Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB in Kilmihil

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

ads20101 wrote: »
    eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi Eir Reps,

As I have said earlier, I am currently subscribed to sky as my ISP.  Additionally, my exchange area is due to go FTTC & FTTH in the autumn, so I suspect you are wondering why I am contacting you again.

Well... I note on both eir.ie and on the openeir fibre roll out page that my line can now take 18Mb/s.  Yippee!!! I thought, but unfortunately no!

Sky have informed me that they cannot upgrade my speed as eir has not informed sky of any line upgrade from the 3Mb/s line that I am currently on.

The autumn fibre upgrade is unlikely to affect me as sky do not supply FTTH (the sky rep informed me just now that they are not even having discussions with eir regarding this), only FTTC.  I am unlikely going to go with sky FTTC in the autumn as they will extend my contract for a year.  I will just wait until early Jan (when my sky sub is up) and return to eir who can provide me with proper fibre.

So, it would be advantageous if eir could inform sky of the DSL upgrade so that I can have a better service until I return back to eir.

Yours in hope
    Hi ads20101,

Thanks for getting back in touch with us. Glad to hear you're coming back to us when fibre broadband is available to you. 

In regards to your DSL query, I'm afraid we would be unable to contact your current provider in about this.  I'm afraid you would need to get back in touch with your current provider to see if they can increase your broadband speeds as, because you're not a customer with us, we wouldn't be able to check your line for you.

Sorry I can't do more for you here.

-Adam
    Thanks for getting back to me Adam

I suspected as much - but the sky rep asked me to contact eir as they manage the exchanges and provide sky with the line data.  To be honest I think that she just wanted me off the phone.

However, I presume that I am correct when I say that eir receive the same line information from open eir as sky do, at the same time?  I would be grateful if you could clarify this as I am going to go back to sky again today.
    No problem at all.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to comment on the speeds that a different service provider can give you. The speeds that we provide online are 'up to' speeds and these are not guaranteed.

However, I can confirm that they do use the same infrastructure as us.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Hi Eir Reps,

As I have said earlier, I am currently subscribed to sky as my ISP.  Additionally, my exchange area is due to go FTTC & FTTH in the autumn, so I suspect you are wondering why I am contacting you again.

Well... I note on both eir.ie and on the openeir fibre roll out page that my line can now take 18Mb/s.  Yippee!!! I thought, but unfortunately no!

Sky have informed me that they cannot upgrade my speed as eir has not informed sky of any line upgrade from the 3Mb/s line that I am currently on.

The autumn fibre upgrade is unlikely to affect me as sky do not supply FTTH (the sky rep informed me just now that they are not even having discussions with eir regarding this), only FTTC.  I am unlikely going to go with sky FTTC in the autumn as they will extend my contract for a year.  I will just wait until early Jan (when my sky sub is up) and return to eir who can provide me with proper fibre.

So, it would be advantageous if eir could inform sky of the DSL upgrade so that I can have a better service until I return back to eir.

Yours in hope
    Hi ads20101,

Thanks for getting back in touch with us. Glad to hear you're coming back to us when fibre broadband is available to you. 

In regards to your DSL query, I'm afraid we would be unable to contact your current provider in about this.  I'm afraid you would need to get back in touch with your current provider to see if they can increase your broadband speeds as, because you're not a customer with us, we wouldn't be able to check your line for you.

-Adam

I suspected as much - but the sky rep asked me to contact eir as they manage the exchanges and provide sky with the line data.  To be honest I think that she just wanted me off the phone.

However, I presume that I am correct when I say that eir receive the same line information from open eir as sky do, at the same time?  I would be grateful if you could clarify this as I am going to go back to sky again today.
    No problem at all.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to comment on the speeds that a different service provider can give you. The speeds that we provide online are 'up to' speeds and these are not guaranteed.

- Adam
    Thanks Adam,

I didn't really want a speed estimate (I received that from eir's and openeir's website's.  

What I am really asking is, as openeir are managing common infrastructure do they release update information to all ISP's that use the infrastructure at the same time, or do eir have access to it first and then it is distributed to the others?

Hi Eir Reps,

Yours in hope
    Hi ads20101,

-Adam

No problem at all.

- Adam
    Thanks Adam,

I didn't really want a speed estimate (I received that from eir's and openeir's website's.  

What I am really asking is, as openeir are managing common infrastructure do they release update information to all ISP's that use the infrastructure at the same time, or do eir have access to it first and then it is distributed to the others?
    We wouldn't have first access to this information. When your lines are upgraded open eir should inform every service provider who are using this infrastructure of the latest upgrades.

- Adam

Thanks Adam,

That's all the information that I needed to progress.

Cheers

Thanks Adam,

That's all the information that I needed to progress.

Cheers
    No problem at all.

- Adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

just checked the map ... 

is this true ???

Yes, it's true.

FTTC is live - I have been told by eir & Sky that I can now get 18Mb/s.

An eir Rep came to my door. I asked him why was I been offered a low speed as I only live 400 meters from the exchange. He explained that my line goes 'around the village '.

My Sky contract is up in Jan. They have stated that if I go for FTTC then I will have to sign up for another 12 months, and my sub will increase. I asked if my ADSL speed could be increased but they said it couldn't. They also said that they have no plans to sell FTTH that is due to be here by the end of the year.

So..... I find myself in a bit of a bind.

As my preference is FTTH, I have to wait until Jan. At that point FTTH should by live, where I plan to leave sky and return to eir.

In the meantime I have to endure 2.6Mb/s while my neighbours are getting far faster speeds.

Ah.... after all of this waiting, a few more months won't make any difference.

Sky are pure evil.  i'd ditch that and go with eir directly.  you'd get the 18Mb now and then upgrade to FTTH.. 

.. its only been 6 years since i started this thread !

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

Hi, Is there any way of getting an update on the roll out for FTTH. One Eir website suggests 6 months to a year. Another suggests Autumn 2017. Maps attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

browneire wrote: »
    Hi, Is there any way of getting an update on the roll out for FTTH. One Eir website suggests 6 months to a year. Another suggests Autumn 2017. Maps attached.
    Ignore the Eir site, only OpenEirs maps matter. 

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flesheatingbug

ED E wrote: »
    browneire wrote: »
    Ignore the Eir site, only OpenEirs maps matter. 
    that site just redirects to the eir site, which has changed from autumn 2017 to autumn/winter 2017, which isn't encouraging 

Yeah, I noticed that a couple of weeks ago.

Not surprised TBH

As long as it's sorted by mid Jan (that's when my current ISP contract is up)

;)

IT'S DONE!!!

Openeir have upgraded the Kilmihil exchange

FTTC now online up to 70Mb/s (Due to my line distance I can get 25 down / 7 up)

FTTH due within the next few months (but only if I move back to eir).

After all of this time Kilmihil has a decent service

6857916540.png

wow... 

but i bet where my old house is the speed is almost nothing and not only that, but it probably won't get FTTH either!

SIRO is installing on my road here in Ennis.  looking forward to 1Gbps very soon :)

only took almost 7 years to do too.. how bad !

sibergoth wrote: »
    Yes - and to make matters worse, if I remember rightly, it was a major factor in you and your family leaving the village.

I wonder how much rural damage has been done due to governmental delays and inaction!!

Yes - and to make matters worse, if I remember rightly, it was a major factor in you and your family leaving the village.

I wonder how much rural damage has been done due to governmental delays and inaction!!
    that and the spiders :) 

FINALLY! i'm getting 1000Mbps SIRO installed tomorrow morning!  can't wait !!! :) 

FINALLY! i'm getting 1000Mbps SIRO installed tomorrow morning!  can't wait !!! :) 

Hopefully it goes better than the FTTH open eir installs

I have a friend in bushypark, Ennis.

She has been messed around something chronic.

She’s up to 5 no-shows + app’s than have been pointless as the people didn’t know what they were doing. The best one was the eir chap turning up to connect the modem but was unaware that another eir colleague hadn’t put the fibre through the right duct.

I’m glad I went with FTTC for a year until eir figure out what they’re doing.

I won’t have a choice like you in Ennis with siro/ openeir / virgin. Only open eir here for the foreseeable.

• Advertisement

oh that's no good !

my sister got SIRO on the other side of town, no problems at all... 

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/29682811

this is quite amazing !

I have uploaded my consciousness to the internet :)

Advertisement