Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB in Kilmihil

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

I have just checked myself.

2.55 down
    0.3 up

Ping 80 

So apart from the latency everything appears normal at the moment.

Because we appear to have had similar results in the past it might be something local.

I know when I first got ADSL I had regular connection problems. I got eircom out and they changed the wire coming from the pole to my house.  No problems since.

Except the low speeds..... But this is an ongoing problem as you know

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

maybe my modem is flaky...  

i doubt it though, when it does connect at 'full speed' it usually works fine.  I had to ditch the vodafone modem provided as it hung every hour or so, complete waste of plastic that thing was..

I use a Netgear DG834G ADSL2+ Modem / Router.

it's been working constantly for about 3 years !

about the actual line, I have to assume that it's good, only a couple of months ago the eircom engineer came out and tested it all the way back to the exchange and it was perfect.  that's when i got the info on the line speed capability...  

in other news - we should start to see 4G rolling out in Ireland soon...   obviously that won't be in Kilmihil first, but i'm willing to bet that 4G will get to us before the ADSL is upgraded.

also - three.ie are offering a wifi modem that is capable of 28Mbps down ...  I wonder what the 3 mast here is capable of??   
    Using my iPhone 4S i have never got up above 8Mbps.    (I can see the mast from my house, I get a solid 5 bars) 
    the good 3G speed only happens when the kids are all asleep !  

maybe there is a three forum here i can ask in......

I use the 3 site all the time.  To be honest you should consider using that before even attempting threes absolutely dire phone service.

As for download I have got over 12 mbs on my iPhone 5 here (abit in the early hours).

wow, you wouldn't have a speedtest showing that would you ? 

Just gone through my archive - I have the ones I did in Ennis when I was at work. Some of them at 14!!!

can't get the ones from here at the mo.  now before I get accused of telling porkies it might be that I was teathering on the pc or iPad so I will have to check those also.

Anyway I will retake the test and I will publish.  If anything to embarrass encourage eircom into upgrading the substandard eircom exchange. 

• Advertisement

:)  

cheers. 

I wonder if the iPhone 5 has a better (or more suitable to three.ie frequency) ... I thought that the 4S was capable of up to 14.4Mbps at least...  but i've never seen above 8Mbps.. even in the middle of the night and with 5 bars signal...

may I ask whereabouts you are in the village ? do you have LOS to this mast ?

http://goo.gl/maps/mGdH7

sibergoth wrote: »
    cheers. 

I wonder if the iPhone 5 has a better (or more suitable to three.ie frequency) ... I thought that the 4S was capable of up to 14.4Mbps at least...  but i've never seen above 8Mbps.. even in the middle of the night and with 5 bars signal...

may I ask whereabouts you are in the village ? do you have LOS to this mast ?

http://goo.gl/maps/mGdH7
    I have a couple of houses and a few trees in the way, but yes if I stood on my roof I would should have line of sight 

i left my laptop connected to iPhone all night doing an auto speedtest every half hour, 
    testmy.net

never went above 6Mbps 

:(

and this morning I tried various tests with different servers on speedtest.net 
    never went about 8.2Mbps

I have to conclude that the iPhone 4S doesn't like the particular flavour of HSPA+ that three provide here......... 

in other news.  once again this morning i had to power cycle my modem to get full speed connection... 

*sigh*

I was interviewed for an article on rural broadband availability by the Irish Examiner on Friday.. I told the whole story of why we are stuck at a pathetic 2.55Mbps ADSL here and asked why Cooraclare is on the fibre map for 2014 from Kilrush...

I also described my experiences with fixed wireless, 3G and explained why satellite internet isn't an option.

I'll post when I know when the article will come out !

Superb that man...(I presume you're a chap - I apologise if I'm wrong!!!)

This has the potential to put the preverbial cat among the pigeons.

Reps, I also presume that your PRO / press officer has been also contacted on this matter - I wonder what ambiguous rhetoric has been spouted as a trivial defence (as PRO's are especially good at...)

• Advertisement

yes, a chap!  my name is Adam :)

indeed, when the guy from Ireland Offline asked me if I would participate i was skeptical at first, but he assured me that the article wasn't going to focus on downloading illegal movies or something, so i agreed..    I've done huge amounts of research on the subject and so I ranted for more or less 25 minutes at the poor fella (John Hearne of the Irish Examiner) about all the various problems we have here...

I made it clear that I believe the Governments polices are completely backwards and they don't understand the problems or the technology... I am sick of paying excessive amounts of tax (with new taxes added every week) to a government that has absolutely no clue, nor cares about,  what i need to do my job...

*sigh*

and just to be clear, I looked at the eircom fibre map again in detail... the Kilrush rollout due next year shows clearly that Cooraclare is still being hooked up, but Kilmihil isn't anywhere on the map... 

WHY!?

there's another anomalous little spike up to a place called Brisla ... I'd never heard of this place before !??  why would they be getting fibre?

what I can't understand is why wouldn't eircom run an extra few KM of fibre from Cooraclare up to the Kilmihil exchange ??  

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

what I can't understand is why wouldn't eircom run an extra few KM of fibre from Cooraclare up to the Kilmihil exchange ??  

There are exchanges that are already connected with fibre but there is no intention of bringing fibre out to cabs for housing estates, apparently ....  Newmarket being one that comes to mind ......  and Sixmilebridge also has fibre to the exchange, but no cabs due for another year or so.

Given those examples it is hardly surprising that non-fibre connected exchanges are not being upgraded   ;)

absolutely dreadful speed today.. under 1Mbps.

not amused.

strange, the vodafone speedtest node has vanished...   now i see dreadful speedtest results :(

Also not good this morning - around the 1mbs mark.

ping poor too.

kids on the line perhaps??

probably... can't wait till they go back to school!!  trying to work here .... this is ridiculous..

you might want to check page 13 of the Irish Examiner today !

I'm in it, moaning about the speed of the broadband here !

you might want to check page 13 of the Irish Examiner today !

I'm in it, moaning about the speed of the broadband here !

Nice one - impressive article:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/the-great-broadband-myth-241405.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Just read it now and looked at this thread to check if it was you.

Good piece - sums up the issue very well.

polaris68 wrote: »
    Just read it now and looked at this thread to check if it was you.

Good piece - sums up the issue very well.

Thanks. And today my ADSL is completely down !! Did I get cut off for moaning ??

• Advertisement

back up now.....!

Absolutely unusable slow internet today..  I'm seriously annoyed....  trying to catch up with work and going nowhere... 

:(

kids back to school... thank feck.

full 'speed' ahead... 

2939283267.png

I'm glad too but this doesn't change the fact that too many people are now subscribed to our eircom ADSL exchange for the amount of data it has coming into it.

Kids will come home, more people will subscribe - the problem will not get better until it is upgraded. 

Absolutely agree and I'm not going to stop moaning in as many places as i can think of until this is done !

Help!!!

Eircom, my ADSL appears down.

I still have a dial tone.

Please tell me that it's the local kilmihil exchange and everything will be ok shortly.

Just checked my settings - nothing has changed.  My pc can connect to the router but my router can't get an adsl connection.

Sibergoth or anyone else in the area.... do you have a connection? or is it just me?

Looks like its coming back on line -

Started off really slow - but appears to be getting better.

A 20 min outage - phew 

may have overreacted 

Sorry

yeah it happened to me to, right in the middle of an online meeting... 

NOT HAPPY!

this has been happening more often lately..  there was an outage on Sunday too.

*SIGH*

You know there was part of me having a rather delusional thought.

I was quietly hoping that it was off line due to eircom getting their act together, having a change of thought and were actively upgrading the exchange.

Thinking that when it came back it would whizz up to 7mb/s - see I'm not asking for much extra.

But..... in hindsight by delusion was almost sectionable..

• Advertisement

i've had that daydream too!  about as likely as winning the euromillions...  

*sigh*

Advertisement