Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB in Kilmihil

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

ads20101 wrote: »

Appreciated Pamela
    Any news yet Pamela - The suspense is killing me! :)

Hi Pamela et al,

Just wondering if you have any answer from technical services from the 6/8/16 yet?

It appears quite clear that what ever has happened is more than the neighbouring exchanges going fibre.

The reason that I come to this conclusion is two fold:
    • I now have well over a weeks worth of uninterrupted data from my sam knows box clearly showing no congestion on the line.  Previously in this thread we have been able to ascertain that only 16 Mb/s were arriving entering the Kilmihil exchange via a microwave link.  If this was still the case then there would still be some level of congestion.
    • Also according to the sam knows box there was an immediate change in the quality of service on the 27/7/16.  If it was just down to the fact that people in Cooraclare, Doonbeg and Kilrush were transferring off the ADSL network to VDSL then surely a more gradual improvement would be noticed.

[*]

Equally, it maybe the case that I am looking to much into this, and if this is the case by all means correct me.

Thanks

[*]
    Hi - just wondering if there has been any feedback yet?

[*]
    Sincere apologies for the delay ads20101.

I can confirm this exchange has been in the process of been upgraded to NGN so this could be why you have noticed changes. This exchange has been forecast to be NGN enabled today. :D

-Pamela 
    [*]
    Hi Pamela,

Just wondering when the ISP's will be informed of the upgrade.  I have checked with those connected to the openeir Kilmihil exchange via vodafone, eir, and sky and no ISP's have been informed of any change. (TBH I was surprised that eir did not have any information!)

Don't get me wrong, I am really chuffed that the internet is working again, but I was hoping for a tad more speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Appreciated Pamela
    Any news yet Pamela - The suspense is killing me! :)

Hi Pamela et al,

Just wondering if you have any answer from technical services from the 6/8/16 yet?

It appears quite clear that what ever has happened is more than the neighbouring exchanges going fibre.

The reason that I come to this conclusion is two fold:
    • I now have well over a weeks worth of uninterrupted data from my sam knows box clearly showing no congestion on the line.  Previously in this thread we have been able to ascertain that only 16 Mb/s were arriving entering the Kilmihil exchange via a microwave link.  If this was still the case then there would still be some level of congestion.
    • Also according to the sam knows box there was an immediate change in the quality of service on the 27/7/16.  If it was just down to the fact that people in Cooraclare, Doonbeg and Kilrush were transferring off the ADSL network to VDSL then surely a more gradual improvement would be noticed.

[*]

Equally, it maybe the case that I am looking to much into this, and if this is the case by all means correct me.

Thanks

[*]
    Hi - just wondering if there has been any feedback yet?

[*]
    Sincere apologies for the delay ads20101.

I can confirm this exchange has been in the process of been upgraded to NGN so this could be why you have noticed changes. This exchange has been forecast to be NGN enabled today. :D

-Pamela 

[*]
    Hi Pamela,

Just wondering when the ISP's will be informed of the upgrade.  I have checked with those connected to the openeir Kilmihil exchange via vodafone, eir, and sky and no ISP's have been informed of any change. (TBH I was surprised that eir did not have any information!)

Don't get me wrong, I am really chuffed that the internet is working again, but I was hoping for a tad more speed.
    [*]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]No problem [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ads20101, [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]openeir would update operations of all providers using eir infrastructure of any upgrades to the network. I'm afraid I would be unable to comment for other providers and would be unable to advise of why they would be unaware of this when contacted. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela [/font]

Thanks for the reply Pamela,

But even when I contacted eir sales, they did not have any further information on the exchange.

as said, no one I have spoken to has stated that there ISP is aware of any upgrade.

I will try and hassle my ISP again today if you can tell me that openeir has disseminated the information.

But even when I contacted eir sales, they did not have any further information on the exchange.  

as said, no one I have spoken to has stated that there ISP is aware of any upgrade.

I will try and hassle my ISP again today if you can tell me that openeir has disseminated the information.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]No problem at all [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ads20101,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'll relay this feedback to the sales team.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]No problem at all [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ads20101,[/font]

Hi Pamela,

It has been over a month now since the exchange has gone NGN.  Unfortunately, broadband sales at eir, sky and vodafone are still unaware of any upgrade to the exchange.

Equally, once again I have enquired with other BB users connected to the eir exchange via various ISP's and none have been able to get increased speed.

• Advertisement

Hi Pamela,

It has been over a month now since the exchange has gone NGN.  Unfortunately, broadband sales at eir, sky and vodafone are still unaware of any upgrade to the exchange.

Equally, once again I have enquired with other BB users connected to the eir exchange via various ISP's and none have been able to get increased speed.

Hi Pamela (or any other rep),

Just wondering if you have had time to look into the issues that I put forward 5 days ago.

Thanks

Hi Pamela,

Hi Pamela (or any other rep),

Just wondering if you have had time to look into the issues that I put forward 5 days ago.

Thanks
    Hi Reps,

Another week has gone by and there is no change with the map or the sales teams.

Just as proof I have screen shots from line checks from Eir & Digiweb:

398030.jpg

398031.jpg

Hi Reps

Regarding the following posts:

18/8/16:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/100717856

21/9/16:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/101111117

26/9/16:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/101111117

30/9/16:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/101207058

Have you been able to look into the issues?

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ads20101,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]The infrastructure is automatically [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]upgraded[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]however as each is line is individual all results can vary. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I would recommend contacting the provider directly and asking them to complete a line prequal as online results can vary.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]The infrastructure is automatically [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]upgraded[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]however as each is line is individual all results can vary. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I would recommend contacting the provider directly and asking them to complete a line prequal as online results can vary.[/font]
    Thanks for getting back to me,

The problem is that I have.  My current ISP is sky.  I am sure that you can imagine that I have plagued them since the upgrade date.  They have stated (continually) that eir have not informed them of any change to the exchange.

So, after getting cheesed off with sky I actually contacted eir sales.  I asked them what speeds I can get now that the exchange has been upgraded.  They too informed me that they do not have any further information on the Kilmihil exchange being upgraded.

I know that I have a consistent internet from the exchange, but I was really hoping to squeeze a bit more speed out of the line.

As for my line, I am not really that far away from the exchange (about 1/2 km) and no one else I know connected to the exchange has been able to get improved speeds despite what ISP they are subscribed to.

Could someone from eir please let sky know that the eir exchange has been upgraded.  If you can confirm this I promise you I will focus all my attention on them.  If at this time they can still not improve my line I will return to eir (although your prices are a tad on the pricey side for what is essentially the same product).

• Advertisement

The problem is that I have.  My current ISP is sky.  I am sure that you can imagine that I have plagued them since the upgrade date.  They have stated (continually) that eir have not informed them of any change to the exchange.

So, after getting cheesed off with sky I actually contacted eir sales.  I asked them what speeds I can get now that the exchange has been upgraded.  They too informed me that they do not have any further information on the Kilmihil exchange being upgraded.

I know that I have a consistent internet from the exchange, but I was really hoping to squeeze a bit more speed out of the line.

As for my line, I am not really that far away from the exchange (about 1/2 km) and no one else I know connected to the exchange has been able to get improved speeds despite what ISP they are subscribed to.

Could someone from eir please let sky know that the eir exchange has been upgraded.  If you can confirm this I promise you I will focus all my attention on them.  If at this time they can still not improve my line I will return to eir (although your prices are a tad on the pricey side for what is essentially the same product).
    I can understand this however your provider will not be able to offer you any further upgrades ads20101. The works that were carried out on the exchange will automatically affect the service you are availing of and some customers might notice an improvement (some wont) however there are no further upgrades that can be offered at the minute until your exchange is efibre enabled.

-Pamela 

I can understand this however your provider will not be able to offer you any further upgrades ads20101. The works that were carried out on the exchange will automatically affect the service you are availing of and some customers might notice an improvement (some wont) however there are no further upgrades that can be offered at the minute until your exchange is efibre enabled.

-Pamela 

My reason that there should be some increased speed is due to the following information that I have been able to gather:
    • The Kilmihil exchange is ADSL2 enabled.  The original reason that a 3Mb/s artificial cap was enforced was due to the fact that there was only 16Mb/s arriving into the exchange.
    • This changed earlier this year when your KN contractors brought a connection from the Kilrush road.  I am no telecom expert but I would surmise that it is a hell of a lot more bandwidth than the old 16Mb/s
    • This resulted in a direct improvement in the quality of my connection from the end of July 2016.  My internet no longer stopped at peak times and was maxing out at any time of the day at 2.65Mb/s.  Essentially, it became uncontested.  (Don't get me wrong, I was more than a tad chuffed with this bit!).
    • You confirmed that it had become NGN enable early August 2016.
    • I am not privy to Openeir's business plan, but it appears that there is no physical reason why my line (or anyone else's line within the immediate vicinity of the exchange) could not get around 20Mb/s.  I am not sure why openeir are continuing to artificially throttle the line. (By all means, correct me if I am mistaken).
    [*]

The area is due to go FTTH H2 next year.  This will be just after I will have finished my post grad masters.  What I really need is a smidge more bandwidth now and according to my information there is no technological reason why I can't have it.  I am sure you will agree Pamela that if you were in my place you would equally find this an infuriating situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ads20101,    
                     Have you recently contacted technical to see if they could change your profile to something higher?
    This can work especially if you get a decent technician who is willing to try a few tests on their end.

ads20101,    
                     Have you recently contacted technical to see if they could change your profile to something higher?
    This can work especially if you get a decent technician who is willing to try a few tests on their end.
    Yep, tried the lot.

Tried technical and tried for a new pre-qual, but have been stated (numerous times) that openeir have not informed them of any improvement.  Interestingly, they also don't have the exchange upgrade information that has removed my chronic congestion.

The exchange has been improved and from what I can gather is perfectly capable of delivering better speeds, but for whatever reason openeir are purposefully  withholding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its likely just an oversight. Call technical support and see if your calling station ID changed in August (this will be a lotto if they understand the question). If they listed the rehome then your CSI had to change, but if they havent which I suspect is the case the underlying network is faster but the logical topology has yet to be updated. 

ED E wrote: »
    Its likely just an oversight. Call technical support and see if your calling station ID changed in August (this will be a lotto if they understand the question). If they listed the rehome then your CSI had to change, but if they havent which I suspect is the case the underlying network is faster but the logical topology has yet to be updated. 
    Thanks for this Ed E,

I will give them another bell (I'm getting the impression that I am out staying my welcome) 

Before I do can you tell me:
    • What is the CSI?
    • If the local topology hasn't yet been updated, what needs to be done for this to happen? 
    [*]
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If your phone line has a phone number your broadband "connection" has a CSI. Its a unique ID for the server that hands you out an IP address. The key would be does it start with KML or not (not being another exchange elsewhere in the region).

The change is purely a configuration that would be done by the Eir NOC in citywest. 

ED E wrote: »
    I called up technical services.  You were right, the chap (although nice) had no idea what I was asking for.  He didn't admit this at first, he kept on deflecting to answering a question that I had not asked.

When I pressed him on it he said that he was not aware of these terms and this would be a matter for openeir.

The problem is that openeir have stated that they will not discuss individual cases and I will need to discuss with my ISP's tech services.

Comreg won't touch this (I have dealt with them before)

It appears that I am travelling in circles without resolution.

Well, at least I have access to a (rather slow) working internet for once!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

looking at the latest eir map - it now says Kilmihil will be upgraded 'within 1 year' .... 

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/coverage-map/

sibergoth wrote: »
    looking at the latest eir map - it now says Kilmihil will be upgraded 'within 1 year' .... 

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/coverage-map/
    Yes, that's similar to what the more accurate fibre roll out site has stated:
    [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]'Estimated date for first Live Fibre Services is H2 2017. Estimated date for first Live FTTH Fibre Services with speeds up to 1000Mb/s is H2 2017'[/font]

The difference now appears that eir's eFibre service is also coming to the exchange.  Additionally a fibre cabinet allocation of

KML1_E01 '
    has been issued.

What I have trouble understanding is why no one connected to this open eir exchange are able to increase their speed profile.  There is no longer any congestion on the allocated 3Mb/s line and the Eir representatives here have stated that the exchange has been upgraded to NGN.  Additionally, Ireland offline is stating that there the exchange is ADSL2 ready.

It appears clear to me that openeir are purposefully keeping the speeds low for whatever reason.

Maybe that they don't work at all with older technology?  or maybe they want the 'wow!' factor when they get the efibre / FTTH on line at the end of 2017.  I just don't know.

• Advertisement

from the maps, looks like my old house still wouldn't be covered... glad i came to Ennis !

from the maps, looks like my old house still wouldn't be covered... glad i came to Ennis !
    Now that they have decided to put e fibre in as well, you may have been eligible for that rather then the FTTH.

On that note, I have seen some serious eircom / kn action around ennis lately.  Have you got FTTH yet?

nope. still just 90down 20up.. which is fine, but shame my road isn't getting the 1000Mbps...  as far as i can tell they enabled one estate somewhere and moved on to other towns... 

Crickey, I'd kill for those speeds.

It looks like we'll have decent internet in kilmihil just after I complete my MA.

Pants!!!

looks like SIRO is being installed on my road..  so 1000Mbps here i come ! 

(cables being laid so may be a wee while yet...)

looks like SIRO is being installed on my road..  so 1000Mbps here i come ! 

(cables being laid so may be a wee while yet...)

Gone from being slightly jealous to super jealous :)

Haven't heard from eir in a while, but I see that Kilmihil is also down for FTTC as well as FTTH for H2 17.

I have to have my thesis in for April. Shame there couldn't be anything else done before this.

The internet has been consistent & uncongested but remains at 2.65 Mb/s dl here in Kilmihil.

A world away from siro.

i know someone in Adare village who should be getting 100Mbps as the cabinet just down the road is enabled, but eir claim the best that he can get is 24Mbps and about 6Mbps up.  not really very good considering thats AFTER the upgrade !...  When i can get 1000Mbps i'll jump on it!  don't think many people actually need that kind of bandwidth, but it does future proof the install for a good while !

what I'd like to know is what is the total capacity that Ireland has?  How many 1000Mbps connections can Siro/eir offer before the whole country is slowing down?!

I looked back at the start of this thread... almost 6 years ago and the speed is the same as it was then !!!! 

Hi Reps,

I know its been a while but I have a query

I am currently renegotiating my sky bundle.  However looking around I thought I would give eir another try so I spoke to an eir rep via web chat.  Just a couple of bits:
    • I was informed that I could get up to 10Mb/s on my number.  This is contrary to all other ISP's that I've contacted who have stated that the most I can get is 3Mb/s.  Additionally, the lower rate is also what comes up when I look at the eir web site.  I asked the rep to clarify and she said that this is what the computer is saying.  Not that I don't believe her, but if I am returning to the higher prices eir charges I need to be certain that eir can deliver on this.
    • The kilmihil exchange is down for FTTH and FTTC upgrade for H2 2017.  The same web chat rep informed me that I would have to be with eir to connect to fibre.  I replied that I did not think that this was correct information.  She replied that she was certain.  Can you clarify this for me also.
    [*]

I have a copy of the web chat if you require reference

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Reps,

I know its been a while but I have a query

I am currently renegotiating my sky bundle.  However looking around I thought I would give eir another try so I spoke to an eir rep via web chat.  Just a couple of bits:
    • I was informed that I could get up to 10Mb/s on my number.  This is contrary to all other ISP's that I've contacted who have stated that the most I can get is 3Mb/s.  Additionally, the lower rate is also what comes up when I look at the eir web site.  I asked the rep to clarify and she said that this is what the computer is saying.  Not that I don't believe her, but if I am returning to the higher prices eir charges I need to be certain that eir can deliver on this.

• The kilmihil exchange is down for FTTH and FTTC upgrade for H2 2017.  The same web chat rep informed me that I would have to be with eir to connect to fibre.  I replied that I did not think that this was correct information.  She replied that she was certain.  Can you clarify this for me also.

[*]

I have a copy of the web chat if you require reference

Thanks
    [*]
    Hi ads20101,

Can you PM me your line details and I'll take a look into your query in relation to speed. 

In relation to FTTC and FTTH this is not the case. Any provider using eir infrastructure can offer this service. eir Retail is a direct customer of Open eir just like other provider’s and we receive no preferential treatment regarding the details or availability of new efibre cabinets.

Thanks,
    Pamela 

Advertisement