Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB in Kilmihil

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

yes, so far anyway.

and this is a very recent thing !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭swoofer

but at least its there and could be a lifesaver,  3 do a great package,  and the coverage is very good by that map

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Meant to post this earlier....

2 days ago I noticed eircom network staff (not the normal van) around our exchange. 

Should've gone up to them and asked if it was anything to do with an exchange upgrade but I wimped out.

Anyway, I'll take any sliver of hope at this hope at this stage.

i've seen that a few times..  nothing ever came of it.

when you see the microwave link being pulled down you'll know something good is happening!   

meanwhile on Vodafone 4G:

3811720294.png

• Advertisement

Looking at the wholesale map it appears that there is a fibre link between miltown and mullagh.

I don't think we're next.

Ok......

I think we are a tad screwed.

Looking at the 3rd map on the wholesale page it appears that the following are next in line for fibre upgrade:

Mullagh
    Lahinch
    Ennistymon
    Kilfenora
    Lisdoonvarna
    Corofin
    Crusheen
    Miltown malbay

I hope it that no news is good news - no one seems to be coming back to me!

Anyway....

In regard to the post I popped up a few days ago I thought I'd pop up a link to the page referenced and a jpg of what I was saying.  Looking at this it appears that there is rather large gap around the middle part of west Clare.

But all may not be lost as the upgrades do not appear to include the ones under the national broadband plan:

List of Locations in Clare.
    · Ardnacrusha
    · Aughinish
    · Ballinruan
    · Ballycannan
    · Ballynacally
    · Ballyvaghan
    · Ballyvelaghan
    · Bealaclugga
    · Bodyke
    · Caher
    · Carran
    · Carrigaholt
    · Connolly
    · Coolmeen
    · Craggagh
    · Cranny
    · Creegh
    · Cross
    · Derragh
    · Doolin
    · Doonaha
    · Drumandoora
    · Drumdigus
    · Finvarra
    · Flagmount
    · Inagh
    · Kilbaha
    · Kilbane
    · Kilkee
    · Kilkishen
    · Killadysert
    · Killinaboy
    · Kilmaley

· Kilmihil
    · Kilmore
    · Kilmurry
    · Kilnamona
    · Kilshanny
    · Knock
    · Labasheeda
    · Liscasey
    · Lisdeen
    · Mahonburgh
    · Mauricesmills
    · Mountshannon
    · Moyasta
    · Newtown
    · Oatfield
    · O’Callaghansmills
    · Ogonnelloe
    · Querrin
    · Quilty
    · Ruan
    · Spanish Point
    · Tullig
    · Whitegate

[font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So following this I have a couple more questions:[/font]
    • [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is eircom involved in this?  if not who is?[/font]
    • [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is the role out time for this? - it appears that this list has been around for a while now![/font]
    [*]

[font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reps - as I have said before it is not my intention to come across as a nuisance but would you please have a look if there has been any further developments with the exchange or my previous query relating to my answer from com reg. [/font]

Hi Reps,

Just a quick note to see if you have had a change of heart.  I am not sure what I have done but you have ignored / refused to answer any of my questions since 10/8/14.

Wondering with all of the developments in the close surrounding areas is there any further update on the Kilmihil exchange?

seems that no one cares... 

probably time to start a new thread ?

• Advertisement

so, the US govt. has decided that 25Mbps is now the minimum speed (down) for qualifying as Broadband.  I'd agree.

This means that most of Ireland doesn't actually have broadband.   Kilmihil certainly doesn't.  The entire village doesn't have 25Mbps to share !

... and the government plan to get everyone up to 30Mbps ?   well, the fine print there suggests that roll out will complete around 2020.
    by 2020, Ennis and Limerick (etc etc) will be connected up to eircom's gigabit fibre to the home...   which will again, make Kilmihil look rather pathetic.

again, we are 5-10 years behind the rest of the country and no real plans to fix this.  The government bb plan is a joke.  Utterly useless for anywhere that isn't a city... 

Hi Reps,

Its been a couple of months since I've requested an update..... so here goes.

Can you tell me if there are any current plans to upgrade the kilmihil exchange.

Once again I've been seeing your broadband network contractors around the exchange and up poles over the last week so I am kind of hopeful.  Please don't dash my spirits once again :(

As you know - and I am sure your equipment tells you the same data (if you need corroboration) due to massive congestion at peak times there is no useful broadband (ie 0.3 - 0.5Mb/s d/l).  It would be really nice to be able to look forward to a time that I can use it in the evening.  However, another worrying development comes from my samknows data.  This shows clear evidence of an average speed deterioration over the past 8 months (the length of time I have had my box connected).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

ads20101 wrote: »
    Hi Reps,

Can you tell me if there are any current plans to upgrade the kilmihil exchange.

Once again I've been seeing your broadband network contractors around the exchange and up poles over the last week so I am kind of hopeful.  Please don't dash my spirits once again :(

As you know - and I am sure your equipment tells you the same data (if you need corroboration) due to massive congestion at peak times there is no useful broadband (ie 0.3 - 0.5Mb/s d/l).  It would be really nice to be able to look forward to a time that I can use it in the evening.  However, another worrying development comes from my samknows data.  This shows clear evidence of an average speed deterioration over the past 8 months (the length of time I have had my box connected).
    I will take a look again ads20101. Sorry that we have not been able to add any further information but we can only provide what is currently available, under current roll out, and have no info yet on next phases.
    I will chase current plans for kilmihil.
    Tony

I will take a look again ads20101. Sorry that we have not been able to add any further information but we can only provide what is currently available, under current roll out, and have no info yet on next phases.
    Tony

Thanks Tony, I will be interested what comes back. If you look on the map you will see that there is far less populated areas just a few miles away that have (or just about to have) far higher speeds. It appears that our exchange is being excluded from further development.

Tony

Thanks Tony,  I will be interested what comes back.  If you look on the map you will see that there is far less populated areas just a few miles away that have (or just about to have) far higher speeds. It appears that our exchange is being excluded from further development.
    Hi ads20101
    I suppose not included would be more exact than excluded, but I get your point. The reasons for which exchange / area was selected for inclusion in each roll out is unlikely to be made available, but I will chase for any information on future plans.
    I cannot promise that I will be able to get this at this point.
    Tony

I already know what the answer is..   for some bizarre reason Kilmihil is excluded from any planned rollouts, other than the 2020 government rural 30Mbps for all plan... which is an utterly worthless plan, considering that by 2020, most big towns in ireland will have eircom FTTH gigabit... 

our 30Mbps will again look pathetic compared to the gigabit elsewhere... 

meanwhile, 4G is sneaking up on us.  Vodafone already have a presence and I use it daily, but Three are also coming close.  I noticed last night 4G on the phone as I drove down to Kilrush... 4G with a decent 18-20Mbps up and down with unlimited data is something that might actually help... 

ADSL is pretty much doomed here.. unless a fibre cable is connected to the exchange, replacing the 16Mbps microwave link we currently have.

I think the network vans around lately are because of the water meters Andy... 

sibergoth wrote: »

I think the network vans around lately are because of the water meters Andy... 

Ah, well.... That's a shame!!

Hopefully the reps will come back with something positive.

Hi Reps,

Tony
    Tony - did you manage to find out the current plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Paddysniper

Hello.
    So basically vodafone called the other day to get us to renew a contract.
    The sales rep told me that vodafone will have fibre broadband for me in kilmihil in a few months. To which I replied more like a few years.
    Of course she couldn't promise anything.
    Total rubbish I presume?

Hello.
    So basically vodafone called the other day to get us to renew a contract.
    The sales rep told me that vodafone will have fibre broadband for me in kilmihil in a few months. To which I replied more like a few years.
    Of course she couldn't promise anything.
    Total rubbish I presume?

I would have my doubts about fibre in a few months, but it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that the exchange could have an adsl2 upgrade. I am awaiting some feedback from rep Tony who said he would look into the issue but he hasn't got back yet with an answer.

• Advertisement

absolute marketing bullsh1t and lies i'm afraid.
    carefully worded so not to be liable, but still, lies and more lies.

there will NOT be an upgrade here for at least 3 more years.

look at this for a laugh...
    Downstream throughput

1.10Mbps
    Average
    0.30Mbps Min

12am, Thu 19th Feb

2.56Mbps Max

6am, Sun 22nd Feb

Downstream throughput

1.10Mbps
    Average
    0.30Mbps Min

12am, Thu 19th Feb

2.56Mbps Max

6am, Sun 22nd Feb

These are my results from last month. Congestion continues to appear to be a massive issue.

1.24Mbps Average
    0.18Mbps Min 9pm, Tue 17th Feb
    2.57Mbps Max 2am, Mon 2nd Feb

Looks like if I want to use the net it has to be between 1am to 5am.

Oh.... And one other thing Tony the rep still hasn't got back with the update that he promised.

Downstream throughput

1.10Mbps
    Average
    0.30Mbps Min

12am, Thu 19th Feb

2.56Mbps Max

6am, Sun 22nd Feb

These are my results from last month.  Congestion continues to appear to be a massive issue.

1.24Mbps Average
    0.18Mbps Min 9pm, Tue 17th Feb
    2.57Mbps Max 2am, Mon 2nd Feb

Looks like if I want to use the net it has to be between 1am to 5am.

Oh.... And one other thing Tony the rep still hasn't got back with the update that he promised.
    Hi ads20101
    I am afraid that as yet we have no information on any work to this exchange. I have asked to be advised of any future plans but as this work is not currently scheduled we are unlikely to have any further update until later in year.
    Sorry news is not better.
    Tony

Hi ads20101
    I am afraid that as yet we have no information on any work to this exchange. I have asked to be advised of any future plans but as this work is not currently scheduled we are unlikely to have any further update until later in year.
    Sorry news is not better.
    Tony

That is sad news especially with the state of our exchange.

It really does appear that we are being excluded from any upgrades. I am just finding it hard to understand why. It is infuriating for us and I am sure that you guys are finding this thread irritating as we are continually harping on about the same problem for the past 3 years.

Tony - would you please flag the issues identified in this thread to your management and ask if they have any solutions. I am not sure if this will help, but I am really out of ideas now

Also, you say that you won't have another update until later in the year. Will that be in a few months or longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Paddysniper

Well at least we found Tony!!!

If I hear this ****e again about "well your line can handle 3mbps" even if we were miraculously getting that speed it's still pathetic.
    Then they have the cheek to half promise that there'll be fibre in a few months, bull****.
    The majority of the time you can't even watch the likes of youtube videos on wifi,
    the most simple and common task.

Well at least we found Tony!!!

If I hear this ****e again about "well your line can handle 3mbps" even if we were miraculously getting that speed it's still pathetic.
    Then they have the cheek to half promise that there'll be fibre in a few months, bull****.
    The majority of the time you can't even watch the likes of youtube videos on wifi,
    the most simple and common task.

Well most lines in kilmihil can handle a hell of a lot better than 3mb/s

In fact according to the Ireland offline map our exchange is capable of up to 24mb/s (ADSL2)

However.....

Our exchange only has access to 16mb/s via a microwave link. That is 16mb/s for the whole village and surrounding area. So the 3mb/s is an artificial limitation so that more people can access the data. This may have been ok once but the congestion at peak times has become crippling. For example 16mb/s is only enough for up to 8 people to watch Netflix / YouTube etc and that's not taking in account the majority using it for simple browsing / fb etc.

It is an abysmal service when you think about it.

To add insult to injury all of the isp's connected to the eircom run exchange are continuing to sell Internet connections thus continually making the matter worse. Average speeds are dropping and as stated before there is no proper functioning service at peak times due to massive congestion.

But hey, the isp's (eircom / vodafone / sky) connected and selling this service don't really give a toss as they are still getting their money as there is no real alternative or competition.

All this and areas far lower in population within a few miles of us are going to get fibre by the end of the year (cooraclare / doonbeg). I have tried to find out the rational of this but I just keep on getting fobbed off.

I have reported the issue to comreg and they have stated that they cannot force eircom to update the exchange or even stop them from selling ever increasing Internet connections. Comreg are toothless.

As I have said before it is infuriating by I am out of ideas. I have no where else to go. We are at the mercy of eircom - they are the only ones with the power to help and they have chosen not to.

indeed. 

and we pay the same fee to eircom or vodafone as someone in Ennis with 100MBps fibre... 
    and Vodafone are putting up their prices... (€38 a month instead of €35)

and the government joke broadband scheme, starting in 2017, aims to have everyone up to 30Mbps by 2020.
    meanwhile... eircom will be installing gigabit fibre to the home in big towns and cities..

so again, we'll be years behind everyone else.   1000Mbps in Ennis, 30Mbps in Kilmihil... 

....sense make doesn't....

Rep Tony et al,

Have you been able to escalate this issue, or at least, ensured that eircom line management are aware of the issues raised in this thread?

• Advertisement

Hi Reps, just following up with my last post.

Have you been able to escalate the issues specified in this thread to your line management.  If so did you get a response?  

Advertisement