appreciated Pamela

Hi Pamela et al,

[*]

Thanks

[*]
    [*]
    Sincere apologies for the delay ads20101.

I can confirm this exchange has been in the process of been upgraded to NGN so this could be why you have noticed changes. This exchange has been forecast to be NGN enabled today. :D

-Pamela 

Appreciated Pamela

Hi Pamela et al,

[*]

Thanks

[*]

[*]

I can confirm this exchange has been in the process of been upgraded to NGN so this could be why you have noticed changes. This exchange has been forecast to be NGN enabled today. :D

-Pamela 
    [*]
    This is brilliant news!

I have already seen a dramatic improvement in quality.  However, what kind of speed can I expect? (I am about 1/2 km from the exchange, but an eircom engineer once informed me that the length of the connection to the exchange is around 1km).  When will the ISP's have access to the new status?

• Advertisement

Appreciated Pamela

Hi Pamela et al,

[*]

Thanks

[*]

[*]

-Pamela 

[*]
    This is brilliant news!

I have already seen a dramatic improvement in quality.  However, what kind of speed can I expect? (I am about 1/2 km from the exchange, but an eircom engineer once informed me that the length of the connection to the exchange is around 1km).  When will the ISP's have access to the new status?
    [*]
    I'm afraid I would be unable to advise as it can affect each customer differently ads20101. They will indeed.

-Pamela

Advertisement