Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB in Kilmihil

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Ive been wondering about that for a while too.

If what you suggest is true sibergoth then this is an absolute scandle as it constitutes not just a waste of money but an almighty mismanagement of resources.

There must be something of public record somewhere ie minutes etc.

I am surprised that the Clare champion or the Clare people haven't questioned this, but to be honest in my experience neither are brilliant at investigate journalism.

Damn - I'm cheesed off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

ads20101 wrote: »
    Funny, but I was just about to ask for an update today as well.

Shame about the news.

I agree that LTE is likely to arrive before any exchange upgrade.

The one thing is that I expect that there will be no upgrade by an established ISP as the government have stated that they will step in to cover the expense of upgrades in rural areas.  But they have to go through some kind of process first to prove that companies like eircom and Vodafone et al can not do this profitably so that they don't break EU rules.

Maybe the reps here know more about this?
    You'd imagine there will be a lot of equipment being stripped from exchanges that are currently being upgraded to 'efibre' which surely could be deployed to the rural exchanges by Eircom at negligible cost to at least bring them to the 'up to 24Mbs' level.

But then again they never have bothered about the fact they are bending the rural communities over and giving them one with their extortionate fees for a crap service so I don't foresee any change anytime soon there. I once inquired from Eircom here on boards and was told they couldn't give the folk in the country areas a better pricing structure because they weren't allowed by Comreg! Figure that one out for warped logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

Ive been wondering about that for a while too.

If what you suggest is true sibergoth then this is an absolute scandle as it constitutes not just a waste of money but an almighty mismanagement of resources.

There must be something of public record somewhere ie minutes etc.

I am surprised that the Clare champion or the Clare people haven't questioned this, but to be honest in my experience neither are brilliant at investigate journalism.

Damn - I'm cheesed off

sure isn't it always the way, you know if a minister or someone important lives in a rural location by the quality of the roads nearby!

I found this website today, http://irelandoffline.org
    I'm going to see if those lads can either help, or help to find out why exactly the fibre rollout plan for Clare is as it is..

by the way, my facebook page about getting faster internet for Kilmihil has only ONE like !!   so i guess most people here don't care or don't understand the problem / benefits that fibre or even NGB would bring :(

@ 'iPhone' interesting point about spare kit from the fibre upgrades...  it probably wouldn't cost much to upgrade our exchange.

don't know if i mentioned this before but when I spoke to an eircom engineer a while back he said 'if it wasn't for broadband we'd have no job now'
    I completely agree, who bothers with a land line these days ?? 
    so - I can't understand the reluctancy of eircom to just upgrade every damn exchange to at least NGB.

the latest propaganda from the government is a complete waste of money, time, energy... they need to stop worrying about people who don't know what a computer is and try to at least service the people who do !!

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres...forIreland.pdf

sibergoth wrote: »

by the way, my facebook page about getting faster internet for Kilmihil has only ONE like !!   so i guess most people here don't care or don't understand the problem / benefits that fibre or even NGB would bring :(

Just been onto your fb page.

Looks like there are 9 likes now

I hope the traction keeps up

Just found out that our exchange is already enabled for 24Mbps...  
    but it's throttled down to 3Mbps ... probably because the back link to Ennis or wherever the pipe goes is not capable of handling the data in theory ... 

eircom - can you please comment on this ?

• Advertisement

Just found out that our exchange is already enabled for 24Mbps...  
    but it's throttled down to 3Mbps ... probably because the back link to Ennis or wherever the pipe goes is not capable of handling the data in theory ... 

eircom - can you please comment on this ?

How did you find this out?

Is it in public record that we can use or is it from a telecom worker.

If its the latter then I completely understand if you need to keep your source secret.

there's a couple of web sites set up by Ireland Offline that show very detailed info about all the various ISP services in a given area.
    very good map.

http://metaphor.zapto.org/mapping/

clearly showing the Kilmihil exchange as 24Mb...!  the consensus is that it must be throttled due to the back link not being able to cope  ...

there's a couple of web sites set up by Ireland Offline that show very detailed info about all the various ISP services in a given area.
    very good map.

http://metaphor.zapto.org/mapping/

clearly showing the Kilmihil exchange as 24Mb...!  the consensus is that it must be throttled due to the back link not being able to cope  ...
    Had a look at the map and Ireland offline in general.

Damn informative.

Yes, it does appear you are right about our local exchange being able to 24 mb/s - but still not sure why eircom would not increase it if they were able to do so.  Surely it would make their stats look better?

However, that wasn't the most surprising piece of info on that site - I had no idea that both ripplecom & permanet both transmit to the area.

I know the latency for these providers is normally poor, but their upload speeds beat the pants of eircom & vodafone.  Just thinking that this maybe another option from someone working from home.

yeah i didn't know about Permanet.  Worth a look into....  BUT..  they have a cap on bandwidth on all their deals.  even the most expensive is capped at 60GB on their business package.

Right now I have unlimited with vodafone for €35 a month all in...   I'd double that cost going to Permanet...

eircom,

could you please take a look at the exchange in Kilmihil and confirm if it is ADSL2 enabled at 24Mbps and if so, why is our service throttled down to a ridiculous 3Mbps ?

thanks.

• Advertisement

yeah i didn't know about Permanet.  Worth a look into....  BUT..  they have a cap on bandwidth on all their deals.  even the most expensive is capped at 60GB on their business package.

Right now I have unlimited with vodafone for €35 a month all in...   I'd double that cost going to Permanet...
    That is true, 

Their caps and pricing appear to be prohibitively expensive in the current climate.

I changed my tariff with vodafone lately and I now pay €37

For this I get:
    • Unlimited broadband (fair usage 300GB)
    • 100 anytime mins to Irish mobiles or landlines
    • 200 offpeak mins to vodafone mobiles (although very few of my family & friends have a vodafone mobile)
    • Unlimited offpeak landline calls (local or national)
    • Unlimited offpeak calls to uk landlines.

I tried everywhere else to beat this one including sky & eircom, but they couldn't beat it.

Hi Reps,

Just following on from sibergoths requests posted on 11/7/13, 13/7/13 & 16/7/13 - all of which appear to have been unanswered or ignored.

Just to clarify I would like answers to the following questions:

• Why does there appear to be a fibre spur to cooraclare, despite it being (approx) a fifth of the size (pop) of of Kilmihil.  I do not understand the rational of this especially as eircom do not appear to have any plans to bring fibre to this area.
    • Why does the Ireland offline map appear to show Kilmihil exchange capable of distributing a 24mb/s connection?  Have they got this wrong because if they have I will let them know.

I presume that you have not answered these questions already because you needed time to investigate the matter yourselves, but like sibergoth I would also really like answers to these questions.

hi ads20101,

I think I have found out what the problem is for our exchange anyway...

Although our exchange is indeed enabled for 24Mbps links, the problem is that the backhaul link to Kilrush is a wireless transmitter with only 16Mb of bandwidth!

this is to share for the whole village... 

That's why they throttle our connections to 3Mbps each, as the pipe just couldn't handle any more.

I've done some quick and dirty maths... 

if the contention ratio is 24:1* and the pipe is 16Mb and each connection is limited to 3Mbps, that gives us about 120 or so connections before the pipe is at maximum capacity... (in theory obviously)

as Kilmihil has a population of around 650 and probably minimal take up of the ADSL I imagine we will never even hit that capacity limit, so little or no reason for eircom to boost that back haul speed to Kilrush...

however - the governments alleged policy of giving everyone 30Mbps no matter how rural is obviously going to fall over when it gets to Kilmihi... 

so what do we do ??    

I guess there is some possible hope that when Kilrush goes to fibre next year they may generally boost the speeds that feed into Kilrush ???

*if the contention ratio is 48:1 then we are screwed.......... !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Reps,

Just following on from sibergoths requests posted on 11/7/13, 13/7/13 & 16/7/13 - all of which appear to have been unanswered or ignored.

Just to clarify I would like answers to the following questions:

Why does there appear to be a fibre spur to cooraclare, despite it being (approx) a fifth of the size (pop) of of Kilmihil.  I do not understand the rational of this especially as eircom do not appear to have any plans to bring fibre to this area.
    Why does the Ireland offline map appear to show Kilmihil exchange capable of distributing a 24mb/s connection?  Have they got this wrong because if they have I will let them know.

I presume that you have not answered these questions already because you needed time to investigate the matter yourselves, but like sibergoth I would also really like answers to these questions.

Hi ads20101

As previously advised by eircom reps on this thread, we are unable tocomment on the eircoms infrastructural planning process in such detail and we are unable to comment on the reasoning behind operational or infrastructural specifications and decisions to the level upon which you have requested. I understand this may seem evasive however as moderators we can only work with the information we have and there is no intention to come across this way.

Also, we are unable to comment on the Ireland online map as it is inno way affiliated with eircom however I can confirm that the Kilmihil exchange is certainly not capable of distributing a 24mb/s connection and in fact this remains at 3mb.

Thanks

Al

Hi Alan,

I realise that you can't comment on these type of infrastructure policies, but there are people who read these posts who do make the policies.

therefore it is very important to keep up the demand here for a better internet service in Kilmihil 
    (no doubt for many other small villages around the country too)

I'd like someone to clarify what eircom see as a viable business case to run a few miles of fibre up to Kilmihil from Kilrush next year ?

Probably down to Kilkee too - a huge holiday venue with thousands of tourists every summer...  no doubt the 3G towers are burning out down there now as everyone tries to post to facebook all at once... 

The government has made an (albeit vague) commitment to vastly boost the minimum speeds available to all.  So eventually this work will have to be done anyway.   Why not schedule it in for the same cable run as Kilrush ?

If Cooraclare does get fibre next year and Kilmihil doesn't there will be some serious questions to answer...

Hi Alan,

I realise that you can't comment on these type of infrastructure policies, but there are people who read these posts who do make the policies.

therefore it is very important to keep up the demand here for a better internet service in Kilmihil 
    (no doubt for many other small villages around the country too)

I'd like someone to clarify what eircom see as a viable business case to run a few miles of fibre up to Kilmihil from Kilrush next year ?

Probably down to Kilkee too - a huge holiday venue with thousands of tourists every summer...  no doubt the 3G towers are burning out down there now as everyone tries to post to facebook all at once... 

The government has made an (albeit vague) commitment to vastly boost the minimum speeds available to all.  So eventually this work will have to be done anyway.   Why not schedule it in for the same cable run as Kilrush ?

If Cooraclare does get fibre next year and Kilmihil doesn't there will be some serious questions to answer...

Hi sibergoth

Thanks for your understanding however it's our responsibility asmoderators/Representative to respond to your queries and I'm trying to convey that we do not have such information at our disposal which is why I am unable to answer your questions. I agree with you that it's important to keep a demand however I would like to request your understanding on our responses to the information you require.

Thanks

Al

OK, thanks.

I think the best thing you guys can do is make sure management are aware of our requests and concerns etc.
    I am a project manager at a large global IT company myself, I understand the hierarchy and procedure issues.  

cheers.
    Adam.

OK, thanks.

I think the best thing you guys can do is make sure management are aware of our requests and concerns etc.
    I am a project manager at a large global IT company myself, I understand the hierarchy and procedure issues.  

cheers.
    Adam.
    Hi sibergoth

I do really appreciate your understanding on this and I would like to assureyou that we regularly send feedback and concerns on to management and operations. I will be sure to include this thread as an example. I wish I could help more from here and I'm sorry I can't.

Thanks

Al

here we go again.

connecting at half speed and disconnecting every few minutes... 

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]ADSL Link[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Downstream[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Upstream[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Connection Speed[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]1344 kbps[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]128 kbps[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Line Attenuation[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]57.0 db[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]31.5 db[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Noise Margin[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]6.5 db[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]7 db
    [/font]

*sigh*

Doesn't sound good.  
    Just done a check myself:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2852046344

• Advertisement

Just checked again.

Looks ok now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Just checked again.

Looks ok now
    Hi ads20101

Thanks for getting back and updating the thread.

Mark

yesterday morning there may have been some kind of exchange work being done.. after a while it came back to the usual 2.55Mbps 
    meanwhile, my sister in Ennis is getting 50Mbps fibre installed today............

the average speed here getting slower and slower as more people use up the pathetic 16MB pipe..  barely getting 1Mbps these days...

worse now the kids are off from school....

Not just when the kids are at home.

Only since the beginning of this year I have noticed the speed dropping at times during the day.  

More and more people are choosing ADSL so I fear that our service will only deteriorate.

meanwhile, just 20 miles away in Ennis at my sisters house...

about 45Mbps down and 13Mbps up...

anyone got 30KM of ethernet cable ??

Just a pipe dream

You wouldn't need 20miles cable --- just the 10 to Kilrush.

And let us not forget that mysterious spur to cooraclare - only 5 miles away :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

seems like almost every morning now my modem has connected itself at a slower speed.  normal 'speed' is 3072 kbps and 384 kbps.

however it seems like the modem has not been able to negotiate full speed - so it's down to anything from 800kpbs to 1500 or so kbps.  This is similar to back when dialup could never negotiate the 56k so it usually connected at 36 or 48 or something...

for years i've never seen this kind of problem here, it's always been solid at 3072 and 384, but in the last couple of months i've seen lots of connection problems.

sometimes rebooting my modem fixes the problem, sometimes i have to power off and on and also unplug the phone cable,

sometimes I just have to wait a couple of hours and then the above...

I'm not sure what is going on here, my line tests good whenever i call vodafone support... 
    there's ONLY the modem plugged into the line, I have disconnected all phones etc and shortened the line internally to within 6 foot of the eircom box by the door...

can someone from eircom run a line test for me ?
    i'll PM the phone number if you can reply to this.

thanks

Advertisement