Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You're charging what for a pint!?!?

Options
  • 18-04-2011 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

In town over the weekend and waiting on a friend in the Hairy Lemon so order a pint of Guinness - €5!!

I have to say I am not great at the whole price tracking thing when it comes to pubs as usually there is a round going and I just hand over whatever the cost of the round is.

Anyway - just wondering where in town is serving nice Guinness at what price? Be interesting to get some sort of a benchmark on the average pint price.

Plus anywhere that is providing some value for the drinking man?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Hairy Lemon is stupidly expensive, avoid like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Feck sake,thanks I won't be going there now ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Fibbers on thursdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Doheny & Nesbitts as of last weekend's Leinster game were charging €4.70 for a Guinness. Originally I started on Heineken but it was €5.40 a pint. Couldn't buy a pint of stout and lager for a tenner; ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Yeah Fibber's is great, €3 drinks Mondays and Thursdays, with a small admission fee.

Sub Lounge beside Tara St Station are €3.20 for pints, but I don't know what the Guinness is like.

I can't think of anywhere else that's cheap off the top of my head, but I think its usually about €4.20 - 4.50 for a pint around town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

McTurcaills on Townsend St do all pints for 3.50 midweek anyway. Not sure what they charge at weekends. But its good value when out watching a match or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Stevecw wrote: »
    McTurcaills on Townsend St do all pints for 3.50 midweek anyway. Not sure what they charge at weekends. But its good value when out watching a match or whatever.

Great spot too. I'm not a regular, but I've always liked a) the barmen/service, b) the prices and c) the clientele. Usually c) is the first to go when pints are cheap, not so here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Hairy Lemon is stupidly expensive, avoid like the plague.

Yup...on my list of banned pubs due to their high drinks prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I remember McDevitts on Wexford Street having fairly cheap pints. I'm almost certain they were below 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

pubs that charge that much for a pint should be avoided like a plague, recession or not. there is no justification for that price and i would say the pint wasnt the best was it op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

deluxe cafe bar on corner of capel street and parnell street also has pool table and dart board, all pints 3.30 before 6 sunday to tursday and 3.90 any other time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Actually pint was grand, but too damn expensive and it's not like the hairy lemon is anything 'special' that would command a price premium. Will be avoiding like the plague from here on in alright.

Beggars Bush on Haddington Road used to do a lovely pint that was excellent value and it's a grand boozer. Going back a few years, so things may have changed.

Last 'value' pint I had was in that pub under Stephens Green which keeps changing names. Last time I went past it seems to have changed again and lost its value pint promotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

€4 a pint for all house beers in Mssrs. Maguire. Great value, city centre and very good beer. Try their Brown Ale, it recently won beer of the year in The Porterhouse Irish Beer and Whiskey festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Diceys have amazing offers TBH. Special offers on all pints and bottles all night including alcopops and those strawberry beers like Kopperberg and the like.

Tuesday = €2
    Wednesday = €3
    Thursday = €3.50
    Friday = €4

Was in there last Friday night and they gave me a free platter of food aswell cos I reserved a table.

221607_10150540018540389_602010388_18090641_6494351_n.jpg

OM NOMS NOMS NOMS NOMS. Think they do it on Wed and Thurs aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Yup...on my list of banned pubs due to their high drinks prices.

+1 On my banned list too, Rip off merchants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Diceys have amazing offers TBH. Special offers on all pints and bottles all night including alcopops and those strawberry beers like Kopperberg and the like.

Tuesday = €2
    Wednesday = €3
    Thursday = €3.50
    Friday = €4

Was in there last Friday night and they gave me a free platter of food aswell cos I reserved a table.

OM NOMS NOMS NOMS NOMS. Think they do it on Wed and Thurs aswell.

Yes Dicey's is cheap but I won't go there out of principle - the ignorant animals they employ as door staff are the worst I have encountered in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

Neary's Lounge off Grafton St on Sunday - was charged €4.85 for a pint of Guinness. Definitely at the top end of price, but quality as well so...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kensworld

With the price of pints in some pubs, it's no wonder that people are drinking at home more

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Last time I was in Diceys, they raised the prices twice as the night went on.

Well I was handing them a fiver for a drink and getting change back from 6pm - 3.30am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Well I was handing them a fiver for a drink and getting change back from 6pm - 3.30am.

If I was in there from 6pm until 3.30am I wouldn't be 100% what price I was paying for the booze at last orders. ;)

Well truedat, but I must have drunk about 10 pints and had 3 shots and out of the 65 euros I brought out with me, I still had enough for a taxi home which was a tenner. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Hop House (The Shakespeare) on Parnell Street does Guinness for €4 and Baveria for €3.70. All day, every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Well truedat, but I must have drunk about 10 pints and had 3 shots and out of the 65 euros I brought out with me, I still had enough for a taxi home which was a tenner. \o/

I've had nights like that...... and then I find the credit card and ATM receipts! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a few pubs are selling tuborg on tap now for €3 a pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I dunno how anyone drinks in Dublin pubs. Pints are at least €1 more expensive than its nearest rival, Cork. Now I know many feel 'jaysus i what would i be doin dowan in dha bleeydin ****e hole fawr' but why do Dublin pubs feel they have the right to charge such high prices - even when the pub trade is collapsing on its knees?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

a few pubs are selling tuborg on tap now for €3 a pint

Seen this but mostly taste like piss water.

Same goes for the Bavaria for around 3.70 a pint. When im a on budget i tend to over look this as yes the price of drink around most spots of Dublin is crazy.

I find the working class areas are open to doing offers and cheaper drink. The so called upper class areas can not be arsed so **** them they can keep there expensive drink and plenty of other crap i wont mention :P.

I mostly drink around me locals in Rathcoole or down the road in Tallaght lot of nice pubs in either area and at least you know there trying to lower prices some what. Ive usually no problem paying 10 euro for 3 bottles or 3.50 or 3.00 for a pint in a pub if i chose to head out that night.

Diceys i have tried couple times and would not bother my arse with. Its over crowded most nights full of twats and the staff and door staff are pricks. I was turned away once one night and i had only had two drinks before even getting there. Only reason i could think of for this was i didnt fit in with the crowd they want in there place *Not done up to the nines or female enough :pac:*
    Nice jeans and shirt must not of been good enough for a Wednesday night in Diceys :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I dunno how anyone drinks in Dublin pubs. Pints are at least €1 more expensive than its nearest rival, Cork. Now I know many feel 'jaysus i what would i be doin dowan in dha bleeydin ****e hole fawr' but why do Dublin pubs feel they have the right to charge such high prices - even when the pub trade is collapsing on its knees?

They live on a different planet. I am delighted that it is only going to get worse because people my age (early 20s) just don't drink in pubs. Can't wait for them to finally crumble and give us proper prices

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ive drank in Cork a good few times on weekends down there. The city area similar to that of Dublin was pretty much the same price i didnt notice any big change. In fact i wasnt saving money at all. I could of drank cheaper in my local.

Maybe its different on the out skirts of Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

+1 On my banned list too, Rip off merchants
    theres a fine line between expensive and rip off....
    But they are the latter.

2 or 3 years ago paid €6.50 or something on a Sunday evening for a wee bottle of corona. Madness. (and it was for a mate so wasnt going to be a scab and ask him to pick something more cost effective!!)
    At least a pint for a fiver is 568ml of beery liquid.
    €6.50 for longneck though is €11.18 a pint!!!!

I can understand Cafe en Seine or some fancy pants place pulling the piss by using their "exclusivity" to justify the prices.

But Hairly lemon is a stinkin hole.
    They should have cheaper prices in order to excuse the smell of the place.
    Kip.
    €11.18 a pint is just wrong!!

Advertisement