Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB in Kilmihil

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

iPhone. wrote: »
    Hi Mark,

Would you happen to have a link to this latest NGB roll out list please?
    It list is a secret. How many exchanges are programmed for NGB in the next 3 months Mark. 1?? 5??? 35??? ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Hi ads20101

I understand that this situation is not ideal and can be very disappointingfor you however as we have advised previously there are no plans in place for the kilmihil exchange and there are is no process or procedure to expedite or escalate a request for an exchange to be upgraded to NGB.

Regards

Al
    That sounds a bit harsh Alan and also a bit final.

I wasn't meaning to be overly critical but by my nature I like to explore options.  

I have dealt with, what seemed at the time, insurmountable problems before that were only resolved by identifying the particular manager responsible for the problem and writing to them directly.   I suppose that in hindsight it was rather naive for me to think that you, as a fellow eircom employee, would give me those kind of details, but I would like to say that this is what I intend to do.

If anyone else has this information please post or pm me.

I feel a campaign afoot......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

ads20101 wrote: »
    That sounds a bit harsh Alan and also a bit final.

I wasn't meaning to be overly critical but by my nature I like to explore options.  

I have dealt with, what seemed at the time, insurmountable problems before that were only resolved by identifying the particular manager responsible for the problem and writing to them directly.   I suppose that in hindsight it was rather naive for me to think that you, as a fellow eircom employee, would give me those kind of details, but I would like to say that this is what I intend to do.

If anyone else has this information please post or pm me.

I feel a campaign afoot......

Hi Guys,

I appreciate that our replies regarding NGB roll out and planned exchanges can come accross as vague.

However until we are certain that an exchange is going to be Next Generation Broadband enabled and we get direct confirmation. We are not going to post indications or dates (that can always be subject to change).

As customers will understandably be more frustrated if we quoted information regarding exchanges or time-frames that are not met,

I apologise ads20101  If Al's reply came across harsh, I know that was not his intent. In relation to the roll-out of NGB we can never state with any finality that an exchange / area wont be migrated as work is continually ongoing.

However at times we may have no new information regarding an exchange or area regarding upgrades. So our reply may the same as the one before.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Hi Guys,

I appreciate that our replies regarding NGB roll out and planned exchanges can come accross as vague.

However until we are certain that an exchange is going to be Next Generation Broadband enabled and we get direct confirmation. We are not going to post indications or dates (that can always be subject to change).

As customers will understandably be more frustrated if we quoted information regarding exchanges or time-frames that are not met,

I apologise ads20101  If Al's reply came across harsh, I know that was not his intent. In relation to the roll-out of NGB we can never state with any finality that an exchange / area wont be migrated as work is continually ongoing.

However at times we may have no new information regarding an exchange or area regarding upgrades. So our reply may the same as the one before.

Thanks, Mark
    Eircom have no problem posting information regarding exchanges and time frames for their much self publicised Fibre Broadband rollout, why the double standards when it comes to posting details for the 'for too long neglected' rural exchanges awaiting upgrade to even lowly by todays standards NGB?

Eircom have no problem posting information regarding exchanges and time frames for their much self publicised Fibre Broadband rollout, why the double standards when it comes to posting details for the 'for too long neglected' rural exchanges awaiting upgrade to even lowly by todays standards NGB?

Hi iPhone.

When NGB was first being rolled out there was a page on our website (as a guideline) to check availability and future roll out plans.

However as I stated in the previous post. If an exchange was not migrated to NGB as indicated, customers did get understandably frustrated. As such eircom decided to discontinue that site.

Again the forum board we set up is a guideline for the fibre roll out plan and the areas in which fibre will be rolled out (from the press release information that was made public).

As with the NGB roll out initially the fibre roll-out dates "are subject to change" however it is available to give a guideline for customers to check availability.

Unfortunately for the reasons outlined in my previous post it is not practical to have an online guide for future NGB roll out.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

I'd say we'll get LTE sooner than the DSL is updated....  I give up :(

Hi iPhone.

When NGB was first being rolled out there was a page on our website (as a guideline) to check availability and future roll out plans.

However as I stated in the previous post. If an exchange was not migrated to NGB as indicated, customers did get understandably frustrated. As such eircom decided to discontinue that site.

Again the forum board we set up is a guideline for the fibre roll out plan and the areas in which fibre will be rolled out (from the press release information that was made public).

As with the NGB roll out initially the fibre roll-out dates "are subject to change" however it is available to give a guideline for customers to check availability.

Unfortunately for the reasons outlined in my previous post it is not practical to have an online guide for future NGB roll out.

Thanks, Mark
    Are you serious?

Why would the expectation and reaction of a customer looking for information about Fibre Broadband be different from those of a customer looking for information about NGB?

Yet you choose to provide information to one group and not the other, as I said 'Double Standards'.

Are you serious?

Why would the expectation and reaction of a customer looking for information about Fibre Broadband be different from those of a customer looking for information about NGB?

Yet you choose to provide information to one group and not the other, as I said 'Double Standards'.

Hi iPhone.

I appreciate your point, at the moment because the Phase 1 and 2 of the fibre roll-out is commencing soon. There are a number of exchanges and areas that are going to be enabled and migrated with a short period of time (As was the case with the NGB Roll out initiallaly) We are giving a guideline for customer to check (again as eircom did when NGB was released)

I apologise if you interpret it as "double standards" The information for Initial phases of the Fibre roll-our are very similar to how eircom advised of the NGB roll out / availability when it was being launched.

Thanks, Mark

sibergoth wrote: »
    hi,

eircom installed DSL in my exchange last August... after about 8 years of me asking !!

they could only offer me 2.55Mb/s
    so they would only give me 30GB per month!

so i moved to Vodafone who let me choose how much data i want.. much better

so - a while ago eircom called me to see if i wanted to go back to them !! i said give me NGB and we'll talk.. they checked and said that my exchange was planned for November 2011...

i am HIGHLY skeptical of that !!! and i don't see any mention of it on the eircom web site map..

i wonder if anyone has any data on NGB plans that aren't advertised??

i'm actually just about ok on the speed i have currently, but its one of those 'would be nice' things .... 8Mb would be better !
    i thought that i'd just commemorate that it is 2 years to the day that sibergoth started this thread.

Despite several active posters supporting this issue and showing that there is an active demand in this area eircom have come back again and again with dismissive rhetoric.

There is no evidence that the reps here can do anything about our cause or that they have referred this to anyone else in the company.

The whole infrastructure in Ireland has been woefully mismanaged with our average broadband speeds way behind our cousins in the north at 14.4 Mbps.

As I have said before, I really have my doubts that anything will get done here except that the eircom reps will eventually get cheesed off with us, but I would just like to say that its nothing personal its just that we just want a broadband that has moderately ok speeds (personally I'd be ok with 8Mbps).

Anyway, as I've said this is not directed at anyone in particular as the reps will just spout the same old answer, but this thread is now 2 years old and I don't know about the rest of you but I'm in no mood to give up on anything less we deserve in a technically modern society.

i thought that i'd just commemorate that it is 2 years to the day that sibergoth started this thread.

Despite several active posters supporting this issue and showing that there is an active demand in this area eircom have come back again and again with dismissive rhetoric.

There is no evidence that the reps here can do anything about our cause or that they have referred this to anyone else in the company.

The whole infrastructure in Ireland has been woefully mismanaged with our average broadband speeds way behind our cousins in the north at 14.4 Mbps.

As I have said before, I really have my doubts that anything will get done here except that the eircom reps will eventually get cheesed off with us, but I would just like to say that its nothing personal its just that we just want a broadband that has moderately ok speeds (personally I'd be ok with 8Mbps).

Anyway, as I've said this is not directed at anyone in particular as the reps will just spout the same old answer, but this thread is now 2 years old and I don't know about the rest of you but I'm in no mood to give up on anything less we deserve in a technically modern society.

Hi ads20101,

I completely understand the frustration as there has been no news or indications for over two years.

However We will continue to monitor the NGB roll-out updates and let you know if there is an news about the Kilmihil exchange being NGB enabled on this thread.

Feel free to check back with us at any time.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

My posts also are not directed in any way at the Reps on here, but I'm sure you know that guys.

In relation to Fibre broadband information being divulged in the same way NGB inrformation was previously and touting this as some sort of justification for doing things this way is totally incredible.

Basically it would appear you are saying Eircom weren't happy with how things went with NGB but are doing the same thing this time around with Fibre Broadband out of 'Fairness' to the customer and will then if you follow it to a logical conclusion, do the exact same thing of pulling the plug when Fibre Broadband customers start to sound off about their expectations based on Eircom Promises.

so.... !  how are we doing on this ?!
    Can anyone explain why Cooraclare of all places was on the fibre map a long time ago, but Kilmihil wasn't ?
    I can only assume that a minister or someone lives there... ??

As I have probably stated in this thread already, I am a techy and I work from home and I only just managed to scrape by the qualifications for getting working from home status from my employer with the current 'broadband' speeds I can get here in Kilmihil.

The ridiculous situation is that now my phone line itself has been upgraded and is capable of decent enough speeds (12Mbps) the exchange isn't !

I remember working in Ennis over 10 years ago and thinking that 2Mbps was great...  well,  it isn't anymore !

I'm waiting on the 'minimum 30Mbps to every house, no matter how rural' promise of the Rabbit dude.........

*sigh*

by the way - Vodafone have updated their website a little in response to some Fibre roll out... so I just did another landline check on their site to see what speed they now say i can get...  

it now says 'up to 24Mbps'

I assume that the Kilmihil exchange has NOT been upgraded in the last month??   And that 'up to' in this case means '2.55Mbps if you are lucky and a stunningly bad 0.3Mbps up'

?

Has anyone else noticed that we are getting some congestion at peak times. 

I have noticed that my usually consistant 2.55Mbps now dips well below 1 at certain times before coming back.

I suppose that increased streaming is to blame - but I won't blame anyone as I'm a pretty heavy user myself.

The point I'm really getting at is that our 2-3Mbps lines are no longer fit for purpose.

The Internet has moved dramatically forward but the exchanges have not.

I just hope that the trend doesn't go as far as making the line unusable at peak times.

yes, as more people sign up the exchange gets more congested and less able to cope..   it's everyones right to use the bandwidth provided to them... 
    just more evidence that we need the exchange upgraded to fibre !!

I still have to resort to using my iPhone as a tethered wifi hotspot if i actually want to upload anything (I'm a semi pro photographer on the side and need to upload high quality images frequently) as the pathetic 0.3 Mbps up is just a joke now.

it's quite telling that i often get better speeds from my mobile phone than from my ADSL connection...

seriously, what can be done about this?
    a petition to eircom from the village people?  (not the 70s band obviously)

if enough people showed interest in fibre here, would eircom consider running a short line from Kilrush up to us ?

9:23am. Wednesday morning

Vodafone ADSL

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2723899477.png

9:27am

iPhone tethered, using three network (i can see the top of the antenna from my window)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2723903749.png

sibergoth wrote: »
    yes, as more people sign up the exchange gets more congested and less able to cope..   it's everyones right to use the bandwidth provided to them... 
    just more evidence that we need the exchange upgraded to fibre !!

I still have to resort to using my iPhone as a tethered wifi hotspot if i actually want to upload anything (I'm a semi pro photographer on the side and need to upload high quality images frequently) as the pathetic 0.3 Mbps up is just a joke now.

it's quite telling that i often get better speeds from my mobile phone than from my ADSL connection...

seriously, what can be done about this?
    a petition to eircom from the village people?  (not the 70s band obviously)

if enough people showed interest in fibre here, would eircom consider running a short line from Kilrush up to us ?
    LOL Sibergoth - I can totally relate to that.

If I need to upload more than a couple of good quality pics I have long given up on my ADSL.  iPhone tethering is the only appropriate way.

As for a petition, I would be well up for that.  However due to recent congestion I reckon that eircom are fully aware of the high demand on this exchange.   With them not doing anything about kind of tells me that eircom have no inclination to do anything even if we protest.

Anyway, I will do the same as you now.  I will post an ADSL speed check then a cellular one.

2723937126.png
    ADSL - To be honest this is as good as it gets - never had a higher reading (Ive had lower pings though)

2723943035.png
    so this is my tethered link with the 3 network - significantly faster.  I would also like to note that I have had it above 10Mbs at night.

Just noted I forgot to enter the times of the test:

ADSL - 09:51am

Cellular - 09:55am

• Advertisement

Do you know what sibergoth I've just noticed that both of our ADSL tests are showing a D- quality grade.

It always used to be an A or a B.

I wonder what that is all about?

Is there works going on eircom reps?  What would cause a reduction in quality when nothing has changed in the house and a second person in the village has the same low quality?

Good job I'm not gaming today.

Do you know what sibergoth I've just noticed that both of our ADSL tests are showing a D- quality grade.

It always used to be an A or a B.

I wonder what that is all about?

Is there works going on eircom reps?  What would cause a reduction in quality when nothing has changed in the house and a second person in the village has the same low quality?

Good job I'm not gaming today.

Hi ads20101

There has been no change to the service, network or line. I am unable to verify why there is a change in the speed test you are using I'm afraid.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I have just rechecked using a ping check and it states the line is now back up to a B rating.

I reckon it would be superb with fibre.

Any chance?

just typed a big long rant and then accidentally deleted it before posting !!  doh! hate that.

but anyway.....  

My office is in Limerick, 45 miles away from my house.  A round trip of 90 miles give or take.
    I can work from home at the moment, based on my employer just about approving the pathetic broadband speed I have here - only approved because I was able to convince the IT people that I was techy enough to deal with the limitations and work around them.

Most Irish employers do not allow working from home with any less than 6Mbps ADSL (not to mention the upload speed which is more important to be honest)

If my exchange is not upgraded soon (as IT restate their minimum requirements) I could be faced with driving to Limerick every day again...  Something I do not relish, 3 - 4 hours a day of commute and around €80 a week JUST in diesel costs, not to mention wear and tear on the car etc.

That's around €4,000 a year in fuel alone.  (if the fuel prices stay the same)

I can't sell the house and move closer to Limerick and to be honest I don't want to !!! 

I just wish the country would understand the reasons for the ADSL infrastructure to be upgraded in rural areas SOON!!!     This is not a whim or a desire to play games or watch YouTube faster... this is a REAL need and is absolutely essential for Ireland's continued growth as an IT friendly place to live and work.

I shall try and start a Facebook group and get numbers for some kind of petition or something !!

Please join this group on Facebook !

https://www.facebook.com/FasterInternetKilmihil

still no change on exchange upgrade ??

Hi ads20101,

I completely understand the frustration as there has been no news or indications for over two years.

However We will continue to monitor the NGB roll-out updates and let you know if there is an news about the Kilmihil exchange being NGB enabled on this thread.

Feel free to check back with us at any time.

Thanks, Mark

any updates Mark ? 

had a problem on my line this morning and just had eircom check the line.  It's fine and he said its testing 100% good now, but he couldn't tell me what the speed of the exchange was.  but pretty obviously, still stuck at 2.55Mbps...

LTE / 4G will start rolling out in the Autumn, i'm pretty sure we'll get that here faster than the ADSL is upgraded... that's ridiculous but I can just see that happening.

I was very glad of my iPhone tether today because if i can't work from home it means a 100 mile round trip to the office in Limerick....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi,

There is still no update on when your exchange will be enabled, I have checked the roll out list for 2013 and it is not on this I'm afraid.

The maximum speed of your exchange is 'up to' 3mb so the speed results you are getting would be correct.

I understand this must be very frustrating and I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks

Tracey

Funny, but I was just about to ask for an update today as well.

Shame about the news.

I agree that LTE is likely to arrive before any exchange upgrade.

The one thing is that I expect that there will be no upgrade by an established ISP as the government have stated that they will step in to cover the expense of upgrades in rural areas.  But they have to go through some kind of process first to prove that companies like eircom and Vodafone et al can not do this profitably so that they don't break EU rules.

Maybe the reps here know more about this?

• Advertisement

*sigh*

What I don't understand is why Cooraclare is on the fibre map for 2014!

Kilmihil is a village of approx 650 or 1000 people I imagine if you take the wider catchment area...

Cooraclare has about 140 people... how is that a viable Fibre area?

and surely it would be easy enough to lay a small bit of fibre from there to here... ?! (probably about 7 or 8 km)

from Wikipedia regarding Cooraclare:
    There is about 140 people living in the village. Famous people include Fianna Fáil Senator and former Minister For Social Welfare & Defence Brendan Daly and Tom Morrissey who played football for Clare in the 1992 Munster Senior Football Championship Final. (Beating Kerry)

is that why ??

you have to be a politician to get a decent internet connection ?

Advertisement