Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB in Kilmihil

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

I thought as much that I was lied to.

I will add the web chat to the pm.  I would appreciate it if you could follow up on that to.

PM sent - let me know if you have not received it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

ads20101 wrote: »

I will add the web chat to the pm.  I would appreciate it if you could follow up on that to.
    No problem, I'll pass this onto the web chat team.

Thanks,
    Pamela

Thanks,
    Pamela
    I appreciate that Pamela - will you be able to let me know their response?

Also, I in my mind, more importantly what is the max speed on my line from your information?

Thanks,
    Pamela

Also, I in my mind, more importantly what is the max speed on my line from your information?
    No problem ads20101,
    I'll be back to you shortly.

-Pamela 

• Advertisement

Thanks,
    Pamela

No problem ads20101,
    I'll be back to you shortly.

-Pamela 
    Thanks Pamela - I'm a tad cheesed off with sky reducing the discovery and eurosport content so it won't take much to get me back to eircom.

The 10Mb/s would do it :)

Let me know when you can.  I have a provisional agreement with sky but my contract finishes Feb 14th so I have a small amount of wiggle room if you come back with something better

Any news today Pamela?

Any news today Pamela?
    I've sent you a PM  ads20101,

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

are you able to get 10Mb now ?  should be if the restriction is off at the exchange.

sibergoth wrote: »
    are you able to get 10Mb now ?  should be if the restriction is off at the exchange.

Unfortunately, no!!

It appears that the web chat eir Rep was telling porkies to try and get a sale.

Oh, well......

Humph!!!!

• Advertisement

there's a surprise :(

I am thinking of posting up the web chat transcript to show how blatant it was.

I'll just need to remove my identifying info

Here it is:

Copy of webchat:
    Chat start time Jan 25, 2017 7:55:57 AM EST
    Chat end time Jan 25, 2017 8:27:08 AM EST
    Duration (actual chatting time) 00:31:10
    Operator Supriya

info: Thank you for choosing to chat with us.  An agent will be with you shortly.
    info: You are now chatting with Supriya.
    Supriya: Welcome to the eir Sales webchat, my name is Supriya how can I help you today?
    ads20101: Hi - just renegotiating my contract with sky. I was wondering what speeds can you offer me?
    Supriya: 
    Can you please provide me your full address and land line number?
    so that i can check service availability for you.

ads20101: *********** ********* ********* **********************
    Supriya: 
    thank

Supriya: 
    you

Supriya: 
    One moment please, I'll check that for you...

ads20101: eircode: *********
    Supriya: I'll be right with you.
    Supriya: 
    i have checked and see that speed will be upto 10mbps o your address.

ads20101: thats great news. I thought I could only get 3Mb/s. Has my profile been changed via openeir?
    Supriya: 
    i am not sure about that but I have just checked by using your address on my tool

Supriya: 
    and it is saying that speed for your address will be upto 10mbps.

ads20101: the eir web site is still saying 3. I don't want to move to you only to find you are giving me the same as sky
    Supriya: 
    ok then wait for some more time...once you will get fibre  with us then come to place order.

Supriya: 
    I will provide you one link please go through that link and register yourself. Then you will get fibre as soon as possible.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/eoi/

ads20101: thanks anyway
    ads20101: I have registered with them. Do you have a date for upgrade yet?
    Supriya: 
    they willl inform you via email once you are getting upgraded with fibre

ads20101: ok, I will remain with my current isp for another 12 months
    Supriya: ok..before that only you will get fibre connection with eir.[size]
    Supriya: 
    I haven't heard from you for a while. Are you still there?

ads20101: yes, I am checking a few things
    ads20101: I think that you may have incorrect information about the fibre. As vf and sky both appear to be able to access the fttc fibre from openeir
    ads20101: ftth seems to be more exclusive
    Supriya: 
    no

Supriya: 
    i have checked it correctly.

ads20101: so only eir can access fttc in the kimihil exchange?
    ads20101: would you be able to email me a copy of this conversation?
    Supriya: 
    yes
    [/size]
    Supriya: 
    After clicking on "End Chat" you will get option "Would you like to have transcript", click yes to get this chat conversation to your email id. 

ads20101: Thanks, I will follow up on my end and if I decide to change back to eir I will get back to you.
    Supriya: 
    sure If you need to place any order in future, please don't hesitate to chat with us again and ask for Supriya.
    I'll keep all your details ready which you have given today, to save your time.

ads20101: Thanks Supriya
    Supriya: 
    Thank you for chatting with us today. We really value your comments & opinions and ask that you please take a moment to fill out the exit survey when you click on the close chat “X” button.

info: The chat transcript will be sent to: [email]**************@******.***[/email] at the end of your chat.
    Supriya: 
    plase do this survey.
    [/QUOTE]

Here it is:

Copy of webchat:

[/quote]

"Up to" covers a world of sins!

Yes, but it was more the issue that the Rep was stating that only eir can give me fibre.

Also...

I know no one in the village that can get above 3Mb/s

I doubt that anyone can get up to 10Mb/s - it was just a lie!!

years ago now i had a line test done by an eircom engineer. i took a photo of it for evidence... 
    it clearly showed my line could handle 12 Mbps down and about 0.6 up i think.

(i'll have to dig out the photo - it might already be in this thread anyway)

so i knew for a fact that my phone line from my house to the exchange was capable of 12Mbps

that's when i started digging around and found that the EXCHANGE had a cap per line of 2.55Mbps 
    and the reason for that was the entire exchange only had a 16Mbps uplink 

As I understand it from posts here - the exchange itself has been upgraded - but it looks like the line cap of 2.55Mbps is still in place

your line may be perfectly capable of much more than 10 because you are quite close to the exchange ?    

My thoughts are that the artificial line cap needs to be raised now - because the exchange is no longer so limited....  

years ago now i had a line test done by an eircom engineer. i took a photo of it for evidence... 

so i knew for a fact that my phone line from my house to the exchange was capable of 12Mbps

that's when i started digging around and found that the EXCHANGE had a cap per line of 2.55Mbps 

As I understand it from posts here - the exchange itself has been upgraded - but it looks like the line cap of 2.55Mbps is still in place

your line may be perfectly capable of much more than 10 because you are quite close to the exchange ?    

My thoughts are that the artificial line cap needs to be raised now - because the exchange is no longer so limited....  
    Hi  sibergoth,

I would recommend contacting the technical team. If there is an option to alter your speed profile they will be able to arrange this. You can contact them on 1890260260 or freephone 1901 option 2. 

- Pamela 

I don't live there anymore so not for me.

the profile is at the exchange, not the individual lines as far as i can tell..   THAT is what needs to be changed.

the profile is at the exchange, not the individual lines as far as i can tell..   THAT is what needs to be changed.
    No problem  sibergoth, if you need any assistance with your account please do let me know.

-Pamela 

• Advertisement

Hi  sibergoth,

I would recommend contacting the technical team. If there is an option to alter your speed profile they will be able to arrange this. You can contact them on 1890260260 or freephone 1901 option 2. 

- Pamela 

No problem  sibergoth, if you need any assistance with your account please do let me know.

-Pamela 

This is a perfect example of the feedback here.

It was clear if the reps actually read the post that sibergoth was not talking about his own line, but giving me valuable advice based on his previous experiences.

Reps - I doubt that you will be able to give me an answer to this but here goes:

Is there an artificial speed cap on the exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ads the rep you spoke to was reading the raw prequal (as Im pretty sure has already been discussed at least twice on this thread), its correct for the line but not allowed on a network level. The result given on the website is the effective limit due to the network.

Until the website result changes the DSLAM has not been rerouted as NGB. Asking the reps on here is kind of pointless as their query wont be fielded by citywest (eirs NOC).

From your point of view watch the web prequals and go with whoever is cheapest in the meantime (and after). 

Send that transcript to COMREG. Its directly contravening the RAP process and they shouldnt be getting away with it. 

Hi  sibergoth,

- Pamela 

-Pamela 

It was clear if the reps actually read the post that sibergoth was not talking about his own line, but giving me valuable advice based on his previous experiences.

Reps - I doubt that you will be able to give me an answer to this but here goes:

Hi Reps,

Did you get a moment to look into this?

Hi  sibergoth,

- Pamela 

-Pamela 

Hi Reps,

I've checked this ads20101 and been advised there is no cap per line.

-Pamela 

Hi  sibergoth,

- Pamela 

-Pamela 

Hi Reps,

-Pamela 
    Thanks Pamela,

I genuinely didn't expect a definitive response.  Thanks for looking into this.

The exchange is now showing that it will be upgraded in autumn of this year.   It was previously at H2, which I suppose the same thing.  The only thing that fills me with a smidge of confidence is that most of the other exchanges around here that were also designated H2 have been put back to 2018.  This indicates that there is some kind of prioritisation happening.   

Hi  sibergoth,

- Pamela 

-Pamela 

Hi Reps,

-Pamela 
    Thanks Pamela,

I genuinely didn't expect a definitive response.  Thanks for looking into this.

The exchange is now showing that it will be upgraded in autumn of this year.   It was previously at H2, which I suppose the same thing.  The only thing that fills me with a smidge of confidence is that most of the other exchanges around here that were also designated H2 have been put back to 2018.  This indicates that there is some kind of prioritisation happening.   
    No problem  ads20101.

That's correct currently Autumn is the forecasted date. :)

-Pamela 

More happening:

The KN chappies are now working on the other side of the village now up the Cahermurphy road (putting up new poles)

Kilmihil has a ftth approx data of 'Autumn 2017'

All other areas around here appear to have been put back:

Lissycasy: Winter / Spring 2018
    Knock: Autumn / Winter 2018
    Labasheeda: Winter 2018
    Kildysart: Spring / Summer 2018
    Kilmaley: Winter 2018
    Mullagh: Spring 2018 (if I lived in Mullagh this would cheese me off because they originally had a date before Kilmihil)

So - if the dates are correct we are the next to go FTTH in west Clare

Hi Eir Reps,

As I have said earlier, I am currently subscribed to sky as my ISP.  Additionally, my exchange area is due to go FTTC & FTTH in the autumn, so I suspect you are wondering why I am contacting you again.

Well... I note on both eir.ie and on the openeir fibre roll out page that my line can now take 18Mb/s.  Yippee!!! I thought, but unfortunately no!

Sky have informed me that they cannot upgrade my speed as eir has not informed sky of any line upgrade from the 3Mb/s line that I am currently on.

The autumn fibre upgrade is unlikely to affect me as sky do not supply FTTH (the sky rep informed me just now that they are not even having discussions with eir regarding this), only FTTC.  I am unlikely going to go with sky FTTC in the autumn as they will extend my contract for a year.  I will just wait until early Jan (when my sky sub is up) and return to eir who can provide me with proper fibre.

So, it would be advantageous if eir could inform sky of the DSL upgrade so that I can have a better service until I return back to eir.

Yours in hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Hi Eir Reps,

As I have said earlier, I am currently subscribed to sky as my ISP.  Additionally, my exchange area is due to go FTTC & FTTH in the autumn, so I suspect you are wondering why I am contacting you again.

Well... I note on both eir.ie and on the openeir fibre roll out page that my line can now take 18Mb/s.  Yippee!!! I thought, but unfortunately no!

Sky have informed me that they cannot upgrade my speed as eir has not informed sky of any line upgrade from the 3Mb/s line that I am currently on.

The autumn fibre upgrade is unlikely to affect me as sky do not supply FTTH (the sky rep informed me just now that they are not even having discussions with eir regarding this), only FTTC.  I am unlikely going to go with sky FTTC in the autumn as they will extend my contract for a year.  I will just wait until early Jan (when my sky sub is up) and return to eir who can provide me with proper fibre.

So, it would be advantageous if eir could inform sky of the DSL upgrade so that I can have a better service until I return back to eir.

Yours in hope
    Hi ads20101,

Thanks for getting back in touch with us. Glad to hear you're coming back to us when fibre broadband is available to you. 

In regards to your DSL query, I'm afraid we would be unable to contact your current provider in about this.  I'm afraid you would need to get back in touch with your current provider to see if they can increase your broadband speeds as, because you're not a customer with us, we wouldn't be able to check your line for you.

Sorry I can't do more for you here.

-Adam

• Advertisement

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi Eir Reps,

Yours in hope
    Hi ads20101,

Thanks for getting back in touch with us. Glad to hear you're coming back to us when fibre broadband is available to you. 

In regards to your DSL query, I'm afraid we would be unable to contact your current provider in about this.  I'm afraid you would need to get back in touch with your current provider to see if they can increase your broadband speeds as, because you're not a customer with us, we wouldn't be able to check your line for you.

Sorry I can't do more for you here.

-Adam
    Thanks for getting back to me Adam

I suspected as much - but the sky rep asked me to contact eir as they manage the exchanges and provide sky with the line data.  To be honest I think that she just wanted me off the phone.

However, I presume that I am correct when I say that eir receive the same line information from open eir as sky do, at the same time?  I would be grateful if you could clarify this as I am going to go back to sky again today.

Advertisement